The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Jun

Infinite Motorsports at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) - Monday, June 17th, 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Not to be all pedantic, but it is known to enthusiasts as Mosport. Not Mossport as many people erroneously call it, or MoSport as many erroneously spell it. It is Mosport. Or Mosport Park as it was known in 1961 when it opened. It is a contraction of the word Motorsport. Many people believe it was named after Stirling Moss, which is not correct.

There is a corner, Turn 5, known as Moss Corner, that was indeed named after the great driver Stirling Moss.

And to treble down, it is now officially known as CTMP which stands for Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. Canadian Tire is a major hardware and automotive retailer in Canada and has owned the naming rights at Mosport for a very long time.

But to all old gearheads like me, it will always be Mosport. Say it as Moesport, not Mossport.

I was there for the first race ever in 1961 and cannot begin to estimate how many times I've been since. I live 15 minutes away, so it's a lot of days spent out there at the holy grail of Canadian Motorsport.

Carry on.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
@JDee , you are exactly who I need to talk to.

1st, I had to Google what Pedantic means. I'll work that into future conversations with others.

2nd, how do Canadian track days differ from their American counterparts? Anything wildly different like formats, tech, registration, etc, I should Know about?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pickering Ontario Canada
@JDee , you are exactly who I need to talk to.

1st, I had to Google what Pedantic means. I'll work that into future conversations with others.

2nd, how do Canadian track days differ from their American counterparts? Anything wildly different like formats, tech, registration, etc, I should Know about?
There are many different types of track days at CTMP (Mosport), some are put on by various clubs, some are put on by various shops/dealers, there is a calendar on the CTMP website each year for the events on the different days of each month. Track days during weekdays usually, events during weekends (sometimes including Fridays).

Usually at track days there are multiple sessions in the morning and afternoon, frequently broken up in to groups of novice, experienced, and things in between. Sometimes there are lots of attendees, sometimes not so many, depends a lot on who is putting on the track day, the cost, and the weather forecast. I have been to track days with few attendees, and I have been there with lots of others on the track at the same time.

Be aware that CTMP is a very high average speed track, with only one really slow corner (Corner 5 at the south end of the track), I have seen grown men cry after wadding up all four corners of their shiny performance street vehicles when overwhelmed by "inappropriate corner speed".

If you have a full blown race car you will be mixed in with non race cars, but I have never had a problem with that at any track day, the organizers usually do a great job keeping those of similar skills together at both ends of the scale.

Now lets take a lap around CTMP, I previously owned this car but sold it to Blaise (he's a pro driver), I used this car at both track days and CASC and VARAC events.

TMO Supporting Vendors