The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

JUST AS WE THOUGHT!

BLAZN BOSS

http://themustangsource.com/dyno-battle-2013-gt500-vs-2013-camaro-zl1-973/#more-973
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Way to run over the dyno strap buckle dufus! :D Can't wait to see the track results... ::)
 
Ouch. That's a major spanking right there. They should be much closer on a road course with the ZL1 using the magical MAG suspension. The GT500 sounds better than the ZL1 too. Of course the Boss sounds better than both. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yZBKBf8Zsjo[/youtube]
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
It is so refreshing to be able to read threads like this without some automatic-haha-no-value-add comments seen on other parts of the internet... Aaaaahhhh :)
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
I am really curious to see how the mag shocks vs. more HP and a better balanced car duke it out. If they have a pro driver, my guess is the mag shocks mean less. If they have a shnook, it will mean more.
 
As soon as I see one of those 'gov.aros' on the street I am buying a supercharger for the BOSS ;D No joke. I will be damned before I let one of those pieces of crap beat my Boss :eek:
 
5 DOT 0 said:
They should be much closer on a road course with the ZL1 using the magical MAG suspension.

To address those curves, the new GT500 gets optional electronically-adjustable Bilstein shocks. Part of the Performance package—which also includes a Torsen limited-slip diff and Recaro seats—the Bilstein dampers offer drivers a choice of Normal and Sport modes. If you intend to unleash your Shelby on a closed course, you might want to opt for the Track package, too. It adds supplementary coolers for the engine oil, differential, and transmission.

So both will offer a magical suspension..............
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
Remotely and electronically adjustable (which is what the '13 GT500 has I believe) is not the same a dynamic computer controlled mag shocks. The shocks in the ZL1 (as much as I hate to admit it) are constantly adjusting to driving conditions many times a second.

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of cars that do too much of the driving for you - even if it decreaes lap times. If I was racing for $$$ then I might thing differently.
 
PeteInCT said:
Remotely and electronically adjustable (which is what the '13 GT500 has I believe) is not the same a dynamic computer controlled mag shocks. The shocks in the ZL1 (as much as I hate to admit it) are constantly adjusting to driving conditions many times a second.

Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of cars that do too much of the driving for you - even if it decreaes lap times. If I was racing for $$$ then I might thing differently.
Me neither but the suspension on the ZL1 is excellent. Let's face it, it is good enough that Ferrari licenses it from GM. I have no doubt the GT500 will be well behaved but the reviews of the ZL1's on track manners have been impressive. Not that I'd ever buy one of course. ;)
 

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I am a newbie/novice when it comes to performance, but I noticed the Camaro redlines at what looks like 6100 RPM on their Tach and the Shelby redlines at 7000 RPM. I would think it would be better with the Shelby having that room at the top for overall flexibility and performance when racing. Is that correct thinking?

Brian
 
batman48195 said:
I am a newbie/novice when it comes to performance, but I noticed the Camaro redlines at what looks like 6100 RPM on their Tach and the Shelby redlines at 7000 RPM. I would think it would be better with the Shelby having that room at the top for overall flexibility and performance when racing. Is that correct thinking?

Brian
Too many variables to make a call solely based on redline. From my motorcycle and kart experiences I prefer higher revving engines and would be very happy with a 8,500 redline on our cars. ;D
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
batman48195 said:
I am a newbie/novice when it comes to performance, but I noticed the Camaro redlines at what looks like 6100 RPM on their Tach and the Shelby redlines at 7000 RPM. I would think it would be better with the Shelby having that room at the top for overall flexibility and performance when racing. Is that correct thinking?

Brian
Too many variables to make a call solely based on redline. From my motorcycle and kart experiences I prefer higher revving engines and would be very happy with a 8,500 redline on our cars. ;D

We have one except for damn PCM programming ! Can you imagine this beast at 8400 ? ::)
 
PeteInCT said:
5 DOT 0 said:
batman48195 said:
I am a newbie/novice when it comes to performance, but I noticed the Camaro redlines at what looks like 6100 RPM on their Tach and the Shelby redlines at 7000 RPM. I would think it would be better with the Shelby having that room at the top for overall flexibility and performance when racing. Is that correct thinking?

Brian
Too many variables to make a call solely based on redline. From my motorcycle and kart experiences I prefer higher revving engines and would be very happy with a 8,500 redline on our cars. ;D

We have one except for damn PCM programming ! Can you imagine this beast at 8400 ? ::)
Having recently driven a couple of cars with 8,500 redlines I can imagine it quite vividly. Now if we can add two more cylinders. ;)
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
Nah, just burns too much petrol. You don't want one if those German engines anyway,they have no 'soul like our 302 !
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
I don't think the GT500 is going to have any trouble with the ZL1 after watching this. Ex cats plus intake and tune this car might have 40 more HP over stock max.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=169JFXbccBs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

And for laughs:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229931
thats so funny that a boss with little bolt ons walked that ZL1. the forum link says invalid when I click on it though
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top