The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen1 LONG TERM PROJECT CAR Build Thread Profile - Gen 1 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
getting kind of frustrated with the 67... replaced the transmission output seal twice in one night now... still puking fluid at the tailshaft..
Any hints for a Tremec TR3550 seal replacement?
Any other causes for the leak?

Make sure the driveshaft is the correct diameter for the seal and that it doesn't have any grooves in it. You may also have to replace the tailshaft bushing (I'm not sure what scheme Tremec uses for this) but there is a trick tool that let's you remove the old one and install a new one without pulling the tailhousing off.

GB899, Don't think of giving up the ship just yet!!!!!.....You will reap the rewards of this journey one day and be thankful you took it!!!!!!!!.......I love the look of a 67/68 Mustang.....:hellyeah:......Quote of the day............" Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark".......................................................................

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
BS1 is spot on about the bushing. If the bushing is worn, the seal won’t have a chance. It will look good but will leak because the yoke is not centered and oil will get past the seal.
Another thing to check, although not common is the plug in the yoke. The plug sealing the opening on the joint side. It’s uncommon for these to leak but it does happen.

Last edited:

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
well after 3 new output seals we discovered that it was the yoke after all.. new yoke to show up today... old driveshaft is back in temporarily... yoke may be covered under warranty - they need to inspect it first... if not driveshaft may be a fraction of an inch too long.. ugh... hoping it is a defect... looked at the yoke and it doesn't look damaged...

20231005_165321.jpg

20231005_165350.jpg

20231005_165113.jpg

20231002_171734.jpg

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
well after 3 new output seals we discovered that it was the yoke after all.. new yoke to show up today... old driveshaft is back in temporarily... yoke may be covered under warranty - they need to inspect it first... if not driveshaft may be a fraction of an inch too long.. ugh... hoping it is a defect... looked at the yoke and it doesn't look damaged...

View attachment 90460

View attachment 90461

View attachment 90462

View attachment 90463
Its not common, but it happens.
Good luck.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
drove the 67 to a show and shine this chilly evening... still has the old driveshaft in... that car is a beast... hopefully will get the yoke swapped out and back to what it is supposed to be... This winters project will be the interior.. new seats & dash are the big pieces.. debating whether the backseat stays in... it's a fold down so I can put in a shelf without changing the look much... and lose a bunch of weight...

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
drove the 67 to a show and shine this chilly evening... still has the old driveshaft in... that car is a beast... hopefully will get the yoke swapped out and back to what it is supposed to be... This winters project will be the interior.. new seats & dash are the big pieces.. debating whether the backseat stays in... it's a fold down so I can put in a shelf without changing the look much... and lose a bunch of weight...
I’m with Bob. Stock all the way for the interior.
Be sure to replace all the padding in the seat cushions and backs. A good set of hog ring pliers go a long way over the cheaper kinds. Besure to post pics as the inside comes alive.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel