The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Low production number, why care?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw this thread: https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-classifieds/2013-boss-ls-wanted/msg29100/?boardseen#new

And made me wonder, beyond something like car #1, a favorite number or #302, why do people want a low production number? Is it because of the idea that later numbers are built with worn out die's and therefore lesser quality?

Thanks.

Boss3o2

The same reason why Ford, Shelby, Roush, Saleen etc. does it. U.S MFG's have really exhausted the whole " limited " word, and I feel bad for the guys with there uber low mileage cars, worth less then what they paid (minus taxes, insurance, registration, and maintenance). Personally, I think it is foolish to purchase one of these cars for some sort of investment dream. If I keep mine forever, I hope to have a lot track kills, and 100k miles worth of memories built into the car. That is where my investment lies... I'll let the next owner after me, say " What idiot drove his Laguna Seca and racked all these miles up! :mad: "

;)

Seriously guys - Drive, and enjoy them! Life is too short....

Eric

BLAZN BOSS

Low serial numbers have always been desireable in cars. Just like options...........Now nobody has a crystal ball to say yes or no that these cars will be sought after in latter years. The debate can go on until the day comes. Now, as far as these cars go the first ones still had the bugs..wrong clutch bolts, different gear oil for the trannys...etc, so.........its anyones call whats gonna be valuable but if I were forced to bet, these may have a chance of holding value.

Boss3o2 said:
The same reason why Ford, Shelby, Roush, Saleen etc. does it. U.S MFG's have really exhausted the whole " limited " word, and I feel bad for the guys with there uber low mileage cars, worth less then what they paid (minus taxes, insurance, registration, and maintenance). Personally, I think it is foolish to purchase one of these cars for some sort of investment dream. If I keep mine forever, I hope to have a lot track kills, and 100k miles worth of memories built into the car. That is where my investment lies... I'll let the next owner after me, say " What idiot drove his Laguna Seca and racked all these miles up! :mad: "

;)

Seriously guys - Drive, and enjoy them! Life is too short....

Eric

EXACTLY what I'm gonna do. We could be dead next year! And if that would really be the case we better enjoy the hell out of the car now.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
askjeffro said:
Okay, so the idea is they may be more collectible. I get #1, but #15? ...

http://www.motorsportsartist.com/carart/2009/11/parnelli-jones-1970-trans-am-mustang/

I was not lucky enough to get any of my special numbers, or combinations of special numbers. So now I have a new lucky number ;D

But I also bought my car on Friday the 13th, so my new lucky number just cancels that out.

ace72ace said:
askjeffro said:

http://www.motorsportsartist.com/carart/2009/11/parnelli-jones-1970-trans-am-mustang/

lol, I should have thought of that. I'm a bug PJ fan. Okay, #14 then.

Boss3o2

askjeffro said:
ace72ace said:
askjeffro said:

lol, I should have thought of that. I'm a bug PJ fan. Okay, #14 then.

Sorry, Jeff. 14 was P.J's lucky number, so thats likely to be worth some money as well. Pick another. LOL! :p

When I ordered my boss, I did'nt really think to much about the Production number. Unless it ended up being #1 or 302 would have been nice. But, my allocation was to late in the year for that. So when It finally showed up at the dealership after about 6 months of waiting, I was kinda of curious the number of it. Anyway, it turned out to be #2013 after seeing that I thought it would have been kinda cool, if it would have been #2012 same as the year but O'well. Just glad it finally showed up and can own one of these great cars. ;D

Georgia
Well maybe I am biased since I own a 4th Qtr allocation, but I would have to agree that unless you own #1, I really do not see much added interest(value) in an early vs. later numbered car.

If the later cars had different parts, modifications, etc. ( I am talking about more than just trans fluid TSB or clutch bolts, etc.) then the early cars might be more interesting. For example the '66 Shelby's, the early cars were actually carryover '65 models so there are significant differences between early and late numbers.

Just my rambling thoughts... ;D

I think that a specific number applied to a vehicle is more of a selling 'feature' than an attribute of value and tends to be hyperbole.

There may be some specific numbers or a number that is of some personal value to a specific buyer but on the whole I think this subject is one where those who have a specific number tend to qualify it as something more valuable than what it actually is.

Of course, like real estate or stocks, an item is of that value for what one wants to pay for it but beyond that only decades will tell. But until then, it's fodder to talk about at meets.

TMO Supporting Vendors