The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Macho Man NV Salvage Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I spoke with Cortex this time last year but was told they didn't have a solution for running their SLA with the factory S550 K-member, nor did they have anything planned at the time. I'd certainly be interested in something like that though.
I believe the SLA from an s197 will bolt to the s550 if I am not mistaken. Might be a bigger solution than you're looking for but it is an option.
I would call and verify that what I believe to be the case is accurate.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern California
I believe the SLA from an s197 will bolt to the s550 if I am not mistaken. Might be a bigger solution than you're looking for but it is an option.
I would call and verify that what I believe to be the case is accurate.
Filip did confirm the SLA with their K-member will bolt right in. It seems using the SLA with the OEM S550 K-member is the issue. I'll call just to confirm though!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Filip did confirm the SLA with their K-member will bolt right in. It seems using the SLA with the OEM S550 K-member is the issue. I'll call just to confirm though!
If Cortex has a solution, it will be a good one.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I would avoid either of those K-Member options (and most of them over the years we have not seen hold up well to the rigors of road racing, anyways). CorteX has an offering that is well-tested. Or options to put an SLA on the front of the car like mine, while using the factory K.
Dang. That was my gut feeling all along too, given by the lack of support from some who I'd expect it from, and those who chose to. Business side of me says that the potential market isn't worth any R&D cost/time, and with the platform being out for a while now, those who are going to do it probably already have, or have the means to do it custom/in-house. Glad to hear that there's a solution out from Cortex that isn't too much of a hodge-podge so the s550s aren't totally left out in the cold.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Handle me with care
Physical front, no updates. Calls to a shitty HMO and getting runarounds and shitty medical offices who are well, I guess wholly inept and incapable of seeing me, so with the holiday weekend and whatnot, it'll be December, 10+ weeks since that incident. I guess there aren't really any other options other than to medicate or operate, and I only need their help for one of those options. No stranger to pain breaking legs, hand, blowing up my knees, but little/no improvement halfway through the 3-4 month estimate that I got 2 months ago is the part that's quietly tearing me up. I still go out to our events, hug and kiss babies, cheer and support the homies however I can, but man, this f***ing sucks. With less than 2 months to go to our season opener, even if the car magically is ready to go, I'm likely not. Sucks. It probably won't be, but my rarely mature mind says that it's a whole new car, and I'm going to have to shakedown, likely find out parts are broken or not entirely in great condition.

The waiting is the hardest part
Haven't been totally sitting on my hands this whole time though.

20221107_130801.jpg20221107_204947.jpg
So last we spoke, I've stripped the Stripper, and had some giggles along the way, like I guess I need to lose even more weight for next season out. I think I was like 195 when I did this, but I'd guess there's some physics that played a roll in these.

20221114_103136.jpg
Cage acquired, and thanks to some of you whom I consulted, ended up going with a TrackSpec cage which is better geared towards tall, devastatingly handsome men, such as myself. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Autopower cage I had in before, was just looking at getting something set up shortly. That, and trying to keep up the status quo, as my friends in non-crashed cars went with their Camaro cages this offseason too. Glad to see more getting solidified and raising their safety game though, plus, I was taking on another 175-200 pounds that they weren't, so, I guess a slightly more level playing ground.

Still trying to figure out the logistics of it right now, as Macho Man (ooooh yeah) is about 90 minutes north, and the Stripper is in my garage. My friends offering to weld up are down here, and the car is up there. I'm sure I'll figure something out, just trying to think of places or friends down this way who can loan out a garage and electricity for a few days.

20221122_165018.jpg
Had a moment free to do some unboxing and check out the Optic Armor Windows. Thanks for the heads up about them potentially taking a while, called and grab one of the last sets they had, clear 1/4" front, and a light tint 3/16" rear. I don't know what thickness the OEM glass is, but my inaccurate bathroom scale and quick math shows the front at 16-17#, and the rear is much smaller, and 7-8#, which puts the front glass around 30# and having to wrap and lift it out on back to back days a few weeks ago, yeah, sounds about right. I found humor in the INSPECT THE GLASS OR ELSE stickers, because like, I was tracking with a decent sized side-to-side crack windshield for like the past year.

20221122_165519.jpg
Also got two sets of Watson's solid Coyote mounts. Why two? Well, I'm one of those jerks with 2m Fabrication Long tubes, which seem to never be the same thing twice, some people just toss them on, and some people toss them on, bang the shiznit out of them to get the steering shaft through, and then bang them again to clear the K and trans tunnels and whatnot. I'm going to try my best to get it with the shorty and lower my CoG a touch, and if that doesn't work for some reason, well, I've got the stock height set too.

Also decided against both of the K-members, not that I really have a distaste for BMR or Steeda (or do I ... DUN DUN DUNNNN) ... but at the last event I was talking to the powers that be in my region (and nationally too) and both of those would be assessed the dreaded body modification penalty in Super Touring 2 (and probably 1-4) which I'm trying to avoid. While I was looking at them for just weight savings, they can also improve the geometry over the stock OEM K-Member, giving me what could be seen as an advantage over those who don't have that. Sure, some vehicles and editions come more track-oriented from the factory than others, but at my desired power/weight level, it'd have to really, really improve things. I don't doubt that the Cortex would fix things up bigtime, and that's why it likely carries a hefty price tag for the quality, materials, and R&D time, but even if money wasn't an issue, it takes me from a car pretty much at the ST2/TT2 boundary and puts around middle of ST1/TT1. Although, in all honestly, I'm probably still going to move up to, something I had been mentioning back in the Stripper thread too, because if I'm beating the 1's in 2 form, I might be the one who helps us all get into free tire territory.

Great Wide Open
Thanksgiving a few days away, just wanted to share my thanks and appreciation to all of you listening, helping, and reading. As much as I want to say that I'm doing it all on my own, that's not entirely correct as I'm up all hours of the night bouncing ideas off you, even have a few part-time internet pick-a-part bloodhounds finding me part after part, and the best dang track fam there is. I am definitely the one crashing it into walls and driving it across the grass and kicking up giant ass clouds of dust that tend to outlive the car. As I'm in one of those retail-related industries where we are pretty much work around the clock for the next week or so, I'll be looking forward to your turduckens and whatnot. Don't feel sorry for me though, the stuffing, biscuits, and mashed potatoes, to me, are better than the Turkey anyhow, and I can't wait to pick them up on a crazy discount like two days after Cyber Monday.

I also have two 2018 GT's, base and premium that I'm trying to gut, so if you know anybody looking for something, especially the less popular, chances are I have it. Cannot tell you how many times I've been asked for a front bumper, hood, leather seats, or digital dash though. I've actually rented a storage unit just to make more space in my garage. Maybe I'll give away an evap core to a lucky reader who can guess a number between 1 and 2.
good god I hope somebody gets that, the Tom Petty references, or all the times I've written white on white over the years

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors