The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW shifter one week review update 2012 and 2013 Boss

Ok so I have had the mgw shifter system in my boss for a full week and wanted to just review it so people whom do not have it could get an idea of just how good it is. I can really only say one thing, if you are a daily driver or racer it does not matter the shifter fixes allot of shifting problems that I can feel and hear. It goes into gear solid, no feeling of did it go in all the way like the stock shifter. The stock shifter on ALL 2012 and 2013 Bosses do the same thing they are crap. There is nothing to say for the stock shifter, I won’t even put my takeout for sale on eBay. I can’t sell crap like that to someone, its junk. After installing the mgw, every shift is for sure and sounds right unlike the stock one. I have no doubt that a woman can install the shifter with ease, not saying women are not tough just saying look it is easy and does not take allot of muscle to do, just follow directions. So I have shifted hard, soft, fast, and slow. Every shift has been positive 100%. The first few days it felt a bit tight, breaking in period as told by mgw. I get in my car anytime knowing it is going to shift correctly. There is another important mod you do need to do to the boss, it is take out the mistake ford made of the spring on the clutch pedal it is a flat out bad idea. I am sure this will grow as everyone in the groups I’ve talked to so far says the same thing 'take the spring off the clutch' pedal there are write ups on it. Without the mgw I was going to trade my boss in for the crappy shifting it HAD now I am keeping it.
 
Good to hear your thoughts, three weeks yesterday on order, driving to Carlisle All Ford on May 30, hope I will have it by then. My tranny was not been as bad as others, so there is no way I would sell her off.
 
I'm glad the MGW made a big difference for you. I'm running the stock shifter with a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid and mine shifts like butter. Not all the MT82's are bad and in fact most aren't. I've never missed a 1-4 shift at redline on the street and only a couple of times on the track while I was in traffic. That said I'll probably order a MGW later this year.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
I'm glad the MGW made a big difference for you. I'm running the stock shifter with a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid and mine shifts like butter. Not all the MT82's are bad and in fact most aren't. I've never missed a 1-4 shift at redline on the street and only a couple of times on the track while I was in traffic. That said I'll probably order a MGW later this year.

What does that bracket do? I looked at the Steeda site but couldn't figure out what part that is.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
I'm glad the MGW made a big difference for you. I'm running the stock shifter with a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline MTL fluid and mine shifts like butter. Not all the MT82's are bad and in fact most aren't. I've never missed a 1-4 shift at redline on the street and only a couple of times on the track while I was in traffic. That said I'll probably order a MGW later this year.
You will like the mgw much better. My trans worked fine. I installed the shifter for a more positive shift, if you can find someone close to you whom has one it is worth the time to go check it out. That bracket is fine, but the stock shifter body moves all over the place. I watched from under the car before I removed the stock shifter as my son moved the shifter, the entire body and bracket moved all over the place. It was pretty sad to see thinking damn they put a junk shifter in a nice car.
 
Jeep.....can u explain more about the clutch spring your talking about? A guy I know owns a new GT and said the same thing about it but I was clueless as to what he was getting at. I wasn't sure if our Boss's had the same "helper" spring he talked about.

Removal directions would be great foul too. Thanks in advance.
 
SUPRMN said:
Jeep.....can u explain more about the clutch spring your talking about? A guy I know owns a new GT and said the same thing about it but I was clueless as to what he was getting at. I wasn't sure if our Boss's had the same "helper" spring he talked about.

Removal directions would be great foul too. Thanks in advance.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/topic/14258-clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it/

I took mine off yesterday at work. I only have to 7400RPM shifts and it didn't stick. I'll drive the car next week and get a few dozen redline shifts to see if it's fixed..
 
jeepinocala said:
Ok so I have had the mgw shifter system in my boss for a full week and wanted to just review it so people whom do not have it could get an idea of just how good it is I can really only say one thing if you are a daily driver or racer it does not matter the shifter fixes alot of shifting problems that I can feel and hear it goes into gear solid no feeling of did it go in all the way like the stock shifter. the stock shifter on ALL 2012 and 2013 Bosses do the same thing they are crap. there is nothing to say for the stock shifter I wont even put my takeout for sale on ebay I cant sell crap like that to someone its junk after installing the mgw every shift it for sure and sounds right unlike the stock one. I have no doubts that a woman can install the shifter with ease not saying women are not tough just saying look it is easy does not take alot of muscle to do just follow directions. so I have shifted hard soft fast slow every shift has been positive 100%. the first few days it felt a bit tight breaking in period as told by mgw but I get in my car anytime knowing it is going to shift correctly. there is another important mod you do need to do to the boss it is take out the misstake ford made of the spring on the clutch pedal it is a flat out bad idea I am sure this will grow as everyone in the groups ive talked to so far says the same thing take the spring off the clutch pedal there are write ups on it. Without the mgw I was going to trade my boss in for the crappy shifting it HAD now I am keeping it.

Hi Jeep, I was also disappointed with the stock Boss shifter. On many occassions, when I got the RPM's up higher on the tach, I was unable to get the car into 3rd gear! The engine on this car is amazing but the shifter is just rubbish. Why would you put such a bad shifter in an awesome car!? I think my old 97 honda civic had a better shifter....

From all the raving reviews of the MGW shifter, I'm convinced that I must get one...well that is if I don't sell my Boss for an M3....
 
95blitz

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/topic/14258-clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it/

I took mine off yesterday at work. I only have to 7400RPM shifts and it didn't stick. I'll drive the car next week and get a few dozen redline shifts to see if it's fixed.




That is a great link! Thanks for the info. I may just try this. I would like alittle more pedal feel.
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
ORANGE CRUSH said:
95blitz

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/topic/14258-clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it/

I took mine off yesterday at work. I only have to 7400RPM shifts and it didn't stick. I'll drive the car next week and get a few dozen redline shifts to see if it's fixed.




That is a great link! Thanks for the info. I may just try this. I would like alittle more pedal feel.
This link was posted 2 weeks ago.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/one-lap-shift-fix-fail/

Use the search feature on this forum. You'll find it quite useful as there is a lot of good info posted sometimes long ago. In your case do a search on clutch sticking.

Good Luck.

MMD
 
Here is the original wording, and its "Do I feel Lucky?"

BTW, I'm a fan of Boss 302s, Inspector Calahan, 44 magnums, Smith and the other guy, Wesson.

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?". Well, do ya, punk?

"Hey, I gots to know".
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have had it just as long

in stock form with stock shifter daily driving no problems shifted just fine

shift that mother in anger from 2-3 good luck finding third in any kind of speedy fashion. cost me .5 in a 1/4 mile run trying that.

got the mgw shifter now. along with dss driveshaft and mtl redline fluid. no complaints at all not zero zip best shifting car I have ever owned and i have owned lots. if you miss third on an up shift or fourth on a down shift its your own damn fault at this point and you need some 101 on how to drive a manual at this point

if I just bought my boss all over again my mod list is in order of must have is
mgw shifter
dss driveshaft
redline mtl fluid*** three of them for how smooth is made the shifts
k&N drop in filter
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Bossfan said:
For BOSS2511:
Would you please describe the two a little further?: "dss driveshaft and mtl redline fluid". I am not a wrench.

I assume the "mtl redline" is the trans fluid.
What is advantage of the dss driveshaft?
the drive shaft from dss made it smoother and not make that clunk sound when pushing in the clutch or letting it out that happens a lot with the stock one in place
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
boss2511 said:
I have had it just as long

in stock form with stock shifter daily driving no problems shifted just fine

shift that mother in anger from 2-3 good luck finding third in any kind of speedy fashion. cost me .5 in a 1/4 mile run trying that.

got the mgw shifter now. along with dss driveshaft and mtl redline fluid. no complaints at all not zero zip best shifting car I have ever owned and i have owned lots. if you miss third on an up shift or fourth on a down shift its your own damn fault at this point and you need some 101 on how to drive a manual at this point

if I just bought my boss all over again my mod list is in order of must have is
mgw shifter
dss driveshaft
redline mtl fluid*** three of them for how smooth is made the shifts
k&N drop in filter
Justin,

I like your suggested mods but I would indicate these as being your performance mods. I say this as I would personally recommend a Clear-Bra as being the very first thing to do. Also, I would shift your 2nd and 3rd recommendations down to 3 and 4. I would recommend the JHR high volume clutch line as #2. These four recommends are up there on my first to-do list along with CB and window tint.

MMD
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:
I have had it just as long

in stock form with stock shifter daily driving no problems shifted just fine

shift that mother in anger from 2-3 good luck finding third in any kind of speedy fashion. cost me .5 in a 1/4 mile run trying that.

got the mgw shifter now. along with dss driveshaft and mtl redline fluid. no complaints at all not zero zip best shifting car I have ever owned and i have owned lots. if you miss third on an up shift or fourth on a down shift its your own damn fault at this point and you need some 101 on how to drive a manual at this point

if I just bought my boss all over again my mod list is in order of must have is
mgw shifter
dss driveshaft
redline mtl fluid*** three of them for how smooth is made the shifts
k&N drop in filter
Justin,

I like your suggested mods but I would indicate these as being your performance mods. I say this as I would personally recommend a Clear-Bra as being the very first thing to do. Also, I would shift your 2nd and 3rd recommendations down to 3 and 4. I would recommend the JHR high volume clutch line as #2. These four recommends are up there on my first to-do list along with CB and window tint.

MMD
clear bra sure make #5 the clutch line yeah after.....the shifter and fluid
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Bossfan said:
Here is the original wording, and its "Do I feel Lucky?"

BTW, I'm a fan of Boss 302s, Inspector Calahan, 44 magnums, Smith and the other guy, Wesson.

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?". Well, do ya, punk?

"Hey, I gots to know".
Bossfan,

I have no doubt Harry Callahan said those words that will live in infamy. I believe though if Harry had a Boss 302 he may have said something different. I have taken creative liberty to add what I think he might have said if he had a 302. ;)

Also, Harry's spiel is 364 characters long, including white space, and would exceed the 300 character limit imposed by this forum.

MMD
 
MakeMyDay said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:
95blitz

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/topic/14258-clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it/

I took mine off yesterday at work. I only have to 7400RPM shifts and it didn't stick. I'll drive the car next week and get a few dozen redline shifts to see if it's fixed.




That is a great link! Thanks for the info. I may just try this. I would like alittle more pedal feel.
This link was posted 2 weeks ago.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/one-lap-shift-fix-fail/

Use the search feature on this forum. You'll find it quite useful as there is a lot of good info posted sometimes long ago. In your case do a search on clutch sticking.

Good Luck.

MMD

Yup and thats where I found the link. Right after you posted it..
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,239
70
Bossfan said:
For BOSS2511:
Would you please describe the two a little further?: "dss driveshaft and mtl redline fluid". I am not a wrench.

I assume the "mtl redline" is the trans fluid.
What is advantage of the dss driveshaft?

When I was shopping for an aluminum DS, boss2511 showed me this link from DSS. You can order one through Lethal Performance (with another forum's discount code if you are a member) for just over $700. Is this mod essential? Really tough call, but for those that buy the MGW (myself included, should ship soon), it would really complete this awesome drive train. A lot of marketing spin on this link, but they need to shout out about their product, so it's all good.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-driveshafts/ford/ford-2011-12-mustang-gt-6-speed-manual-1-piece-aluminum-shaft-with-cv-900hp-3-1-2-aluminum-1350-has-no-clearance-issues
 
I had problems at first with the paint chipping, but it has settled and have not had any since it turned hot out. I am wondering if that will be a winter problem? But yeah clear bra would be the first thing then mgw shifter then qtp for the side pipes. As the list goes on and on but those three are a major as far as I am concerned.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top