The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a used MGW shifter with around a couple thousand miles on it,shifter is the second version and is in excellent condition with heat shield that has never been used and a 24x24 piece of dyna mat and a new factory boot and grease.Essentially this is a new set up. 325.00 shipped
Phil

blazin boss said:
Am I asking to much for this shifter its just like new.
phil

For me, yes. For $75 more, I can get a brand new, never used, direct from the company. Personally i would take the new one unless I was getting a great deal. Just my opinion.

I agree with Jza. Just not worth that little of savings to me for a new product. Have you thought about posting it on some regular mustang forums? People there might be more interested in it since there are a lot of kids on a tight budget. Just a thought. GLWS.

I understand but this is just as good as a new one,never tracked and after talking with george he informed me that this shifter with this many miles is as good as new.
Phil

blazin boss said:
I understand but this is just as good as a new one,never tracked and after talking with george he informed me that this shifter with this many miles is as good as new.
Phil
I'm not disagreeing with you, . I'm just telling you why I think you aren't getting any bites. Plus, there is always the uncertainty of buying from an individual you don't know so the additional $75 so people might see as insurance. I wouldn't have an issue buying yours if I didn't already have one.

I'm sure it's fine and will work perfectly. To save $75 I'd rather get one brand new from the company. Plus anyone can say anything on the internet. Look at how many people believe the world is ending Friday. For my peace of mind I would buy direct from the company. But that's me.
List it on eBay, Craigslist, other forums. It's also about timing. You need someone to want it at the same time your selling it. Increase your coverage area.

It is on my list of mods but my winter mod budget is almost finished.

Harnesses, go pro, Hans device, DBA rotors, rims, tires, and M&M plates. Enough spent for me. Maybe during the year or next winter I'll be in the market :)

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
I Agree...All used part purchases are a gamble. Yes, you say it is " As good as new" or in your case you claim" better then new". But, everyone here has been down this road before, and nothing is like new, or better then new, unless it is NEW. Typically used, but good performance parts go for around 30-50% of their original value. It's tough, and if you have ever been burned on a part or order, then you would know the feeling. I am very careful, but have still gotten burned, part of paying your dues I suppose. I once ordered a bunch of aluminum body panels with wings and all for a dragster, not cheap, and never seen a single part. I have never paid in advance since! Never. Same with your shifter, yes you sy it is good, and you seem honest and straight forward, but so did the shop I sent a coupld thousand dollars, right before they closed their doors. It's always a chance you take, so yes I too would rather spend the $75 for the peace of mind of having a NEW part with at least a chance of warranty.
Car have a rotten ROE, almost as bad as boats, but harder to get rid of. Unless it's over the top fabulous and you find a fool that loves it like you did with deep pockets, you can always expect to lose by 35-50%.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
MGW has to be an 'atypical' used part.

1) It's built like a tank out of the toughest materials around. Kinda like buying a used Kayak that was never dropped, or otherwise abused. It's a solid piece of plastic... (not that the MGW is plastic, the analogy is that it's bulletproof)

2) MGW's are custom made, and orders take weeks to fill. For someone who wants/needs the part right away, this would be a good deal.

3) As long as the seller has good pix of the item, and a paypal account, there shouldn't be a whole lot of risk on a part like this, but that's not so say there's zero risk, but that's why you are getting a discount.

As the seller has the dynamat sheet and grease, as well as the heat shield, it sounds reasonable. IMHO there is no reason why this part should be discounted 30% never mind 50%.

Good luck with the sale! If you still have it I can drop a note to a guy I met who just replaced his totaled Mustang who loved the MGW in my Boss. He may be interested... [edit - not 'til spring. got a PM back, so if you still have it in a few months you may have a buyer]

List it on ebay and find out what it's really worth. It seems 90% of the guys on this forum alreday have an MGW on their car. You might not be marketing to the right people.

yknot

Hobbies: Hot Rods & Shooting
I have to agree, the shifter may be " Built like a Tank" although being a former M1 tank crewman/gunner, I doubt that very much. The poster before was exactly right, your way over priced. Yes, I like to see people get a good deal, and the seller recoup there money, but honestly used parts are used parts and generally fall in the 60-50% range. For $75.00 more, I can get a new replacement shifter with free shipping, so what would make me buy the used thing you have? Sorry, reality generally wins, and if you want to sell you shifter, lower the price accordingly.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yknot said:
I have to agree, the shifter may be " Built like a Tank" although being a former M1 tank crewman/gunner, I doubt that very much. The poster before was exactly right, your way over priced. Yes, I like to see people get a good deal, and the seller recoup there money, but honestly used parts are used parts and generally fall in the 60-50% range. For $75.00 more, I can get a new replacement shifter with free shipping, so what would make me buy the used thing you have? Sorry, reality generally wins, and if you want to sell you shifter, lower the price accordingly.
what would make people buy it is that you dont have to wait the 4 plus weeks to get it from MGW "new" list it on a larger mustang forum and it will sell

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
yknot said:
oh and let me know when you sell parts cause I will buy them from you no problem at 50-60% off new

Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a MGW. I will be selling mine soon along with the one piece 4" drive shaft I bought from Kendall at CoolTech. This will be ready to go in just under two weeks, drop me a PM if you are interested and can wait until it's out..

*** Rick I will post up correctly in the forum with the price when it is out of the car and ready to go.

sold

I follow the 50, 60 and 70 percent rule. 50 no question buy it, 60 consider buying and most likely do, 70 nice, but not worth the risk most of the time. Burned too many times. I do consider buyer feedback as listed on this site.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel