The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mis-shifts in the Boss while racing

Causing damage from over-revving or not, is it typically:

• 5-2 shift

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • 4-1 shift

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure if this is appropriate for a poll, but I figured the information would be easier to collect and you can ramble on about your experience or someone else's if you want. I am doing this to collect information for a "hack" feasibility. Vote twice if you have seen both, three times if you have seen both but one more often than the other. I figure this way will keep the results to just two bar graphs.

Thanks guys!

I've had two mis-shifts on this car, one on the street, one at the track. Both mis-shifts were while upshift 3-4 and it went 3-2 instead.
I caught the street mis-shift before engaging the clutch, but the one at the track caused me a spin. So, I bought the MGW shifter, which helped a good bit, but after the BF bracket, I got my confidence back with the shifter.

Don't know if this is applicable to your situation or not but I just saw it in this month's issue of Super Ford.

https://www.blowfishracing.com/drivetrain/99-2011-2014-mustang-v6gtboss-shifter-support-bracket.html

WinterSucks said:
I am only asking since I was curious if my idea (hack) was worth putting work into. IE, if I build it, will they come?

Gated shifter a la Ferrari and Lambo!? I have had Steve from Blowfish in the car doing a 5-2 downshift, made for an interesting experience.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Never had either of these issues. I would suggest a lighter hand w/ the shifter itself. I couple times I have borked the 2-3 and caught 5th instead, but that is not a serious concern.

I am looking forward to "blowfishing" the car next year.

Brandon302 said:
Gated shifter a la Ferrari and Lambo!? I have had Steve from Blowfish in the car doing a 5-2 downshift, made for an interesting experience.

That would be the simplest solution but not what I was thinking about. Seems like that would be a great solution for the guys racing a stripped out car but I think most would hate the look.

WinterSucks said:
That would be the simplest solution but not what I was thinking about. Seems like that would be a great solution for the guys racing a stripped out car but I think most would hate the look.

Are you able to hint at it, I wonder too if the spring that aligns the shifter in the middle is a little week and so it can allow the misalignment sometimes if you ham fist it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Never had any mis-shifts but getting the car into 5th at track speeds still isn't smooth like I want it to be. I have the blowfish bracket and every other gear is perfect but 5th is just slow and deliberate. I'm not a fast shifter anyway, never power shift but it I lose a lot of speed trying to shift to 5th. I think it may just be an issue with the stock clutch. We all know Ford went cheap on the clutch and it can't handle the revs these cars are capable of…even when I don't usually shift about 7k.

Adam

Yea, what I am thinking of designing won't fix those issues, unfortunately. I am thinking of a device that could take advantage of the skip-shift solenoid that is already there to avoid accidentally over-revving by dumping it into second gear. That is why I am wondering if 2nd gear is a problem since it seems to me that pulling backwards on the shifter is easier to make a mistake with than with pushing forward.

UPDATE:
I emailed Shaun at AED. His first response looks promising but there is at least one more parameter that needs to be looked into to make it work right. Keep your fingers crossed! If Shaun can do this with a tune it's free insurance for at least a mis-shift into 2nd. And I will be buying a tune right away! Unless it's sub-optimal get the data logs when it is only 50-60 degrees out? Not sure if that makes a difference.

WinterSucks said:
Yea, what I am thinking of designing won't fix those issues, unfortunately. I am thinking of a device that could take advantage of the skip-shift solenoid that is already there to avoid accidentally over-revving by dumping it into second gear. That is why I am wondering if 2nd gear is a problem since it seems to me that pulling backwards on the shifter is easier to make a mistake with than with pushing forward.

My one missed shift on the track was a 5-2. Scared the crap out of me, but luckily I didn't lock up the rears, or harm anything. I still have the stock shifter, but MGW is in the future, for sure.

Does the 2013 have the skip shift solenoid? It isn't activated, but maybe it is actually in there?

As far as I know, the 2013 does not have the feature. Although they might still have the parts internal to the MT-82. At least until they used up that 2011-2012 batch of MT-82s. I am sure as soon as Ford told Getrag they did not want it anymore they designed out the $0.30 worth of internal parts. But I would not be surprised if some early 2013 transmissions still had the solenoid.

So while talking with Shaun, it sounds like he is willing to make the attempt for anyone wanting it. He just needs a guinea pig. I do plan on getting a tune but the season for driving in MA looks like it is coming to a quick end already. Sigh. I would rather get a tune from him when I can run the car and datalog in 70 degree weather minimum.

TMO Supporting Vendors