The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mobil 1 0W-40 Availability/Shortage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Does anyone have the insider scoop on Mobil 1 0W-40? Is it being phased out??

I used to get this at Walmart cause it was $25 for a 5 quart. The past 6 months, the Walmarts near me seemed to never have their shelves stocked.
I check Amazon periodically and they have it but it's some ridiculous price for some reason.
Now I go to Autozone which is about $10 more per 5 quart but the last few visits, they have zero stock of 0W40. The last visit, their oil shelves looked recently stocked; every brand and every oil type had 10+ cases except Mobil 1 0W40.
Now my wife tells me Costco has oil on sale for cyber Monday....Mobil 1 0W40 is out of stock.
.....Summit Racing shows Mobil 1 0W40 out of stock
.....Napa shows Mobil 1 0W40 out of stock

What is happening?? Is Mobil 1 not going to sell 0W40 anymore? What are other people using that isn't crazy expensive and trustworthy?
@flyhalf I know you are or were using Mobil 1 0W40....are you having trouble finding it as well or have you moved onto something else?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Mobil is shipping on allocation to all customers because of shortages of the additives. Who has it when is really unpredictable, and changes daily.

Have you tried the 0W40 Supercar instead of the European spec? The Supercar seems to be more readily available.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Mobil is shipping on allocation to all customers because of shortages of the additives. Who has it when is really unpredictable, and changes daily.

Have you tried the 0W40 Supercar instead of the European spec? The Supercar seems to be more readily available.
I haven't tried the Supercar version. The few places I've seen it, it was more expensive but I'll check that one out too

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, though it is getting hard to find now too. It meets Ford's standard.
I called Ford's tech line and the guy there said if you're using full synthetic that meets Ford's standard then 5W-20 is fine, even for track day use. Just change it after every event. I told him I had the FP power pack 2 tune and redline is 7250 with that, he said it was still fine. I went 5W30 vs 5W20 for my own comfort factor.
We're talking bone stock motor here though, with any built motor you should be using what your engine builder recommends.
Oil threads. Gotta love 'em. Or not.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Pennzoil.ultra platinum is #2 best oil after amsoil according to PROJECTFARM TESTS (check on youtube)
If they had 0w40 i would take that
5w30 is great for daily..not enough for beating the car at the track IMO
Depends on how you drive it. I'm not racing, these days I only do lapping days. If you're turning big revs like the 8250 guys do then yes, I agree you'd need something more, like full on racing oil like Millers or Driven or similar. But, I've never taken it beyond 7250, that's the redline with the Ford Racing power pack 2 tune. This past year I started shifting at 6000 to 6250. My lap times went from 1.33s - 1.34s to 1.35s - 1.36s. And oddly enough it is just as much fun as before when I was beating on the car!

I run in open group with the race cars, we are solid mid pack runners. My oil temp never gets anywhere near the yellow zone let alone red. My trans temp is way down, the gauge starts at 140 and it's a needle width or two above that, it never gets to 150F now. I've got 2 full seasons (18 track days, 108 twenty minute sessions) out of 6 Nankang AR1's and they've got another couple of days left in them. That's because I'm not trying to wring every last bit of bite out of them. Fuel consumption is down by at least 1/4 to 1/3. Way easier on the car, and my wallet.

And I still get just as many cheques and trophies as I did before when I was beating the crap out of the thing. ;);) :D :D

Wringing those last few revs out of the motor isn't worth it if you're just lapping. That last second or two is always the most expensive one. For me, it's about the corners and the number on the G meter. So this works for me. Racing is a whole different ball game. As always, YMMV.

Depends on how you drive it. I'm not racing, these days I only do lapping days. If you're turning big revs like the 8250 guys do then yes, I agree you'd need something more, like full on racing oil like Millers or Driven or similar. But, I've never taken it beyond 7250, that's the redline with the Ford Racing power pack 2 tune. This past year I started shifting at 6000 to 6250. My lap times went from 1.33s - 1.34s to 1.35s - 1.36s. And oddly enough it is just as much fun as before when I was beating on the car!

I run in open group with the race cars, we are solid mid pack runners. My oil temp never gets anywhere near the yellow zone let alone red. My trans temp is way down, the gauge starts at 140 and it's a needle width or two above that, it never gets to 150F now. I've got 2 full seasons (18 track days, 108 twenty minute sessions) out of 6 Nankang AR1's and they've got another couple of days left in them. That's because I'm not trying to wring every last bit of bite out of them. Fuel consumption is down by at least 1/4 to 1/3. Way easier on the car, and my wallet.

And I still get just as many cheques and trophies as I did before when I was beating the crap out of the thing. ;);) :D :D

Wringing those last few revs out of the motor isn't worth it if you're just lapping. That last second or two is always the most expensive one. For me, it's about the corners and the number on the G meter. So this works for me. Racing is a whole different ball game. As always, YMMV.
I am liking everything you are doing. It all just makes sense to preserve cash and the motor.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I am liking everything you are doing. It all just makes sense to preserve cash and the motor.
Very similar to my goals. I try to beat my last times while having a blast. I seldom come near the rev limiter.

Very similar to my goals. I try to beat my last times while having a blast. I seldom come near the rev limiter.
The only time I was hitting redline was with the auto blip. Adjusted that and now down shifting later - fixed that craziness. Trying to keep rpms no higher than 6500. That's a goal a couple hundred over at times. So be it. Man it's hard - gets there faster than anything I have ever driven. No reason to push a a motor with 85k miles. Fortunately the first 80k were supposedly softer miles. Definitely no previous track time. The guy that dyno'd my car had me nervous. 7300 with the finally pulls. He worked up to that though to optimize the tune at higher rpms to make sure it was not leaning out. No more dyno for me...

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Wow. you must have your tire rotations down perfect. Didn't think they lasted that long
I don't know about perfect, but it's pretty good. I think the key is having at least 6 tires to rotate, having the air pressures exactly right, shed loads of negative camber and above all, never slide the tires! If you keep them hooked up the wear is greatly minimized, you just have to work to find that sweet spot and not go over it. I think a tire is fastest at 101 or 102% of grip, but that also increases wear exponentially, 98-99% of maximum is probably the place where I try to be. The AR1's are not a super soft compound tire so that helps as well. They are also not overly sensitive to heat cycles, at least in my experience with 20 minute sessions. They do slow down over time, but they don't fall off the cliff either.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
$30 bucks US where I am.
So right now $30US bucks converts to $41 Canadian. Looks like Waldomart might be engaging in a little price gouging, er, a lot of price gouging, for us Canucks.

Or more likely it prolly is standard issue Canadian government price gouging with tariffs at the border. The way these clowns we have in power at the moment are spending this wouldn't surprise me.

TMO Supporting Vendors