The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 MXKON Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome and solid mods, we just need to get you off those tiny air filled tubes for even more speed at the track. Those crazy S197s will take USDA prime meats up in 315/30/19 sizes without any butchering. You have plenty of cool stuff done , so that is your next weapon. Glad you found us and feel free to ask any questions or offer advice, we are all sick Trackrats and any new info or changes to old mods is appreciated.

Welcome and solid mods, we just need to get you off those tiny air filled tubes for even more speed at the track. Those crazy S197s will take USDA prime meats up in 315/30/19 sizes without any butchering. You have plenty of cool stuff done , so that is your next weapon. Glad you found us and feel free to ask any questions or offer advice, we are all sick Trackrats and any new info or changes to old mods is appreciated.
Thanks Bill,
I have loved using this site for my research over the years.
I am looking to add some fixed back seats & harnesses to match the roll bar and probably move to some Apex 18"x10" wheels with some more modest 275 (100-200TW) tires, just to keep consumables at a half way reasonable level.
I need to keep the consumables down - - # of Events/Year > Low Lap Time#'s for my driver mod right now.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The only advice I would add would be to go with 18x11s as that will keep your prices down and you can go with a wider tires even if not a 315. Blacksheep 1 will jump in here but 275s are simply undersized for this car , it's weight and getting solid track times. If you get pretty fast you will go through 275s quite quickly and even a 295 on 11s will help a lot.

The only advice I would add would be to go with 18x11s as that will keep your prices down and you can go with a wider tires even if not a 315. Blacksheep 1 will jump in here but 275s are simply undersized for this car , it's weight and getting solid track times. If you get pretty fast you will go through 275s quite quickly and even a 295 on 11s will help a lot.
I am already looking at options to replace my KW - V1 coilovers as they are great on the street but a bit too soft for the track.
My main concern is that I dont think I can fit an 11" wheel in the front without the Cortex offset option &/or spacers.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You will get a bunch of folks jump in and go you various ideas on how to get them to fit, but frankly it is not a difficult situation and if you are changing your shocks you can even chat with Cortex on their recommendations for those to really optimize the front set-up. Heck DaveW ( spsperformance.com ) owner is running 18x12s on his S197. You are at the right place for questions on mods and you have various options ----- as you will soon find out with numerous folks and their suggestions.

I ran an MCS dual adjustable with remote and they worked great with 18x11 Apex wheels and a 25mm spacer.

TMO Supporting Vendors