The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 My budget track 5.0 GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Been going back and forth with this since I bought the car. Hate it or love it- the stripes are gone! Also installed a Boss 302s grille to go along with the 302s radiator. By no means trying to steal the street cred of a real Boss I just love the look and added air flow can only be a plus!

D7E9BFDF-8927-49A5-A81A-250CC2AF1944.jpeg

F9F3E20E-B5BE-47C3-A220-1D7D0DA3126D.jpeg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
I have always liked the Boss 302s grill and the car look good without the stripes. Can you see any difference in the paint where the stripes were?
No difference in the paint at all but I definitely have to run a clay bar over where they were to get some remaining residue off.

The biggest issue is my hood- I definitely need a new one. The whole car is clean without a spec of rust but the hood is bubbling on the edges on top and underneath all along the side edges too. When I took the stripes off it took some of the bubbling flakes off with it. apparently this is a problem with a lot of ford vehicles from the factory as they let the bare metal sit too long uncoated

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
No difference in the paint at all but I definitely have to run a clay bar over where they were to get some remaining residue off.

The biggest issue is my hood- I definitely need a new one. The whole car is clean without a spec of rust but the hood is bubbling on the edges on top and underneath all along the side edges too. When I took the stripes off it took some of the bubbling flakes off with it. apparently this is a problem with a lot of ford vehicles from the factory as they let the bare metal sit too long uncoated
Thats good. I have seen some where the painted over time and you could see the difference once they were removed.

The aluminum hoods had some paint issues. Mine hasn't been too bad. I haven't seen any bubbles, but I do have bunch of little silver flecks where the paint has chipped over the years. I thought about buying a Tiger hood for track use to save my factory one but it was too far gone, so I cut it for louvres to improve cooling. I can always buy another stock hood later if plans for the car change.

TMO Supporting Vendors