The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 My budget track 5.0 GT Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland

Thought you knew about it! I will make an event thread for next year when registration opens and tag everyone there. Really fun time and good group of people. I always have fun and talk with people at track days, but the group at Mohawk genuinely become good friends and hang out the whole three days of the event. Couple guys didn't even run their cars this year, just came to hang out and drink beers after the track went cold for the day. A lot of knowledge in the group as well- everyone is ready to help at a moments notice if anything comes up with one of the cars.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
One little update- this is getting installed before my NASA event at Autobahn in September.

633FFFF9-5209-4687-8149-C08711383839.jpeg

Rear end from a Mustang FR500S with a brand new Torsen T2R and 3:73 gears. Will be doing the GT500 rear brake conversion while swapping the axles as well. Notice the YRC Yellow shipping label. Bought this right before they went bankrupt and it was quite the mission rescuing this from the freight terminal with a uhaul trailer.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Thought you knew about it! I will make an event thread for next year when registration opens and tag everyone there. Really fun time and good group of people. I always have fun and talk with people at track days, but the group at Mohawk genuinely become good friends and hang out the whole three days of the event. Couple guys didn't even run their cars this year, just came to hang out and drink beers after the track went cold for the day. A lot of knowledge in the group as well- everyone is ready to help at a moments notice if anything comes up with one of the cars.
Gingerman with Mohawk was on the event calendar but I posted it late. One of us needs to remember to post it earlier next year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
New rear end with Torsen T2R and 3.73 gears is installed. Shelby GT500 rear brake conversion was also done with OEM Ford GT500 brake brackets installed while axles were out of the car. Running GT500 OEM rear rotors with G-LOC R12's. Drove the car a ton around town and expressway yesterday to get used to the gearing. Definitely more whine coming out of the rear end. I am running Redline 75W140NS (no additive for Torsen). The gearing is awesome, totally changed the way the car drives. Much quicker acceleration, and feels like I'm always in the optimal powerband now. I accidentally chirped the tires in first and second a couple times. On highway I can cruise at 80mph at around 2300rpm which is fine. The previous 3.31 ratio I had would let me cruise at 90mph at around 2200 rpm.

I think the gear change will benefit me significantly on track, but I will definitely be shifting more. Planning on separating the brake and clutch reservoirs over winter so the added shifting doesn't result in an increase in brake fluid temp.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Gingerman lap from Mohawk.
Get thee to the apex. A lot of the corners, you're only using half the track. Try starting your turn-in a little earlier with less steering angle, so you travel from the outside edge of the track to the inside edge at apex, and back to the outside edge. Running the "high groove" can work on banked tracks or in the rain on a road course, but can put you in the marbles at apex in the dry.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
New rear end with Torsen T2R and 3.73 gears is installed. Shelby GT500 rear brake conversion was also done with OEM Ford GT500 brake brackets installed while axles were out of the car. Running GT500 OEM rear rotors with G-LOC R12's. Drove the car a ton around town and expressway yesterday to get used to the gearing. Definitely more whine coming out of the rear end. I am running Redline 75W140NS (no additive for Torsen). The gearing is awesome, totally changed the way the car drives. Much quicker acceleration, and feels like I'm always in the optimal powerband now. I accidentally chirped the tires in first and second a couple times. On highway I can cruise at 80mph at around 2300rpm which is fine. The previous 3.31 ratio I had would let me cruise at 90mph at around 2200 rpm.

I think the gear change will benefit me significantly on track, but I will definitely be shifting more. Planning on separating the brake and clutch reservoirs over winter so the added shifting doesn't result in an increase in brake fluid temp.
Going to the 3.73 gears, you will like. Should be keeping you in the power band in a more consistent flow.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Attended the NASA Great Lakes event at Autobahn Country Club this past weekend with the HPDE 1 group. Phenomenal event, learned a ton and got more out of that weekend than I have all my previous track days combined. I am definitely attending more NASA events next season and hope I can progress through their curriculum through the next few years. Ran with traction control fully off the whole weekend and did really well. My main focus was learning to release the brake as smooth as possible rather than just letting off right away and upsetting the car.

Going back to Autobahn in less than a week for a track day with LAPS, and then ending the season with Road America on October 14th (will have an instructor at that event as well).

TMO Supporting Vendors