The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My first track day in my S550 at Atlanta Motorsports Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was my first track day (JZilla HPDE) with my 2016 GT, my first track day in a RWD car, and my first track day in 4-5 years since I had my 2006 Subaru Legacy Spec B. I will be going back for another JZilla HPDE here March 12th trying out my RAYS Gram Light 57Xtreme 10.5" square setup with 285/35-19" on what I'll humble call my "training shoes": Continental DW tires. I'd much prefer having RE-11s, but for a novice like me... I really couldn't justify the cost of those or MPSS's to learn fundamentals on. I got the Conti's for $650 installed and after these I'll do something better.

Anyway, you'll see I need heal-toe help badly, sometimes lost my line here and there, took the wrong line sometimes but first time on this track and, like I said, it's been a long time. One of these was with the intermediate group which I got advanced to per my instructor's recommendation, which was flattering. But I'm doing novice again in March to work on what I need to work on... so on, so forth. I HOPE the Conti DWs don't suck royally... I have a feeling they will.

I was also having ridiculous lack of throttle response sometimes coming out of hard right turns. Either that was a traction control thing (even though it was all off, but didn't pull the fuse) or something with the stock tune or maybe a fuel delivery thing, I don't know. Felt like turbo lag. The last part of the video, last laps, you can see me starting to break up a lot. After that session I looked at my PZero tires... they were chunked to hell (3-4K miles prior to this HPDE). I think I was just tired, then, too. Trying to keep pace with more advanced people and wasn't ready.

https://youtu.be/_MjtCfLmx4I

Sorry, I didn't have any OBDII data hookup at this time.

Looks like a nice day and you have a sharp looking Mustang.

This will fix your heel/toe. ;D

http://www.auto-blip.com

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Frankly , for your first day on track in a RWD car I think you did extremely well. Glad you had a good time and you will likely rock and roll even better when you move up to some newer rubber . Heck with 10.5 rims go with a set of 305s , should be no sweat!?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel