The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monaca Pa
This won't help:
I have been waiting since September 19 for my Aluminator short block. The trucker strike had nothing to do with the delay then.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I bought the GT500 pan, pump and pick-up.........that should fall under "done right" I would think? Was also planning to add an Accusump. What about a crank scraper??
Yes, from crank-scraper.com and a good pump and oil cooler with -12 lines.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You’ll also need their modified windage tray. These are key items to engine survival. I outline all the mods, parts and my reasoning in my build thread. If you copy what I did you should get similar results. I went through great pains to insure smooth unrestricted oil flow outside the motor and careful oil control inside the motor.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Gen 3 short block is only $2,150 from Tasca. Do all Gen 3 have 12:1 compression??
Yes, make sure it is a mustang shortblock and not an F150

I have been waiting since September 19 for my Aluminator short block. The trucker strike had nothing to do with the delay then.
Almost all, if not all, connecting rods in this price range are forged in China, then finished in the USA. All those ships parked offshore and the backlog of containers going back are causing the delays.

@Fabman it looks like the crank scraper is bolted to the windage tray? How does that work since the mounting holes for the windage tray have a bit of wiggle room? Seems the scraper clearance needs to be fairly close, how do you know where the scraper ended up relative to the rotating assembly if the windage tray could be fore/aft left/right a bit depending on how it all bolted up? Maybe only to be installed on an engine out of a car when you can control the windage tray location precisely?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Fabman it looks like the crank scraper is bolted to the windage tray? How does that work since the mounting holes for the windage tray have a bit of wiggle room? Seems the scraper clearance needs to be fairly close, how do you know where the scraper ended up relative to the rotating assembly if the windage tray could be fore/aft left/right a bit depending on how it all bolted up? Maybe only to be installed on an engine out of a car when you can control the windage tray location precisely?
The scraper does not bolt to the windage tray, it bolts to the bottom of the block, but I'm not sure exactly which holes as that was done by AED. I used the Teflon scraper where you custom fit the scraper to your exact engine so the clearance is close to zero for maximum windage reduction.

Monaca Pa
My Manley rods arrived today new crank coming Monday and Mahle piston are being shipped out Monday. My new block has been shipped out from Summit racing in Texas. It’s amazing the deal you get buying a Aluminator short block from from Ford Performance , but I can’t wait any longer.

What about buying the OEM Gen 3 short block then replacing the stock rods with forged pieces then putting everything back together? I have a shop that can do it. Even if it adds $1500 to the cost it's still less than the Aluminator by a grand and I have the good rods.

Monaca Pa
$769 on Amazon with free shipping and delivery next week.
That IF they have them in stock. I spent a whole day on my computer and phone trying to verify they had parts in stock on shelf. Most of the great price listing did not have them and would get from mfg. I bought what was Guaranteed would arrive at my house with in a week. My problem now is getting ARP main studs and side bolts. Company says in stock, I order and pay them and get a email saying they are out of stock.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What Hp are you going for...?? I think with a gen3 with a N/A setup is just fine. Maybe if you are going to boosted?? I built three fully forged engines and they all went pop..... Am hoping the oil problems are sorted with this build.

AED has run 1200 rwhp with stock rods and pistons.

Monaca Pa
What Hp are you going for...?? I think with a gen3 with a N/A setup is just fine. Maybe if you are going to boosted?? I built three fully forged engines and they all went pop..... Am hoping the oil problems are sorted with this build.

AED has run 1200 rwhp with stock rods and pistons.
I’m a little gun shy for good reasonsA5C5D281-23DE-466A-A06B-3316DA4787FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel