The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My motor blew up......now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The reason I mentioned the valve springs is if you are using the old heads. Now is the time to replace the springs since it's all apart.
These engines are pretty remarkable as long as you maintain them, even the timing chains are not much of an issue, but I have seen a few broken valve springs and that can be catastrophic.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I did take your advice and order the crank scraper. Still waiting on that. The owner's wife answered the phone when I called and then yells out to husband who's in the garage working. Pretty funny. Talk about a "mom and pop" business lol.
Don’t forget their windage tray, they work together.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What would you recommend?
Gen 2 heads use the same spring as the boss 302 which are adequate for cams with stock or near stock lift. The L&M “intake only” cams that I and many others here on TMO (and beyond) run have stock lift and increased duration. I used these stock springs in competition at 8000+ rpm all year without issue. I also change them between seasons as a safety precaution. Valve springs are cheaper than motors.

The reason I mentioned the valve springs is if you are using the old heads. Now is the time to replace the springs since it's all apart.
These engines are pretty remarkable as long as you maintain them, even the timing chains are not much of an issue, but I have seen a few broken valve springs and that can be catastrophic.
I bought a set of the 302R springs but then decided I wanted a bit more rate so I went with Livernois. They are between the 302R and PAC springs. PAC springs were really pricey. Even went with new followers and GT350 rollers

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I bought a set of the 302R springs but then decided I wanted a bit more rate so I went with Livernois. They are between the 302R and PAC springs. PAC springs were really pricey. Even went with new followers and GT350 rollers
The strategy for going with minimal spring pressure and smaller cam profiles is that it doesn’t put excess stress on the valve train and VCT. The higher the stresses the lower the reliability. The ideal spring pressure is just enough to control the valve at the desired RPM . No more, no less. I do not know what the psi differences are of the various springs are but the decision was to stay with the boss 302 springs that worked so well last year. Let’s hope they work just as well in 2022. Stay tuned.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
From the images I've seen of the included part number, the GT500 windage tray is the early coyote part.
Yeah I would really suggest getting the proper windage tray that goes with the scraper.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The other side has oil catchers that funnel the oil down through the screen so it can’t splash back up on the crank.

4C6D9AE5-0DFA-42E5-9665-769BE2FB0D4B.jpeg52FEA6C5-A19D-406F-8BB1-FB46AB129DFD.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here is the flip side:

IMG_4093.jpgIMG_4094.jpgIMG_4095.jpgIMG_4109.jpg
Oil control is the key to making these motors live.

Last edited:
I've been checking out some scraper pics that JeffV8 sent me. I also was just going to use the GT500 pan but after seeing all the modifications that Kevin makes I am now wondering if I should have sucked it up and invested in that as well. It took a month to get my scraper but it may be worth it in the long run.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I've been checking out some scraper pics that JeffV8 sent me. I also was just going to use the GT500 pan but after seeing all the modifications that Kevin makes I am now wondering if I should have sucked it up and invested in that as well. It took a month to get my scraper but it may be worth it in the long run.
Oil is the life blood of an engine...anything you can do to improve oil control is worth whatever it costs.
Whats a blown up motor cost?
Pans, pumps, pans etc. are cheap insurance in my book.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I apologize for my ignorance up front but I'm not getting the concept.

I always thought that getting the oil off the crank would help reduce horsepower loss. But how does it help reduce the chance of a blown engine?

Can the amount of oil that would otherwise remain up in the crank exceed 8 fluid ounces? Even a pint? With a larger capacity & baffled oil pan, how does that make a difference?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel