The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Clutch Installed, Now Won’t Go Easily Into Gear At Start-Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I had the Exedy clutch installed after blowing mine up last month. I‘m well into the break-in period, but the car won’t go right into reverse when I start it in the morning. I have to push in the clutch 1 or 2 times and go into 1st or 2nd gear beforehand. Once I’ve done this, the shifter goes where I want it to normally. Once the car is warmed up, it will still happen after shutting the car off and parking it, but less frequently. While moving, at no time has there been any issue with extra resistance or refusing to switch gears - On the fly it seems just fine, shifts smoothly every time. But I've yet to shift at over 3000 rpm, if that matters. The brakes feel great.

The guy who did the install thinks most likely there is a little air in the system and a bleed should take care of it. Interested in any tales on that and, more urgently, can I Autocross the car and run it hard? I have no time to deal with it before the event Sunday.

Thanks, as always, from the forum ignoramus!

If it goes into gear smoothly with the engine off and takes a little effort with it on it probably has some air in it still. Vacuum bleeding should help.
Thanks. So why, once it goes into gear after another try or two, does it perform without issue? I don’t understand how when moving it then shifts gears nicely and smoothly.

And can anyone tell me if it’s ok to race the car with this? I’m assuming no, to be conservative, until I understand what’s up.

I don't see an aftermarket shifter in your build thread. The OEMs are not durable in any way. Maybe it got tweeted with the clutch install. Before I installed the MGW I could hardly ever get in 1st gear without cycling down from 3rd. In higher rpms everything was "kinda" ok - way too much play. The MGW was the best money I spent on upgrades.

If there's air in the lines there are good tips for bleeding in this thread.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
If it crunches going into reverse the clutch is dragging. Either still has air in the system or the release bearing is not setup correctly. The other test would be start car, put in any other gear then slide it into reverse, grind or no grind? Now pop it into neutral, release clutch, now disengage clutch again and try reverse again, does it grind again? All the forward gears have syncro's and they will stop a lightly dragging clutch, reverse will grind if the clutch is dragging. One other test, put rear axle on jack stands, run in any gear, have someone watch rear tire. disengage clutch, keep it in gear, stop tires with brakes, let off brakes, wheels start turning again? You have a dragging clutch. A clutch that doesn't fully release will destroy the syncro's in your forward gears.

I don't see an aftermarket shifter in your build thread. The OEMs are not durable in any way. Maybe it got tweeted with the clutch install. Before I installed the MGW I could hardly ever get in 1st gear without cycling down from 3rd. In higher rpms everything was "kinda" ok - way too much play. The MGW was the best money I spent on upgrades.

If there's air in the lines there are good tips for bleeding in this thread.
Correct. Stock shifter. Probably should’ve done it when the clutch was replaced but $$$ and timing was terrible. And thanks for the link to bleeding procedure!

If it crunches going into reverse the clutch is dragging. Either still has air in the system or the release bearing is not setup correctly. The other test would be start car, put in any other gear then slide it into reverse, grind or no grind? Now pop it into neutral, release clutch, now disengage clutch again and try reverse again, does it grind again? All the forward gears have syncro's and they will stop a lightly dragging clutch, reverse will grind if the clutch is dragging. One other test, put rear axle on jack stands, run in any gear, have someone watch rear tire. disengage clutch, keep it in gear, stop tires with brakes, let off brakes, wheels start turning again? You have a dragging clutch. A clutch that doesn't fully release will destroy the syncro's in your forward gears.
Thank you. I’ve done the first two, but not once has there been any crunch. It just won’t go into reverse. Stressing here that I‘m not pushing much harder than normal or trying to force it in. Maybe it would crunch if I did? If it doesn’t go easily, I lift off the clutch, depress again, and put it into first or 2nd gear (this works on first or second try) then it will go into reverse nice and easy.

To your point about the synchros, I wish I had taken this issue more seriously before putting hundreds of street miles on it!

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Thank you. I’ve done the first two, but not once has there been any crunch. It just won’t go into reverse. Stressing here that I‘m not pushing much harder than normal or trying to force it in. Maybe it would crunch if I did? If it doesn’t go easily, I lift off the clutch, depress again, and put it into first or 2nd gear (this works on first or second try) then it will go into reverse nice and easy.

To your point about the synchros, I wish I had taken this issue more seriously before putting hundreds of street miles on it!
The syncro's are sort of like a clutch, the purpose of the syncro is to match the transmissions input speed to the output speed by grabbing its mating surface on the gear just before the syncro engages the gear. This keeps the gears from grinding. That's why you don't get a grind engaging forward gears but reverse does. Engaging a forward gear before engaging reverse can help if you have a dragging clutch but the syncro is getting worked harder than normal.
Honda used an automated manual trans in late 80's vintage Civic's. The trans had a torque convertor, no clutch. Every time when you back the car out of the garage in the morning it would crunch going into reverse. Throw it in drive first then select reverse, no crunch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Did you replace your pilot bearing?

I have made a few threads on here and FB about a similar issue. With the engine running whether its in the morning when i first get in, or at a stop light, I cannot shift into 1st. I would have to turn the car off then shift into 1st then turn the car back on. I replaced all the hydraulic stuff and took it back to the dealer multiple times. I contacted Ford Performance and they suggested it was the pilot bearing. Another person on FB had the same issue and fixed it by replacing the pilot bearing. I've been dealing with it since Feb 2021 (too stubborn to pay to get it done). Wish i thought about it when the dealer replaced the clutch for me.

Did you replace your pilot bearing?

I have made a few threads on here and FB about a similar issue. With the engine running whether its in the morning when i first get in, or at a stop light, I cannot shift into 1st. I would have to turn the car off then shift into 1st then turn the car back on. I replaced all the hydraulic stuff and took it back to the dealer multiple times. I contacted Ford Performance and they suggested it was the pilot bearing. Another person on FB had the same issue and fixed it by replacing the pilot bearing. I've been dealing with it since Feb 2021 (too stubborn to pay to get it done). Wish i thought about it when the dealer replaced the clutch for me.
Thanks. No, I believe only the release bearing was included with the kit. Will make sure the tech is aware of your story.

TMO Supporting Vendors