The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Emergency Clutch Upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stock clutch is toast on my 2017 base model GT. I’m probably going to need something more robust, as I’m at 471 rwhp. Need to get something ordered asap, and I’m clueless. I assume single disc is more reliable? What to get? Desperate…thanks in advance!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Exedy Hyper Single is the go to and readily available. I love mine on track. As for street driving…not so much but doable.
Are you in Nova? If so, I live near BWI airport. Feel free to drive my car and see what it’s like.
+1 on the hyper single.

Apologies for posting and vanishing! Thanks fellas. It’s been just almost continuous sh**storm since I posted, including my first Covid experience.

I did get the Exedy. What I forgot about was the break-in period. Sheesh. So I wasn’t going to have the car ready in time regardless. And about that break-in period, are 500 easy driving city miles really necessary? Seems like it should be good to go after a couple hundred gear changes. LOL.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Glad to see you are past the clutch and Covid issues. Been through both. I enjoyed the clutch swap laying on my back in winter over the Covid. I caught it early. The illness was mild, the not knowing was the worst part.
What is your opinion of the clutch now you have had a chance to break it in?

Last edited:
Glad to see you are past the clutch and Covid issues. Been through both. I enjoyed the clutch swap laying on my back in winter over the Covid. I caught it early. The illness was mild, the not knowing was the worst part.
What is your opinion of the clutch now you have had a chance to break it in?
Thank you! I’ve still got 350 break-in miles to go, and I’m wondering if it’s necessary.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Thank you! I’ve still got 350 break-in miles to go, and I’m wondering if it’s necessary.
Well, it'd be a real shame if you didn't finish it and then the first track day your clutch takes a dump. I had the same thoughts when I was breaking my clutch in, but I stuck to it and so far the clutch is performing flawlessly. Racing clutches are different animals than the stock pieces, absolutely for certain.

TMO Supporting Vendors