The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New member introduction and a question about my new car - 2 days old

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Middleboro, MA
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. New member here, new 1st time Mustang Owner also. Been going to track days, 21 days since summer 2020 in a 2015 C7 Corvette Z51. Finally decided after many upgrades, it was time for a new track car. The 2022 Mach 1 with the Mach 1 Handling package and the Recaro seats was an easy choice.

So onto my question: My son came home to take photos of the new car, I opened the hood and noticed "overspray" on the Hood latch bolted to the front of the front hood ! Should I be concerned, seems really odd to me. Photos attached, any feedback would be appreciated as I just picked up the car 2 days ago, today is Thanksgiving, if I have an issue that I need to file a complaint about I want to do it immediately. The purchase process wasn't exactly smooth and user friendly if you know what I mean.

Chris

PXL_20221124_205609354.jpg

PXL_20221124_205621241.jpg

PXL_20221124_205615992.jpg

There are some massively outstanding dealers out there, and then there are others.
I was actually in a service supervisor's office and on the phone with Ford corporate about an issue, and I informed them I couldn't get the supervisor off his dead ***.
The problem was solved shortly thereafter.

I would go look at a couple of other cars on the lot to make sure this isn't somehow common ( I don't think it is), and ask for an explanation before unleashing the gods of war.

Screenshot_20221124-223139_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would take the car into the Dealer , demand nicely that it is listed on your Service Record and ask them if the car came in with rail damage or if they had done any work on the car themselves. Unfortunately , after over 30+ years in the business I have seen overspray like this on many makes of vehicles. It could have had an incompletely covered painted area at the factory and this was the quick fix. it could have been done at the Dealership, though I would imagine it was done at the Plant. Ask the Service Mgr. to pull up your car's service and pre-delivery listing and see if any paint issues pop up. They would likely list as they would want to get paid. It probably is from the Plant and you might just ask the Dealer to take pictures , supply you with new latches and bolts as you are upset with the look of the car. Good luck, but probably not a major issue or problem.

Enjoy your Mach 1, keep the RPMs under 4K for the first 1000 miles , and my recommendation ( from old Ford Engineer friends ) is no full throttle till later and change the oil the first time between 500 -1000 miles.

Go to the Mach 1 registry section and list your car. You will be #2 as I just found it myself, and it would be cool to get more of our special Trackhorses listed on the Forum!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Middleboro, MA
Hey guys thanks very much for the feedback and comments and recommendations. So I called the nearest Ford Dealer early this AM. Service manager was very courteous, I told her I had photos I could email in if that would get me some answers sooner. She took the photos to her lead tech, who indicated this was Correct, and what I was actually seeing was a "chip proof" more durable coating in Black that they shoot over the base chassis/body color to prevent the hood lock mechanism from chipping off the car's color paint. Kind of makes sense, I think... I also texted same photos to my sales rep at the dealer I purchased from. His reply was that they pulled what he called the Oasis report and it showed no damage reports from the factory, so it was just "overspray" from the factory.. Not much of reply, but I have come to expect less than satisfactory answers from the selling dealer, it's been like that since I bought it on Tuesday. Anyway, I'll just keep going out for my daily drives, and follow Bill Pemberton's break in advice. Good thing my birthday starts with a 6, so I almost have the discipline to keep the RPM's down. It's not easy, the Coyote is a wicked nice motor !!!! These are some photos my son took Thanksgiving Day.....

A7404038.jpg

A7404055.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Also, I hope the Gurney Flap is in the trunk as it often seems ( regardless of Manufacturer ) items that are supposed to be installed are not done or not even given to the customer. I bring this up as over the years thefts of installed parts started happening prior to the vehicle getting to the Dealership, so the parts are sent to the Parts Dept. The labeling is poor and almost non existent , besides often coming late, so many folks get their vehicles with parts missing. Always good to ask and double check.

Great looking Mach 1, but I could be a little biased , ha, ha!

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
You never know what a vehicle has been thru before it hits the lot. My Boss had black paint over spray on the top of the front fenders towards the rear of the fenders but nothing on the hood. Weird being there is no black paint anywhere in that area. Buffed it off and moved on.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Also, in many States , minor damage ( 500 -1000 ) can be repaired and not divulged to the customer --- this is to cover shipping damage. What is frustrating to car purists like us is we don't want a damaged car. As noted before, I would just ask the dealership to provide a new bolt and hood catch and with pictures they should be able to get that done under warranty.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Also, in many States , minor damage ( 500 -1000 ) can be repaired and not divulged to the customer --- this is to cover shipping damage. What is frustrating to car purists like us is we don't want a damaged car. As noted before, I would just ask the dealership to provide a new bolt and hood catch and with pictures they should be able to get that done under warranty.
Or more like we want to damage it ourself !

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Middleboro, MA
Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah I am moving on.... After looking more closely, at the hood latch, I am not buying the black over the fighter jet gray story from the first local dealer I reached out to, pretty sure 100% sure that the overspray is the gray. The selling dealer, had an even lamer story, "just poor quality overspray from the factory".... So inspiring.

The Gurney flap is in the trunk, but I am missing the front wheel well arches (called spats on Corvettes)..... They are still trying to locate them for me, day 4 now !. That's really frustrating me, but I'll get over that too.

Found a Shelby GT500 owner near where I live who sold me the beautiful Shelby GT500 Alcantara steering wheel out of his 2021 that he's turning into a "show car". So got a new "Ford/Shelby" friend locally. Steering wheel is really nice, and I really wanted a wheel with more grip and feel when I go to Lime Rock and Watkins Glen next spring. Tried driving with gloves on, not really my thing.

Chris

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If I was to guess, only a guess. Someone at the factory or dealership scratched the under side of the hood with the prop rod. Instead of simply closing the hood and hoping the buyer didn’t notice or care, they fixed it. Could have done a better job fixing the scratch by taping off or removing the latch parts before painting.
A new striker from Ford is about $20. That would clean up the over spray for you.

Stop freaking out over nothing. The "overspray" look is normal.

From my 2018 GT350:
52542042202_a85a02b8eb_o.jpg

It looks like the factory part is coated black before being bolted to the hoods and then while going through paint it must get sprayed.
1670182919578.png

TMO Supporting Vendors