The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New Owner - Questions

Hey guys, I'm new here having just picked up a White 2013 Boss last week. So far the car is fantastic but I had a couple questions I thought you might help me with?

1. Gas mileage. Certainly the expecation was low here and I don't really care that much but with 275 miles on the car in non-highway driving I'm getting an indicated 11mpg average. Is this consistent with your experiences and will it increase after the first oil change and the motor has loosened up a bit? It would be great to hear what others are getting.

2. Valve stems caps say "Nitrofill" on them and I wasn't sure what this was about. I though maybe the tires were nitrogen filled from the factory but I can't find anything on the Ford site that would suggest this is the case, so maybe it's nothing.

Thanks
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Cartman said:
Hey guys, I'm new here having just picked up a White 2013 Boss last week. So far the car is fantastic but I had a couple questions I thought you might help me with?

1. Gas mileage. Certainly the expecation was low here and I don't really care that much but with 275 miles on the car in non-highway driving I'm getting an indicated 11mpg average. Is this consistent with your experiences and will it increase after the first oil change and the motor has loosened up a bit? It would be great to hear what others are getting.

2. Valve stems caps say "Nitrofill" on them and I wasn't sure what this was about. I though maybe the tires were nitrogen filled from the factory but I can't find anything on the Ford site that would suggest this is the case, so maybe it's nothing.

Thanks
The gas mileage various on how you drive it. I get an avg of 14mpg with a mix of highway/city traffic. on long highway trips I pull down 25.2 going an avg of 70 it will get its best MPG at 60-65 in 6th I have read.

The nitro fill...the 12's didnt come with it. Mine has it though it was a dealer after the sale option. Not sure what they are doing with the 13's though.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
Welcome to BMO !

If she is still breaking in I'd wait to see what gas mileage will really be. Give it to at least 500 to 1000 miles. I get 20 to 22 MPG at a steady 65 MPH on a flat highway in cool temps. MPG will drop drastically if you go much faster or don't keep it in 6'th gear or hit any sort of incline where you increase throttle. In city driving I can get as much as 17 MPG (rare) or as low as 11 MPG. The real MPG rating on the car is very volitile, once you open it up even a little it will drop quickly.

My 2012 LS did not have a Nitro fill tires as far as I am aware. I also had a lot of issues with the stock rubber valve stems, 2 out of the 4 failed on me. There have been reports that this may be common. I'd check them and suggest swapping them out for metal stems when you get a chance, especially if you plan on tracking the car.
 
Thanks guys for the information! So the EPA estimates are truly aspirational then. :D I do plan to track the car after it gets a few more miles on it so I appreciate the heads up on the valve stems.
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
PeteInCT said:
Welcome to BMO !
My 2012 LS did not have a Nitro fill tires as far as I am aware. I also had a lot of issues with the stock rubber valve stems, 2 out of the 4 failed on me. There have been reports that this may be common. I'd check them and suggest swapping them out for metal stems when you get a chance, especially if you plan on tracking the car.

Pete - Is there anything special about the metal stems for the stock Boss wheels that you're aware of? Do you have a source to obtain these or will most any tire shop carry them?

Thanks,

MMD
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
I know American Muscle has them. I received mine with the Enkei PF-01's from TireRack so I didn't purchase them seperately. The only thing you need to think of is the TPMS sensors if you are using them. I am, and I believe that the mount for the rubber stems may be different than for metal, so if you have TPMS on rubber stems they may not work with metal stemmed valves. I'd just check that first before ordering, some of the others here in the forum may know specifically.
 
As with most new cars, give the engine some time to break in properly and you'll see the mileage come up. My Raptor was the same way but most Raptor owners found 3k miles to be the magic mark where their mileage really came around.
 

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I almost have a 1000 miles and I can get 17 or so city with easy driving and just over 25 in 6th at 65 MPH. As one stated, if you open her up a few times, it drops a lot of fuel, but is a blast to drive. Also, if I have a the AC on it drops a couple MPG's.

To help my city mileage, I do my own Skip Shift. I go 1st, 3rd, 5th and it helps a lot. Anyone else do that?

I haven't looked at the Valve Stems, but will look later for the Nitrous fill. Does that keep tire temps down too?

Brian
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
The Nitrogen has no direct effect that I am aware of in keeping temps down in the tire surface. It does, however, expand and contract very little with large varations in temperature. By doing this, you actually can control tire temps across the face of the tread in a more consistent fashion. For example, if a tire become too over-inflated solely becuase of too much pressure from expansion it will overheat at it's center (as opposed to the edges of the tire). Nitrogen would keep the shape of the tire consistent as temps rise, so the ratio of the temps of the inner, center and outer portions of the tire can remain consistent and be a by product of driving style, camber setting, etc.

I am seriously thinking of switching to nitrogen and having my portable tank filled with it so I have a source if needed at the track. Is anyone else doing this, and if so is it really worth it? With my current setup I start the Nitto's at 33 lbs and run them at 40/41 hot.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
batman48195 said:
I almost have a 1000 miles and I can get 17 or so city with easy driving and just over 25 in 6th at 65 MPH. As one stated, if you open her up a few times, it drops a lot of fuel, but is a blast to drive. Also, if I have a the AC on it drops a couple MPG's.

To help my city mileage, I do my own Skip Shift. I go 1st, 3rd, 5th and it helps a lot. Anyone else do that?

I haven't looked at the Valve Stems, but will look later for the Nitrous fill. Does that keep tire temps down too?

Brian
I sometimes do the 1-3-5-6 if I am milking for best mpg
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
For the Boss in 2013 it may be, but you can get any tires filled with Nitrogen at local shops these days also. In my area even Walmart and Costco (who sell and install tires) will fill your tires with nitrogen for free when you buy the tires.
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,241
70
Justin said:
batman48195 said:
I almost have a 1000 miles and I can get 17 or so city with easy driving and just over 25 in 6th at 65 MPH. As one stated, if you open her up a few times, it drops a lot of fuel, but is a blast to drive. Also, if I have a the AC on it drops a couple MPG's.

To help my city mileage, I do my own Skip Shift. I go 1st, 3rd, 5th and it helps a lot. Anyone else do that?

I haven't looked at the Valve Stems, but will look later for the Nitrous fill. Does that keep tire temps down too?

Brian
I sometimes do the 1-3-5-6 if I am milking for best mpg

You can milk mad MPG if you accelerate half way up hills and coast to and over the crest and down the back if traffic patterns allow. Sure this can work up in hilly New England, but not so much in FL, TX and various other plain states...
 
I get 16 street and as mutch as 27 highway at 75. 1,3,5 are my normal shifts just driving. Test you gas milage skills real time. Just put up MPG and hit reset when you want to test what you are doing right now. I do this all the time and it helps me. If you do it on a track day bring heart medication.
 
144
0
MA
I only get about 80-100 miles out of a tank.

Oh wait a minute....that was at Lime Rock Park.

I averaged 23 mpg on the 3 and 1/2 hr ride there, with about 2800 miles on the odo, and avergared 25 mpg on the return trip going about 80 mph most of the way with the AC on. I think the motor loosened up! ;D
 
713
67
PeteInCT said:
6 qts in 500 miles?Better get that checked...

And the oil life monitor just came on. I had the oil changed in September, did 1 track day, and put on about 5,000 miles. I'm bringing it in and I will see what they say
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top