The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Newbie Here. 2013 Race Red Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afternoon all, I am a new owner of a 2013 Boss. I previously had a 1996 Mustang Cobra, and upgraded this January. I am interested in tips on getting started detailing/ washing/ waxing the Boss to keep her in superb condition. In the past, I have usually just driven through the car wash (old mustang) and have vowed to never do that to the new one.

So, assuming I know nothing about washing cars and where to start (truth), what are the basics, what products should I buy, and what tools do you all use.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

DZ

dziskovs said:
Afternoon all, I am a new owner of a 2013 Boss. I previously had a 1996 Mustang Cobra, and upgraded this January. I am interested in tips on getting started detailing/ washing/ waxing the Boss to keep her in superb condition. In the past, I have usually just driven through the car wash (old mustang) and have vowed to never do that to the new one.

So, assuming I know nothing about washing cars and where to start (truth), what are the basics, what products should I buy, and what tools do you all use.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

DZ
Congratulations! As far as learning all u can about keeping the boss looking sexy check out the Adams Polishes Forum. I just learned about it a few weeks ago. There are tons of detailers on there giving tips and tricks.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Read thru this section of the forum there are lots of tips on products and techniques from very knowledgeable guys like Justin. I really like Chemical Guy's products and they have lots of how to videos as well. But for starters get yourself two or three buckets with grit guards for washing along with a good washing liquid like Chemical Guys Mr Pink and lots of microfiber towels.

Welcome DZ and Justin, the moderator of the Detailers Corner, does amazing work.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Welcome to the forum.

You can go pretty crazy so let me ask what your budget is? And are you looking for show car quality paint or can you live with very fine swirls? Are you looking to do paint correction

Great sites for how to's are www.adamspolishes.com and www.autogeek.net they have videos as well. I can give you a list of what I use and the steps I take. here in a month or two I was going to do a how to on washing the car. just have to talk my wife into taking pics for me lol.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
these two kits would be a great start to having a great looking kit
I would upgrade to americana on this one
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-99-adams-essentials-detail-kit.aspx
and this kit for the wheels
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-887-adams-deep-clean-wheel-tire-kit.aspx
I have some codes for the site for a discount.

when you order from them they send you a how to dvd for free.

Agreed with Justin. That detail kit from Adam's is great to start out. You get a feel for almost everything detail wise and know what you'll want to order in the gallon. We both have a TON of different stuff and after a lot of trial and error have found what we like to use. Most of that still includes Adam's products. I can't recommend them enough if you're just starting out. Everything they make is very high quality and if you watch their videos, they make it very easy to grasp detailing properly.

Venturing out into Autogeek to start out can be VERY confusing. There are many companies and products and everyone claims to be the best. Some are good, some not so much. And companies like Chemical Guys don't help out either when they make 20 different kinds of 1 product such as car soap, MF towels, etc and claim that every one of them is the best. A few things from CG are good but a vast majority of their stuff is sub-par at best.

Anyway, TLDR, my advice is stick with Adam's, especially if you're new to properly detailing. The forums there are very helpful and they make excellent products with easy product selection.

Gonna need some pics of your car after the first detail! ;)

Thanks for all of the help, I know you are all doing it for my car and not for me ;D

I definitely like the all in one kit to start out, and hopefully I will be able to branch out from there.

Thanks again!

DZ

I like to get the most bang for my buck and for the effort I expend. I enjoy driving my car more than detailing it but I like it to look good too. My favorite product is Rejex sealant. It's easy, effective and very long lasting - can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.

TMO Supporting Vendors