The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NVH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I will be repainting my engine bay soon and don't want to reinstall the old deteriorated firewall insulation. I would prefer to not replace with new either but if it reduces NVH significantly I will, I don't think there's much weight there. Anyone notice a big increase after removing this? Or an increase in cabin heat?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
The only difference I noticed was how much cleaner and nicer it is to work on. I removed it from the hood, firewall, strut towers, and anywhere else that it was. The engine bay is so much brighter and cleaner without the rat fur.
I've seen and like the clean look. It's something I've always wanted to do and now's the time!
As for the hood, I'm installing a Chicane23 hood and love the glossy exposed carbon fiber on the underside.
I think no more rat fur for me either!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Related question - I've heard that more insulation was added to the S197 engine bay over the years. Does anyone know what the least amount of engine bay insulation was on an S197 from the factory? Specifically, 2005-2013 Mustang, including Boss, and 2007-2010 GT500.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel