The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil cooler install complete - how to prime the cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just finished my Setrab oil cooler install. Still trying to decide how to best prime the oil cooler so I don't have to do a dry start. I considered disabling the fuel pump by removing the fuel pump fuse or relay. Not sure if that is the way to go about it or not. What have others done? Any suggestions on what is the best method, I'm all ears.

Thanks Hack

I've never tried this but if you hold the gas pedal to the floor it won't fire and you can turn it over a few times to prime it. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

VooDooBOSS said:
I've never tried this but if you hold the gas pedal to the floor it won't fire and you can turn it over a few times to prime it. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

Yes, this does work. I have done this a couple of times installing coolers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
VooDooBOSS said:

That's what I do. I crank it for about 15 or 20 seconds or so, or until I hear the cranking run faster. Presumably because the fully lubed engine now puts a little less resistance on the starter. I do the same for a car that has sat for a while and has presumably drained back. But that's more like 5 or 10 seconds. Let go of the gas and it starts normally.

Thanks guys, I knew it was something simple. I've actually heard this before and completely forgot about it. As always the BMO gang comes through. Still the best Mustang Forum in the business.

I experienced some high temps a few events ago - when ambient temps were around 98F.
Last event, I ran without a grill and cyl. head temps didn't exceed 237F. So I ordered cervini's GT500 style grill to clean up the look and not look "unprofessional" on track ;D

Haven't installed the grill yet, but just to let you know, it does require some cutting if you want a clean look (2x fog light brackets and one bumper support in the center).

F.D. Sako said:
I experienced some high temps a few events ago - when ambient temps were around 98F.
Last event, I ran without a grill and cyl. head temps didn't exceed 237F. So I ordered cervini's GT500 style grill to clean up the look and not look "unprofessional" on track ;D

Haven't installed the grill yet, but just to let you know, it does require some cutting if you want a clean look (2x fog light brackets and one bumper support in the center).

I've been looking at the same grille. 237 CHT without a grille sounds great. Last April at MSR Cresson temps were 245 most sessions and even hit 250 during the hottest part of the day. Once it gets that hot the only option is to take a cool down lap, before limp mode kicks in. I'd like to here about the fit & finished once installed.

I'll keep post an update once i get it installed. The car's currently at the shop for some rear diff maintenance... and a few upgrades.

Oh and I've also bought cervini's lower grill as well, to complete the front end look.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel