The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oil/cooling warning temps for gauges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did some searching, but either I suck at the search terms today, or something. I am looking to program my Innovative gauges, and was looking for recommendations for a Yellow "warning" range, and a Red "you are probably breaking things" temp for both engine coolant taken from the block heater position, and also for oil temp taken at the exit of the sandwich plate headed to the oil cooler. Gen 1 non Boss Coyote (doubt that matters). Thanks guys!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
For engine oil I would say my Yellow would be 275 and Red 295... Then again maybe thats why I am still rebuilding my engine.
+1

Here are additional posts that provide a variety of opinions. Significantly, one references the BOSS 302S manual that says oil temps should never exceed 300.

+1

Here are additional posts that provide a variety of opinions. Significantly, one references the BOSS 302S manual that says oil temps should never exceed 300.

Thank you Sir! Alot of those I read through, but one I didn't was exactly what I was looking for with oil temps.

In my past experience, you definitely don't want to be anywhere near 300F on oil temp... I would set your yellow indicator at 265 degrees F, and your red one at 285 degrees F. That way when yellow shows up you know to back off, and if red shows up you still have enough time to make sure to cool it down properly before cresting 300. Just my personal opinion.

As far as coolant temp goes, I'd suggest yellow somewhere in the ballpark of 250F for yellow and 260F for red, but again that is my opinion. Just depends on how important lap times are vs health of your engine. If you are just doing track days, I'd stray towards the more conservative side to help out engine longevity. If you are in more of a competition setting where lap times matter, then you could push it a bit higher with the caveat of engine longevity decreasing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Any idea on the correlation between the derived center cluster color coded temp gauge and an actual temp gauge.

For example, if it touches red on the center cluster, does a real temp gauge read in the 280 area or is it still in the 260s?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel