The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Problem using red key only?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My car is a daily driver. I have the Trackkey and was wondering. Is there any reason I should NOT use the red key only?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Going into work with a grin all the time could be unsettling to your co-workers!! ;D

I have seen this question before on other forums. The answer has always been no.

Some have cautioned against using the red key during the 1000 mile break in period.

I use mine daily. Tried the silver key last summer. While merging onto the interstate I was surprised by the lack of engine braking while blending into traffic. No other issues to report.

Enjoy.

There is the famous warranty issue that everyone and their mom seem to have a different opinion about. Base warranty or extended warranty. Including my dealership which has me concerned since I bought the ESP. I need to follow up with them for the fifth time.

I've also heard that the car will learn your driving patterns and adjust. If you are not driving her hard, you'll lose some of the improvements. Supposedly.

I love the sound and lopey idle with the plates removed. Engine braking is a bit touchy at low speeds.

I have both keys on my key chain. The strange thing is, my hands pick the red key 95% of the time. So it must be destiny to run the red key.

Darth Boss said:
There is the famous warranty issue that everyone and their mom seem to have a different opinion about. Base warranty or extended warranty. Including my dealership which has me concerned since I bought the ESP. I need to follow up with them for the fifth time.

Any impact to the warranty that may or may not be caused by Track Key happens when you have the dealer install it. It's not based on how often you use the red key.

I thought this warranty thing has already been beat to death. Check this link.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/ford-response-trackey-inquiry-re-warranty-519817/

racered302 said:
I thought this warranty thing has already been beat to death. Check this link.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/ford-response-trackey-inquiry-re-warranty-519817/

It has been beaten to death. I've read this post, and I believe it to be one of the most incorrect. From what I've been able to gather, as soon as you install the track key, your power train goes from 5-yr 60 to 3-yr 36 and is now covered by Ford racing.

Ford customer service has nothing to do with Ford warranty or Ford Racing warranty. You can't really trust a darn thing they say as you can get 10 if fervent answers to the same question.

If you buy the Ford ESP you will see plenty of posts saying no you can't have the ESP with Track Key or yes you can. Some dealers returning $'s spent. You can call Ford EsP yourself and get varying levels of answers from, no you can't to we recommend you don't because we can't guarantee anything will be covered after 3-yr 36, including things like if your A/C goes out.

Then there is the post by Deysha from Ford Customer Service I believe as well. Saying full warranty is intact, base or ESP. If damage is caused by use of TK then that repair is covered only 3-yr 36.

"Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha"

All I know is that my efforts to get anything in writing have failed. Even if the last statement is true. Ford's warranty determination department will probably always rule that any engin or power train issue was caused by use of Tack Key whether you raced it or not. To say thy have to prove that it was caused by or during use of TK is crazy o believe.

All in all, I love my track key, at the same time I kind of wish I didn't activate it.

I had the Track key programming done last January. Since then the only time I've
used the silver key is when I've taken the car in for service. I've put over 5000 miles on the red key and haven't noticed any issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors