The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

program wheel sensors

dgc76

Life is good
I have new wheels and Ford TPMS on the way. To reprogram for my son's Fusion, you hit the brake, turn the key on and off 3 times ending in the off position, tap the brake, turn it on and off 3 times ending in the on position and a message pops up that it is ready to program (with the tool). Is this the same procedure for the 2013 Boss?
 
You should not need any tool to program the new sensors. Just take the car for a ride and once it reaches a certain for a certain amount of time the car will recognize them. I did not look up the speed and time it should be in the manual but it is low like 35 MPH or something like that.
 
dgc76 said:
I have new wheels and Ford TPMS on the way. To reprogram for my son's Fusion, you hit the brake, turn the key on and off 3 times ending in the off position, tap the brake, turn it on and off 3 times ending in the on position and a message pops up that it is ready to program (with the tool). Is this the same procedure for the 2013 Boss?
Yes, same process. I'm not sure whether you have to do it or not, but that process works just like on my '07 GT500.
 
I have 2 different sets of wheels (stock and aftermarket set) and each has a different "brand" of sensor. I find that if I swap all 4 wheels without turning on the car, I do not need to reset the light since the light never comes on.

Basically, I have seen a low tire pressure light which goes away when pressure is brought above minimum level and the car is driven for a short distance but I have also seen the TPMS malfunction warning. I got the TPMS malfunction warning when I got a flat on my stock wheels and put an aftermarket wheel (with sensor) on to get me home and around. It seemed to have a problem with the different sensors. Once I got the flat fixed, I had to reset the sensors to get the malfunction warning to go away.

You will also get the TPMS malfunction warning if you drive around with wheels that have no sensors and when you get sensors, you would then need to reset the warning using the process you described and a reset tool.
 
jnathan68 said:
You will also get the TPMS malfunction warning if you drive around with wheels that have no sensors and when you get sensors, you would then need to reset the warning using the process you described and a reset tool.

I do this all the time, when I swap the track wheels back to the factory wheel the light goes off in a few minutes of driving. I have no idea why you guys need to do anything more, even on my 11 F150 I swapped out my factory wheels for another set and the system works fine doing nothing. Even had a slow lead in the new set and the light worked as intended.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
YellowBoss said:
I do this all the time, when I swap the track wheels back to the factory wheel the light goes off in a few minutes of driving. I have no idea why you guys need to do anything more, even on my 11 F150 I swapped out my factory wheels for another set and the system works fine doing nothing. Even had a slow lead in the new set and the light worked as intended.
+1
 
Never had to do anything swapping mine back and fourth. I posted this months ago when this seller had 200+ sets and I purchased two sets. He's down to 11 so grab them while you can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180975575464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
 
I bought oem sensors for my winter set, didn't have to do any programming. I'm guessing the car recognized them after a while, because no light ever came up.

I purchased mine from the above link.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
Never had to do anything swapping mine back and fourth. I posted this months ago when this seller had 200+ sets and I purchased two sets. He's down to 11 so grab them while you can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180975575464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
thanks for the reminder. Just picked up a set for my future winter wheels. Thanks for the link
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top