The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Pumpkin GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
This is a testament to always checking your new wheels...

I had purchased a set of SVE 19x11 wheels a while back for a crazy deal and I just last night took them out of the packaging to get tires installed. I had read somewhere to always check the stamping on the inside to make sure they are the right offset and whatnot. Sure enough, one of the 19x11 +50 wheels turned out to be a 19x10 +35. Luckily LMR has pretty darn good customer service. I'm just hoping the replacement comes quickly so I can make the 17th.
Yikes now i am running down to the garage to check my 19x11 SP2s from SVE/LMR...

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Holy guacamole! They gave me a trophy!

1610990712373.png

This was my first competitive event and I honestly was not expecting to be competitive at all. I think the real winner here is the set of 305 SC3 tires; dang these things grip!

My previous time here was 1:42 so naturally, I was pre-grid at the back of the pack. I was expecting a 1:39 maybe. @flyhalf said "you got 1:35 easy" ...first session out and I did 1:35
Second session....1:34.7
Third session....1:36
Fourth session with only a single flying lap and then pulled in....1:33.9! (Track Addicts said 1:33.9 but official time was 1:34.1) which apparently was good enough for 3rd place.

This event was so much fun and the people made it even better. It felt like a TMO reunion. It was so nice to come to an event and know so many people.
Had the pleasure of meeting @c_reber and @67GTA and many others who may or may not be on TMO. And saw @PaddyPrix spin on turn 3; you always know how to keep things interesting 🤣

From a technical/experience side, again these tires are awesome! I finally understand why people say tires are the most important part of the car. I was able to hold 20-30 mph more speed in almost every turn.
Also, this entire time I have been driving in Sport mode (TC still on) cause I was afraid if I turned it off, I would spin out of control and ruin my car. I finally decided to put the thing into Track mode. What a difference! The car still gets a little tail happy at times (need more rear camber) but it's much more predictable and easier to control than having TC kick in and do it's weird magic. Best of all, no more throttle cut! It felt so nice to be able to immediately get back on throttle after a slight skid.

A podium finish was the best feeling ever! I will definitely remember this day and this feeling for the rest of my life. Ever since I started track driving back in 2019 with no prior experience, my ultimate goal was to compete and be competitive. I thought that day was still years down the road; never would have guessed that day would come so soon.
Gotta keep pushing and maybe one day I'll steal 1st place from Chris :cool:

1610992426362.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
Congratulations! I've been following your build thread for a while now and enjoying reading about your upgrades.

I also got third place at a mini-event at the end of my my last track day a few weeks back (prize: an artisan cheese). For some reason whenever I tell someone about it they ask me how many other competitors there were. So please don't ask that.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Next time, second place, so you can get both a bottle of wine and some cheese, ha. I like the style at the Track in Spain, do well on the track and you get dinner. I have a feeling you will continue to do well as it is obvious you are addicted to this hobby as badly as many of us are?

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Ale - Just set the video public, I think Super GT makes it private to the members. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's 4m20s in length, and some Pumpkin goes flying by once or twice.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Ale - Just set the video public, I think Super GT makes it private to the members. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's 4m20s in length, and some Pumpkin goes flying by once or twice.
Those dang flying pumpkins

....is punkin chunkin still a thing? I miss watching that

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
What a weekend this was. Back at ACS for possibly the last time ever as it'll be demolished for a 1/2 mile oval in 2022. Not my favorite track but I had to get one more session in as this was also the very first track I ever drove on. Made it a special weekend. Besides the nostalgia, I advanced two groups in a single day, set a PB, had my first full-course red and then full black flag session, and saw my first big track accident.

Started the weekend off in HPDE 3. Then came Sunday and I got approved for HPDE 4. The instructor asked what my goal was and I replied that I wanted to do TT. He had an instructor follow me on track in the morning, he gave me some pointers and advice and checked me again later in the day. I wasn't expecting anything based on his constructive criticisms from the morning check ride but sure enough, he signed me off into TT! He said he appreciated that I listened to his advice, applied it on track, and saw real benefits (took 3 seconds off my lap time).

On the other side of the coin, a Boss 302S was rear-ended on track and rolled. Both cars were fully caged and both drivers walked away from it. Glad no one was seriously hurt. Crazy part, this happened in HPDE 3/4! So to all those who say safety equipment isn't needed in HPDE groups, it can literally happen to anyone. My fiancé says it's time for me to at least put a roll bar in my car.

1616435618699.png

I don't know about TT2 with @flyhalf and @PaddyPrix but I'll definitely join @67GTA in TT3! Time to start shedding weight

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
What a weekend this was. Back at ACS for possibly the last time ever as it'll be demolished for a 1/2 mile oval in 2022. Not my favorite track but I had to get one more session in as this was also the very first track I ever drove on. Made it a special weekend. Besides the nostalgia, I advanced two groups in a single day, set a PB, had my first full-course red and then full black flag session, and saw my first big track accident.

Started the weekend off in HPDE 3. Then came Sunday and I got approved for HPDE 4. The instructor asked what my goal was and I replied that I wanted to do TT. He had an instructor follow me on track in the morning, he gave me some pointers and advice and checked me again later in the day. I wasn't expecting anything based on his constructive criticisms from the morning check ride but sure enough, he signed me off into TT! He said he appreciated that I listened to his advice, applied it on track, and saw real benefits (took 3 seconds off my lap time).

On the other side of the coin, a Boss 302S was rear-ended on track and rolled. Both cars were fully caged and both drivers walked away from it. Glad no one was seriously hurt. Crazy part, this happened in HPDE 3/4! So to all those who say safety equipment isn't needed in HPDE groups, it can literally happen to anyone. My fiancé says it's time for me to at least put a roll bar in my car.

View attachment 63693

I don't know about TT2 with @flyhalf and @PaddyPrix but I'll definitely join @67GTA in TT3! Time to start shedding weight
Congrats and great seeing you this weekend Eric!! How quickly our NASA TT gang has grown! NASA is very excited about the “fresh meat” in TT - Greg Greenbaum presented @flyhalf with a special acknowledgement and award at yesterday’s drivers meeting for bringing in new drivers! I wouldn’t be participating without encouragement from @PaddyPrix - we need to keep the recruitment rolling!

Greg also mentioned in the meeting that plans for the track are still evolving. The latest talk is the infield will not be available during construction of the 1/2 mile short track, however they’re strongly considering keeping the remaining parts of the oval and infield as a road course for 2023 and beyond. Much like the RPM Act, I feel like now is the time that NASCAR and International Speedway Corp. need feedback and encouragement from grassroots drivers to keep this facility viable for year round use.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Congrats and great seeing you this weekend Eric!! How quickly our NASA TT gang has grown! NASA is very excited about the “fresh meat” in TT - Greg Greenbaum presented @flyhalf with a special acknowledgement and award at yesterday’s drivers meeting for bringing in new drivers! I wouldn’t be participating without encouragement from @PaddyPrix - we need to keep the recruitment rolling!

Greg also mentioned in the meeting that plans for the track are still evolving. The latest talk is the infield will not be available during construction of the 1/2 mile short track, however they’re strongly considering keeping the remaining parts of the oval and infield as a road course for 2023 and beyond. Much like the RPM Act, I feel like now is the time that NASCAR and International Speedway Corp. need feedback and encouragement from grassroots drivers to keep this facility viable for year round use.
Agreed on more drivers. I'm trying to get my friend with the AI Foxbody into TT as well. I could see myself competing in TT for awhile though I know my friend wants to run AIX with his dad eventually.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

I think the part that keeps it most fun, is that the cars are also in our region. We've got cars in xT1-4 which provides some good competition no matter where you fit, and if you look through the NASA Compliance Database, it's sadly not the case like that for every region (NorCal nothing higher than 4 :( ), and the variety of power/weight classes keeps you on your toes as some do better in sections than others, like the Porsche and Vette I faced in the morning, then the LS swapped BMW M Coupe and Competition Viper in the afternoon.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
After my wife saw a continuation cobra crash and driver airlifted , she gave me the OK for my roll bar.
Yesterday's conversation...
Fiancé: "how soon are you looking to get the roll bar installed? We'll start looking at trailer prices too."
Me: "um...yes. I agree with everything you just said."

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
My 60% off set of RRs came in. Can't wait to try these out once my SC3 are toast.

1617716343065.png

I'm now in a weird spot where I can try to be competitive for Super GT Cup or Nasa TT3 but not both. These RRs would push me out of Street class in SGC but I could use these and strip a whole lot of weight for TT3. I think I'll keep the car as-is for SGC for the season and then next year, prep the car for TT3.

I don't want to be in Mod class with @flyhalf cause then I'll never get a 1st place 🤣

Also did some fluid maintenance yesterday - fresh trans and diff fluid went in. The color of the oils looked fine. I probably could've gone two years rather than one but I'd rather play it safe, it's cheap insurance.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Toyos are looking as a way to go in NASA and since I have found a source for 315/30/18s it looks very promising. I can lose a bit more weight and gain a bit of HP, so that sounds quite promising for ST2 this year.

TT3 should be fun with the Toyos and it sounds like you have two sets of tires, so why not run both groups ---- never hurts to run a Class even if you are a bit heavy, you get seatime with the folks you will be running the following year after you are down to fighting weight, ha.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel