The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Pumpkin GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Toyos are looking as a way to go in NASA and since I have found a source for 315/30/18s it looks very promising. I can lose a bit more weight and gain a bit of HP, so that sounds quite promising for ST2 this year.

TT3 should be fun with the Toyos and it sounds like you have two sets of tires, so why not run both groups ---- never hurts to run a Class even if you are a bit heavy, you get seatime with the folks you will be running the following year after you are down to fighting weight, ha.
Oh I will run both groups this year but the car will be in a great spot for SGC but far from the limit for TT3. Next year, I'll make the car better for TT3 and just have fun with SGC but in Mod class.

I'm really really far to the tt2 limit too. So i hear you lol.
Removing a passenger seat is an easy task you can do for tt3. Also a nice investment is a lithium battery. Shave 25-30lbs.
One thing. You are getting faster. And as more guys suggested me..u need to consider a rollbar.
That means you can remove the rear seat too to partially compensate the weight gain with the rollbar.
Unfortunately our cars are just heavy especially for a dual purpose car.
Add more power! 😈

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'm really really far to the tt2 limit too. So i hear you lol.
Removing a passenger seat is an easy task you can do for tt3. Also a nice investment is a lithium battery. Shave 25-30lbs.
One thing. You are getting faster. And as more guys suggested me..u need to consider a rollbar.
That means you can remove the rear seat too to partially compensate the weight gain with the rollbar.
Unfortunately our cars are just heavy especially for a dual purpose car.
Add more power! 😈
A rollbar is already planned for this summer :) Focusing a bit more on safety now after that crash at Autoclub.
They are way too heavy. Stripping out the essentials, we are still heavier than most cars out there.
I might have to add power but I'm really avoiding it. I figured a 100% factory engine will last longer than one with a bunch of aftermarket goodies stressing it more than designed.

The good thing of our engine is we dont need cams or fancy stuff like in the camaro. Yes less gain but safer gain
A CAI and a tune and catback ( no headers ) can give you 30-40 whp.
If you want to preserve our high compression engine be sure to use better gas than a 91. Start adding 100.
This advice came ..in a little rude way ( :) )..from AED and their tuner.
That is a great way to protect the engine.
Also lube well. And change engine oil and filter often. And as u know i also add motorkote.
Last a catchcan is always a good idea :)

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I've also read that Terry Fair says not revving the engine past 6800 will make it last a much longer time.
That's pretty true. If you look at dynos of mine, yours, whoevers, we start falling off at 6500 or so, give or take a few hundred. With the springs good to about 7500, no real reason to keep pushing them to their limit if you have another gear. Kinda sucks with the MT82-D4 having such wide gearing and double overdrive with the jump to 5th being a decent one... Although nowhere near as bad as the TKO/T-45 which went from 1.00:1 to like 0.63:1.

Speaking of gearing, Buttonwillow is coming up, and I hate how it's perfectly terrible with this dumb f'n trans.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Me: "Patrick, I went 4-off for the first time."
@PaddyPrix : "Welcome to the club!"

Another fun-filled weekend with the Super GT Cup folks at Buttonwillow!
Made some new friends, learned some new things, and added to my sun burn.

Not going to lie though, I was a bit disappointed in myself this weekend. I was hoping to get a 2:05 or even lower but I couldn't get passed a 2:07 all day long. After reviewing my video, I maneuvered around traffic and coasted at a few points so a 2:06 or maybe 2:05 is definitely possible. I got stuck behind the same guy on two different sessions. Feels like a lame excuse though, I should be able to get around him.
This was also one of my more sloppy track days as well. Lots of people going off and throwing dirt on the track (myself included) and it was the hottest track day I've ever done. 90° outside may not seem super hot to some but I try to avoid the really hot days. After lunch, I could only get a single hot lap in before my CHT's were already at my comfortable limit.
I still took 5 seconds off my previous lap time so there's that. I'm aiming for that sub-2:00 club though. One day.

I may do one more track day in a couple weeks and then it's summer break for me. Lots of changes happening over summer. Steel brake lines, rear studs, boxed radiator, roll bar, partially-gutted interior, and lots of Racers360 and sim practice. @flyhalf has been telling me for years now to get on Assetto Corsa as times in the game actually match times on the track. I think now's the time.

1620655899200.png

Last edited:
We will have another shot in December. Colder. For more power. And better grip.
I see a sub 2 soon.
Sorry i couldn't drive with you but time trials rule are not allowing it. We will try next time to go ome session in HPDE for that.
Good job on the PB!
and yes "you ain't alive if you hadn't a 4wheel off at buttonwillow

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
We will have another shot in December. Colder. For more power. And better grip.
I see a sub 2 soon.
Sorry i couldn't drive with you but time trials rule are not allowing it. We will try next time to go ome session in HPDE for that.
Good job on the PB!
and yes "you ain't alive if you hadn't a 4wheel off at buttonwillow
Thanks Ale! And no worries, rules are rules.

After session two and having gone off ( a few times) I thought to myself "am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with the car? Now thinking back, this is typical for me at Buttonwillow. It's a much more difficult track than Autoclub or Big Willow. Takes a lot more focus and cleaner/tighter line. I simply need more practice....and maybe more rear camber 😂

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Remember, E, when discussing the merits of a track whenever your times are down it can always be tied to;

1. Damn weather was too hot!
2. Goofy Camaro drivers kept going off the track on my best lap.
3. I forgot to check my tire pressures
4. I ran out of beer the night before
5. All of the above

We know that as a TMO member you have to be fast , skilled , a driven athlete to the max, so it has to be one of the above reasons.

Next time the weather will be cooler and all the Camaros will be in the shop for another recall!

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Remember, E, when discussing the merits of a track whenever your times are down it can always be tied to;

1. Damn weather was too hot!
2. Goofy Camaro drivers kept going off the track on my best lap.
3. I forgot to check my tire pressures
4. I ran out of beer the night before
5. All of the above

We know that as a TMO member you have to be fast , skilled , a driven athlete to the max, so it has to be one of the above reasons.

Next time the weather will be cooler and all the Camaros will be in the shop for another recall!
Great point Bill, it was definitely those dang Camaros and the lack of beer!
Jokes aside, those Camaros are seriously fast...

@PaddyPrix Going 4-off was the real trophy of the weekend!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Now, you need to save up and wander clear out to Nebraska in September for the Mustang Roundup ---------we Midwesterners reward agricultural racers. Go off track in Hastings and you are awarded a F.A.R.T. sticker!!

F.A.R.T. = Ford Alfalfa Racing Team

Last edited:
Track was fast only on sess 1.
Then progressively lost 1-2sec every sess. Between heat and dirt.
Also from a physical point of view buttonwillow with its heat is really demanding.
Multiple studies showed that dehydration can reduce performance a lot.
Exercise performance is impaired when an individual is dehydrated by as little as 2% of body weight. Losses in excess of 5% of body weight can decrease the capacity for work by about 30%
So especially in event like ours where u spend hrs under sun going around chatting , The recovery phase is limited and you " forget to eat and drink properly" .so progressively your attention and concentration tend to fade. So part of the growing process for me is to : eat less and better (no big fat burgers or sandwich) and drink water , high caffeine tea, and smaller but more often Snacks (nuts based for plenty of energy)
Hope this help.

Ale

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dehydration can be more common with young drivers than old , because they often feel it is not necessary when they are in good shape. This is so far from the truth and over the years I have seen young drivers pass out from the heat and go flying off track. Good points by Flyhalf and regardless of your age or perceived fitness, drinking enough water to float a battleship is a good thing when on track on a warm day. Probably more of a concern when just warm out, because then drivers have a tendency to feel it is not as necessary. The whole key is the main heat you encounter is in that trackratmobile it can be an oven on four wheels. If you drive, drink ( water )!

Last edited:
I'm really tempted to start bringing a scale for me. When i come back home i weight up to 4lbs less. And that is including the 1ton of food and drinks i have after the racing activity.
That means i need more water.
Those are all details but the faster you get the more attention you should put on them.
:)

TMO Supporting Vendors