The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby Bash March 21 - Open Track at Spring Mountain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
That looks like fun. I may have to join you guys for 2014. For 2013 I'll be drinking my favorite Mexican beer from Waikiki Beach. ;D

Lots of sand in Nevada, they got Mexican beer there, and we'll squirt you with water...be just like Hawai'i without the tradewinds... :p

My in-laws live over on the other side of the island in Kailua right on the beach...doesn't get any better than that, enjoy!

Bump!

Ty5khnMxaHhs_nRfyPdQZBowIQVIPWyqDjpxe0Wy5Tqq3QG4ig.jpg

Tom- Is this what the KR is going to sound like with the new huffer?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7yiP5BEh9Qk[/youtube]

I'm going to go to this event...in 2014. Looks like fun.

I'm going to hold you to it Rick! Shouldn't have to, it's the best late model Mustang event west of the Mississippi..

I'm finding it hard to believe that only kr, P51, and I are going from this forum! We're rolling out in the morning to Palm Springs then to Vegas on Thursday. Of course it's raining tonight, just like last year... At least this year I didn't bother to wash the car first!

See you next year Rick!

Fat Boss said:
I'm finding it hard to believe that only kr, P51, and I are going from this forum! We're rolling out in the morning to Palm Springs then to Vegas on Thursday. Of course it's raining tonight, just like last year... At least this year I didn't bother to wash the car first!

See you next year Rick!
Looking forward to going next year. Have a fast, fun and safe drive. Aloha!

I'm home from the Shelby Bash. It was a first class run event, just like last year. The weekend turned out to be one of the most memorable weekends of my life. I'll try to keep in order since there's a lot to cover. :p

The Wednesday drive down to Palm Springs was great. cali_kr expertly led the pack. It was fun successfully moving through traffic in the greater LA area as a large team.

036_zpsb98ca241.jpg

The hotel, Agua Caliente, was a nice place with a large parking structure to park the cars.

Thursday morning we went to Vegas. Lots of fun driving as a group in the completely awesome desert southwest. I met Mike and Brian who now own Kendall's old LS, and Rick, a great guy from Carson City. The drive was just amazing and I got to see the London Bridge for the first time! That evening we were socializing at the Guitar Center. All the cars were parked together and it was a fun night.

Friday morning we were at the track early and had a great day. The suspension mods made a HUGE difference and the car was handling great. I was in the advanced run group and found some very good drivers. The Shelby Focus was pretty cool to see out there. It's no match for a Boss but it's no slouch either!

Friday night we went to CaddyShack, the officially licensed Shelby golf cart company. It was a real treat to get a picture with Allen Grant after he signed my shirt. I told him I wore the shirt all day and didn't pick one up there like most everyone else. His eyes lit up and said, "if you'll just..." and I replied, "oh I'll just..." We had a chuckle and he signed the shirt. We talked for a few minutes and he was a really nice guy.

066_zps1a067f1b.jpg

ShelbyBash2013006_zpsec0e937a.jpg

Saturday morning we were back out at the track. Everything was playing out to be another phenomenal day at the track when I slid off and hit a tire wall. The wall helped absorb most of the energy of the car, but whipped around both sides of the car in the process. It did its job and prevented me from being injured. I don't really want to get into the details of the crash other than to say the car really did protect me well as I slid in backwards. It's really a bummer since it was the last session and there was only a lap or two left. :(

ShelbyBash2013013_zpsaba60493.jpg

ShelbyBash2013021_zps320a6d9e.jpg

I called AAA and we flat bedded it over to the Shelby American parking lot by the LV Motor Speedway. I was whisked back to the hotel by another Nor Cal guy, Jared in his supercharged '13 GT and got cleaned up and down to the banquet.

Sunday morning was the car show but along with some totally awesome to the nth degree folks from the Seattle Mustang Club, we trailered it back to my house, only about 550 miles away. Al and Chuck were going to trailer Chuck's GT500 back to Seattle, but offered to drive 5 hours out of their way on their non stop trip while Chuck drove the 500. That's a great example of the character of the folks on the trip. Much to my surprise their tow rig was a Raptor!

ShelbyBash2013038_zps6b71ac0a.jpg

In the end it was an incredible weekend that just didn't turn out well. I'm sure the bright side will emerge and I'll be back in the saddle before I know it. :)

VTBoss302 said:
Oh, my.

Glad you're OK.

Thanks VTBoss302! It took 24 hours to really come to terms with what happened, but I'm ok with it now. The fact that I had absolutely zero pain this morning has a lot to do with that!

NFSBOSS said:
I'm glad to see you're ok but sorry to hear your weekend wasn't perfect. You'll have it back on the road in plenty of time for Laguna Seca in August. ;)

Thanks Rick! It'll be interesting to see this play out. I purchased a policy from Lockton last week to cover me. I have an email in to them with pictures asking for what the next step is. I know I have a substantial deductible, but at least I'm not out the entire car's value, or if it can be repaired, the repair cost.

LvnTheDrm

"You get what you Create!"
Andy--
You are an amazing guy! What a great attitude/perspective you have. Way better than 99% of us who may have experienced a similar situation. So great to hang with you this weekend...look forward to more memories in the future!
Brian

Andy that's a bummer but certainly the best thing is you're not hurt. Glad you had some coverage and looking forward to seeing you get her put back together.

Tulsa, OK
Happy to see that you weren't injured and it seems like you have the right perspective on the situation. Hopefully you'll be fixed up soon and back on track :)

Andy,

repeating the obvious, the priorities are:
1. you
2. your car - you can repair / replace that stuff

and I've been in that exact same situation. it was humbling to see my car flat-bedded away from the track. and it's amazing how well tire walls absorb impact...and find a way to beat up multiple sides of your car in so-doing.

glad you're ok, bro.

John

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ARGH that sucks...at least you had the track insurance and a positive attitude!

On the bright side, I see a 2013 rear end conversion in your future...

Just joined the forum. I bought Kendall's LS with my neighbor as a track car. We drove through the CA,AZ, NV desert with Andy and had a absolute blast. I have some great GoPro footage behind Andy on the track for a few laps. We had an absolute blast. I heard the car spinning from the pits and ran out there. To sum it up Andy was right there moving the tires back in place with the track crew after the crash. Everyone stepped up especially the guys from Seattle for trailering the car. It was an awesome 4 days, will do it every year as long as I can....

LvnTheDrm said:
Andy--
You are an amazing guy! What a great attitude/perspective you have. Way better than 99% of us who may have experienced a similar situation. So great to hang with you this weekend...look forward to more memories in the future!
Brian

Wasn't it a blast? We'll have to get you guys up here to Sears Pt for the Shelby Club Mini Nats for sure and hopefully Laguna Seca.

cloud9 said:
Andy that's a bummer but certainly the best thing is you're not hurt. Glad you had some coverage and looking forward to seeing you get her put back together.

Thanks Gary! It'll be like the bionic man. Better than before..

roadhouse said:
Happy to see that you weren't injured and it seems like you have the right perspective on the situation. Hopefully you'll be fixed up soon and back on track :)

Thanks roadhouse! I'm crossing my finger that I won't miss any of my planned events this year.

fuhrius said:
Andy,

repeating the obvious, the priorities are:
1. you
2. your car - you can repair / replace that stuff

and I've been in that exact same situation. it was humbling to see my car flat-bedded away from the track. and it's amazing how well tire walls absorb impact...and find a way to beat up multiple sides of your car in so-doing.

glad you're ok, bro.

John

Thanks John! I remember you telling me about your car. You're right, it's humbling.

ArizonaGT said:
ARGH that sucks...at least you had the track insurance and a positive attitude!

On the bright side, I see a 2013 rear end conversion in your future...

What's up Drew? Naw, I don't like the George Foreman grills..

GTMikey said:
Just joined the forum. I bought Kendall's LS with my neighbor as a track car. We drove through the CA,AZ, NV desert with Andy and had a absolute blast. I have some great GoPro footage behind Andy on the track for a few laps. We had an absolute blast. I heard the car spinning from the pits and ran out there. To sum it up Andy was right there moving the tires back in place with the track crew after the crash. Everyone stepped up especially the guys from Seattle for trailering the car. It was an awesome 4 days, will do it every year as long as I can....

Mike... You and Brian made a great trip even better. Can't wait to see you in Tahoe!

TMO Supporting Vendors