The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Something loose inside the wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
I've noticed a clinking noise, similar to hitting 2 wrenches together. Irregular. Only when driving very slow like walking pace. Took off the tires and checked everything in the suspension and it is all good.

Then someone suggested I spin the wheel by hand on the hub and bingo: there's something loose inside 2 of my wheels.

Car drives fine. I suspect it is probably some TPMS thing that broke free and tumbles against the wheel barrel until I go fast enough for the centripetal force to hold it against the tire at speed?

I have TPMS alarm, but I'm used to the TPMS icon being solid yellow in the dash since 2010 on all my cars so I did not notice when it came up.. I check my pressures manually and the tires are holding air just fine. But 2 of them have 'something' loose inside.

Is it a safety hazard? I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone has some insight to share?

If it is not unsafe, I will keep my money instead of getting the tires re-mounted.

Thanks!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
My vote for sounds like that is normally gravel caught in the back of the brake rotor by the splash shield.

However, if there's a TPMS error, it could be the pressure sensor broke off from the valve stem and is banging around inside the tire & wheel. From Google pics, they don't seem to have sharp edges that would cause major damage to the inside of the tire, but personally I would want to get it removed sooner than later. It's also going to be a randomly-positioned wheel weight when the wheel speed is high enough to hold it in one place.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel