The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound deadening in console?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In trying to formulate a plan of attack for quieting my noisy shifter now that I swapped out to an aftermarket bracket, I was wondering if there was any sound deadening under the console. I saw a thread on TMS that showed a layer of sound deadening over the trans tunnel and underneath the console on a "regular" Mustang, but am wondering if that had been deleted on the Boss. Anyone know for sure?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
It's still there. If you want to add additional stuff I'd recommending applying Dynamat to the underside of the tunnel in the shifter area, as well as the in-cabin side.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
My MGW shifter came with a sheet of dynomat. I just placed it around the shifter opening on the inside of the cabin. you may want to put some on the bottom of your shifter box as its just a piece of stamped steel that is very thin and will rattle like a can as well. The MGW shifter also comes with another part of thick sound deading mat to place over the factory piece that is there already.

If you go to the MGW web site there install video shows what they did to quiet it up.

GA
One of the features touted about the Boss was a 35% reduction in sound deadening material, I suppose to make it feel more rough around the edges than a GT. I am not sure where they deleted it.

TMO Supporting Vendors