The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound Tube Delete Aluminum Cap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Like many here, one of the first mods we did to the new hottie after delivery was to remove the intake sound tube.

And again, like many, I chose the kit offered by Cool Tech. After receiving the kit in the mail, and upon inspection, I was a tad disappointed in the cheesy rubber cap/clamp combo. I thought I could do better.

For the last 12 years I have overseen all machining operations for our company. We are an OEM manufacturer of machine tools for the printing, packaging, and converting industries. Since 1991 I have held my Journeyman Machinist's card. I have access to all the latest in CNC machine tools and with an open lathe, and a detailed drawing in hand, I came up with this cap to replace the Cool Tech cap/clamp assembly.

This cap is CNC machined from solid 6061-T6 aluminum and features a hand brushed finish. Due to variances in the injection molding process of the Boss intake tube assembly, the caps are machined .010-.012 smaller than the OEM diameter of the sound tube protrusion lip. These caps are designed to have an extremely tight fit over this protrusion. A press fit to be exact. With this tight fit there is no need for clamps or set screws. However, due to variances, each tube may be .002-.005 different in size than the next, hence the reason this cap is machined the .010-.012 smaller. With that said, custom fitting may be needed to achieve the desired fit. Custom fitting can be achieved by lightly sanding the sound tube protrusion lip. This cap is designed to be fitted by hand with no tools required. Just a super strong wrist and hand to insure a tight, press fit.

I have posted a photo here in the How To forum under Sound Tube Delete. There seems to be many interested in purchasing this cap. I have made additional caps and can now offer them here for sale to BMO members. Each cap comes complete with detailed install instructions. I know, pretty easy, but I want all to be aware how easy it is to sand the sound tube protrusion to small making a sloppy fit. This is not what is wanted. Again, cap is meant to fit extremely tight. Many will not need to sand the lip at all. I also include a piece of 120 grit paper if indeed sanding is needed. For those that track there Boss regularly, I also recommend installing cap with a good coat of a reputable epoxy glue found a most hardware stores. Once cap is installed, it should not be removed, nor should it be able to be removed. This sound tube protrusion boss appears to be sonic welded to the intake tube, and breakage may occur if cap is removed.

If you are interested in purchasing this cap, price is $23.00 and this includes shipping via USPS to your address of choice.

Interested parties may contact me via email at [email protected] for payment instructions. I prefer Pay-Pal. I will respond to all emails, and once payment is received, I will ship cap out the very next day.

Thank you to all for the interest.
DSC_0003-16_zps2e5802d5.jpg

Rick, thank you for the kind words, it is appreciated.

Justin, that depends on how good you can measure. A good dial caliper would be the way to take your measurements...do you have access to one? Custom pieces can get expensive, so there is another factor. Shoot me a PM and we could discuss if you would like to continue.

9Cobra7 said:
Put mine on tonight. Fit great and looks even better! Thanks Mark!
You are very welcome, and thank you again!
reakhavok said:
Mark,
I got mine in Friday and just put it on. Looks excellant!! very nice work.
Thank you!!
Gregg
Same to you Gregg, very happy that you are happy. Thank you again!

I just wanted to say how nice the product is and how great it was to buy from you, Mark! Beautifully made, easy to install, and it looks superb. Thank you!

John

Champale said:
I just wanted to say how nice the product is and how great it was to buy from you, Mark! Beautifully made, easy to install, and it looks superb. Thank you!

John
John,

Thank you for the kind words...they are much appreciated!

TMSBOSS said:
Mark

Will you be at Blackhawk on the 12th?

Tracy
Tracy,

I cannot guarantee I will be there. Leaving tomorrow for Carlisle, PA, and making a long trip of it. I am due back at work Tuesday of next week. I did sign up for the track day on the 12th, but will have to play it by ear. I will have to re-schedule if I a cannot get the day off. Will be real tough taking another day off as we are swamped here at the shop.

If you need anything Tracy, shoot me a PM or email. I literally work 5 minutes away from the track.

Mark me down as another happy purchaser of the cap. It went on easy and looks good.

I only wish the firewall plug that came with the Cooltech kit was made this well and didnt fall off making me think I had an exhaust leak! Oh well one Dorman master cylinder cap later and the car sounds normal again.

jec246

Very happy with my purchase! Took all of 2 minutes to put on. Packaged with instructions and a small strip of sand paper for installation. It's the little things that can make a good product great. Thanks!

Thank you guys for the kind words, it is very appreciated.

Very happy that everyone so far has been impressed and happy with their purchase.

Now, can I interest anyone in a quick release fire extinguisher mount? LOL. Not as popular as I thought they would be, so we have a few left if interested.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel