The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Starter motor solenoid is dead. Upgrade time??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My starter solenoid died the day before a race, thanks to a F150 in the local shop a bit of scavenging saved the day....but now I have to give it back!! Seems fair LOL!

Can't find the part number for just the solenoid. Is the starter only sold as one piece??

Was wondering if it would be a good time to get a Ford racing or other Hi perf. starter. Being lighter and smaller makes those dam tranny swaps easier! Do you think they are worth twice the stock starter price?? tasca has part stock BR3Z-11002-B for $122.

The ford racing starter is $246 or so.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sounds like everyone is killing their starters (via long tube header heat) this weekend. We had two casualties at the track this weekend.
No experience w/ the mini-starter.

Make sure to put a heat-reflective wrap on whatever you install. There are some "cut-to-fit" kits on Summit. Also I applied heat reflective foil to the body of the starter itself.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
hmm,,, stock starter is more then 120 bucks less the the Ford racing unit..... and weighs 1.5 pounds less.... Thats like 80 bucks a pound....

Maybe it will be stock with a heat shield then

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
That's hard to beat for $27.

I've always just used a piece of sheet alum and a big hose clamp. Cut some slots and bend it so that there is an air gap around most of the starter. That has always been enough to block some or most of the radiant heat such that I haven't had starter problems.

TMO Supporting Vendors