The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V What is this panel/box in the engine bay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I am checking out early S197 Mustangs and I came across this 2008 GT that had this panel/box in the engine bay. I didn't see it on other GTs that I saw. Does anyone have an idea of what it is?

Ford Mustang.PNG

Hmm, not sure that’s accurate. I think the fan relays are in the fuse box for all years. Common modification is to bypass the factory relays and install external fan relays. The stock relays, contacts, wiring, and fan connector are known failure points for the S197 and the circuit is often bypassed with an external circuit. I did this in my car.

I have a 2008 Mustang GT and my car doesn't have anything there. There are two spots in that location where you can attach something, but nothing was there.

I did use that location to mount the relay for the water pump that I installed with the DOB supercharger.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Hmm, not sure that’s accurate. I think the fan relays are in the fuse box for all years. Common modification is to bypass the factory relays and install external fan relays. The stock relays, contacts, wiring, and fan connector are known failure points for the S197 and the circuit is often bypassed with an external circuit. I did this in my car.

By 2 spots, I assume you mean two holes? Sort of like what is seen/shown here? Its interesting that some cars I am looking at have something there and some do not.

Engine Bay.PNG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
It's weird to see some GTs have these holes and some don't. I wonder if it was a common dealer add-on of some sort that the holes ended up in the same places in the cars that do have the holes. I guess I won't worry too much if there are holes and no equipment present when I make my purchase.

It's weird to see some GTs have these holes and some don't. I wonder if it was a common dealer add-on of some sort that the holes ended up in the same places in the cars that do have the holes. I guess I won't worry too much if there are holes and no equipment present when I make my purchase.
You'll definately want to investigate the fuse box and consider the cooling mods, not just the electrical one.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel