The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sunoco 110 OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This may sound like a crazy question....
Got excited when I was made aware of a somewhat local Sunoco station that sells 110 unleaded at the pump ($10/gal).
I took a ride over for a tank of the good stuff but was surprised to find the nozzle would not fit the filler neck.
I considered using the funnel/fill adapter but first want to know if there is any reason it should not be used in the Boss?

Are you sure it's unleaded? If it didn't fit it's probably because it has lead in it. Total waste of money but hey who am I to complain about wasting money. ;D Maybe a splash of 100 for track days but even that is probably a waste.

There is a sunoco station by me that has unleaded 100,the only thing I got out of it was orange spark plugs....lol

Legal and or leaded? Good questions - I'll have to look into both.
I don't plan to run it on any regular basis but figured an occasional blend of 50/50 with 93 would keep the ping demons at bay.
Even if it's only a placebo affect power wise, you can't beat the smell of race fuel exhaust!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sunoco 110 is leaded fuel. Do not use as it will cause all kinds of problems, starting with destroying your catalytic converters. The nozzle is oversize so you can't put it into an unleaded only vehicle. Use Sunoco or CAM2 100 octane unleaded for track mixed 50/50 with 91 or 93, get you about 96 octane which is enough for a safety factor on track.
Steve

The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to burn. That's why it is used in higher compression engines. If you don't have the compression to burn it, it is really a waste. If you have pinging now though, higher octane will help, but 110 is probably overkill.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I think the Boss will definitely run better with a higher octane fuel. In fact I know it will. Had mine on the dyno, stock engine ,stock cold air and stock exhaust. We were seeing about 388 rwhp and had made several runs using the silver and the red key. We were getting some pinging with the track key so we decided to add some octane booster. Brad with Brads custom auto was in charge, he has vast experience on his dyno and has used this product with great results,
http://www.torcousa.com/torco_product/un_acce.html
We put a bottle in and did another run, power jumped to 398.25rwhp and this is with a heat soaked engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwkRSJoZblM&feature=player_detailpage
This was with the track key, it learns and adjusts timing to take advantage of the fuel according to Brad. I agree and my butt dyno agrees, on track the car really jumps when you go to 5th gear.
So stock engine and a $20 bottle of this for track days and you get 10 rwhp boost.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
06mach1 said:
The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to burn. That's why it is used in higher compression engines. If you don't have the compression to burn it, it is really a waste. If you have pinging now though, higher octane will help, but 110 is probably overkill.

+1. And I would totally stay away from any Octane booster additive unless you have a true dislike for your valve seats 8) AS my former two Mustang 5.0's from the 80's.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
PeteInCT said:
+1. And I would totally stay away from any Octane booster additive unless you have a true dislike for your valve seats 8) AS my former two Mustang 5.0's from the 80's.
this may be true for the cheap raise your composition .2 octane. Torco I have had zero problems with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin said:
I run torco all the time buy them a case at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember you were running E85 for a while. Are you happier with the Torco? I typically put 5 gallons of 100 in at the track for insurance.

On another note, years ago I tried an octane booster that turned my spark plugs orange. It made it impossible to read the plugs. It's a moot point now because I never read the plugs on this car since it is N/A. I'm just curious if you can read the plugs with Torco.

TMO Supporting Vendors