The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Team Old Goats Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Built the diffusers for the splitter.
Bad news is that the coilovers which were to ship last week are still a unknown, vendor isn’t responding. So I’m going to miss the sept 3 race.
Only exciter wire to alternator and disable steering wheel lock left inside.
Rear diffuser, backing plates for brake ducts and side splitters left for fab.
Should have the plywood splitter in a layer of resin this weekend. I need to fiddle with the mounts as the bumper\splitter come off pretty easy, but its binding a bit on install.
Got the k-link and should get that installed this weekend now that I have the measurements for install from Kenny brown.
If my friend can fit me in, dyno time next week!

6A5EC810-D2AB-4E4E-834B-362952DD8BD1.jpeg

Last edited:
My list is getting small. However still no eta on coilovers to go with the k-link.
I had to drop my fuel tank to get the old u-link out, after dropping the axle and still couldn’t get it out. I need to go get a larger bolt to fit the Kenny brown upgrade. Splitter is done after I grab a little more hardware today. Ducting the rad is the next step.

672F8998-4D48-4191-9FB1-29E1CF36874B.jpeg

2ADF7BAE-DA93-45A2-9D99-A14D75C72C43.jpeg

FA72824C-3AA3-488D-ACC6-B726CEECECFE.jpeg

Last edited:
K-link is in. The camber plates don’t fit the struts. Waiting on Kenny Brown to sort that out. Missed getting the car to track this year.
front struts, front calipers, and replace a leaky rear caliper, brake lines, corner balance ( and center and set k-link and ride height) and I’m ready for the track. Still a little work to do on rad ducting.

83452440-B980-4FF0-813E-4DB3842F10A7.jpeg

3A82551B-69B5-46CA-B89F-805D5BCC7939.jpeg

Last edited:
So first test session tomorrow. Will have to bed in the pads\rotors at this event .
I was surprised when I did the alignment and corner balance today. Car came in at 3590lb with about 1/3 fuel. I weigh 190ish. So 3400 with no driver, that is heavier than I was hoping for.
The 18*11 wheels are giving me lots of grief. I have now taken the paint off the inside wheel lip from rubbing on the coil overs. The old coil overs where 85mm diameter the new ones are larger. So I had to get a 5/16 rear spacer. I need to replace that spacer with a better quality huncentric one. Amd for the front with the one inch spacer I picked up a strut camber bolt today as I need to decamber at the spindle a little to get clearance as the rubber is pretty much touching the coil.

I didnt fight to do a really good corner balance today. I want to drive the car in a test session, get all the bushings to selttle in, etc.

Starting with -2.2 camber. 9.5 castor. 1/4 toe. crossweight is 49.4 for now. My ride height is a little heigher than I wanted but I needed to get the coil above the wheel lip for clearance. So front fenders are about 27"

I have to duct the front bumper to the rad, build a brake deflector plate for brake cooling that will bolt to the kenny brown control arms, finish installing the race capture pro datalogger, finish the body work on the bumper, plumb the fire system. Thats getting pretty close to being done :). Im going to hire a decal shop to help me put the long graphics on the sides, I am used to putting decals on flat surfaces but there are enough curves on the rear quarter that I might want a pro to help me not screw it up.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What nose is that?

Bought a aftermarket nose from andys autosport, mine was all torn up. Dont recall the brand, it seemed right at the time....I glassed in the brake ducts. But I wont be running hose. The ducts will point at a deflector plate on the control arm and the diffusers in the front splitter will also aim air at the deflectors. Thats the plan anyways.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Bought a aftermarket nose from andys autosport, mine was all torn up. Dont recall the brand, it seemed right at the time....I glassed in the brake ducts. But I wont be running hose. The ducts will point at a deflector plate on the control arm and the diffusers in the front splitter will also aim air at the deflectors. Thats the plan anyways.
It's pretty swoopy.....I haven't seen that one before.

Now that I worked the bumper to fit flush against the fender I lost my 1 degree rake in the splitter. I have spent way way too much time on fitting and making the bumper removable. I have given up hope of bodyworking and painting the bumper this year, need to focus on getting to the track. The other work to do is the rear diffuser. The metal bumper ( and plastic ) have been clearanced for a taller diffuser to be built. This winter is remove the spare tire spot and build the diffuser.

I dropped a manual pcm in on the weekend and the key worked so its running. Back to the dyno this week to tune the car a second time. I know why the auto pcm isnt working but the three dealers I called wont touch it and I dont have anyone with the hardware\software to make the changes.

I will be adding something like a canard to the bumper, but it wil be vertical mounted on the vertical piece on the bumper sides. Since its ramped upwards I think it will make a difference if I hold the air on the ramped upwards part of the aftermarket bumper.

20230715_142817.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors