The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Art and Science of Attacking the Turns and Esses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay. How many times have you been in a HPDE or TT event where you see very capable performance cars driven poorly in the turns and esses lap after lap with drivers preferring circuit layouts that provide long straightaways vs. more technical turns, esses, elevation changes, and on/off camber turns, etc.? How many times have you been told as a Mustang driver that the Porsche, Corvette, BMW and other cars are simply "superior" to Mustangs in those more technical sections of the road course and performance driving environments? Honestly... I think its mostly BS. So, let's have a discussion on the Art and Science of driving our Mustangs through the Turns and Esses!

What are some of the basic building blocks that we may want to keep in mind to improve performance? Reduce the number of turns and movements of the steering wheel; reduce the number of shifts and when to shift, if needed (depending on gearing); get into the throttle sooner and opening the steering wheel sooner; and compress the brake zones while working on your eyes thru the turn.

(1) Find the right line through a corner that eliminates or reduces corrections. You want to hold the steering and drive to the edge of the cars suspension and tire performance. The key is to be smooth in all your driver inputs while using all the track to navigate through multiple corners so as not to upset overall suspension performance. Poorly managed shifting of weight rearward and forward impacts turning performance.

(2) Reducing shifts by using the next gear up to navigate through the corner helps reduce the destabilizing effect of torque while eliminating the subsequent upshift. Take the time to measure your exit speed vs. a "seat of the pants" feel. Quantify the changes you make in your techniques. This provides you an opportunity for your potential speed to be higher through the turn and its exit.

(3) Get the braking done quickly (don't ride your brakes into the brake zone...) you're either on the brake or gas. Once braking is done initiate steering and finish the turn; opening the wheel as you pass across the apex. Trail braking should be followed by throttle application - not coasting. Rotate the car as necessary. Throttle steering is a method to help rotate the car for the turn.

braking-comparison.gif

(4) Compressing the brake zones requires knowing the braking capabilities of your car and its threshold point. The goal is to slow down just enough to enter the cornering line for that turn using trail braking or brake early. Make adjustments in small increments as you transition from the brake point to turn-in. Practice releasing brake while applying throttle in proportion to turn-in.

177-Projects-MX5-0056-MiataCorner.jpg

(5) After the braking and turn-in is done and car rotated, work on opening the steering sooner while applying throttle in proportion to the opening wheel position. Consider three factors: lateral force generated; lateral force/adhesion (traction) limit; and time. Work on using your eyes for improved situational awareness to predict future actions and plan to manage and achieve goals.

racing-line.png

NOTES:

(a) Being smooth means NOT jerking the steering wheel, slamming the brakes, or stabbing the throttle. These driver inputs and transition from one to the other requires practice to develop a 'feel' for what the car is doing on the track while entering, driving through, and exiting the turn.

(b) An increasing radius turn means that it is not as sharp as the last part of the turn. Therefore, the apex is earlier. A decreasing radius turn means that it is sharper at the last part of the turn. Therefore, the apex is later. The speed and weight of the car also play into a early or late apex.

Turn-Types.jpg

(c) Study the course diagrams in detail to derive a plan for how best to attack the turn or esses; creating your "line" around the road course. Remember, use ALL of the track. Hitting the apex means that you are less than 1 foot from the inside of the turn. More than a foot.. you missed it.

(d) New to a track? A late apex may be safer, but will slow you down while driving too early of an apex could put you off the track. Consistently hitting the apex will allow you to carry optimal speed. I prefer to do my braking in a straight line prior to entering the corner: smooth transition.

(e) Experiment with braking later into the corners; perhaps in 5 to 10 foot increments at a distance you feel comfortable with. Try to not make a large adjustment all at once. Like making too many mods to your car at once. Understand what small changes make so you can adjust as needed.

(f) You should be looking through the corner before you enter the braking zone. You can never look far enough ahead. You drive where you look. Look at the apex before turning in, and look for the track out before the apex. Don't focus on the apex and track out or you may drive off track.

upload_2017-11-30_12-53-42.png

(g) Recommend spending time on a skid pad with an instructor. Great opportunity to learn about throttle steering and car control that can be applied in the turns. Good to exercise the eyes, hands and foot coordination required to perform these maneuvers smoothly to achieve the desired results of maximizing speed through the turns.

(h) Practice.... Practice.... Practice..... There is really no other way to develop the "seat of the pants" feel for the car in order to master these techniques in a practical sense - taking theory and applying it to the track. Some people have it, some don't. HPDE 1/2, don't be in a rush to go from street tires to slicks - listen to your tires, they are talking to you.

(i) Finally. Learning these techniques will save you lots of money before buying anti-sway bars, springs, shocks/struts, corner weighting, alignments, aero and other parts. Like being a golf hack with no lessons.... buying golf clubs with no clue about shaft height, flex, grip size, ball types, and which club to choose for a shot. You'll be able to determine what your car needs based on the feedback it provides you.

Mastering the turns and esses is what this sport is all about (for me). You don't want to be a simple straightaway monkey that relies solely on the performance of the car; having no clue what is happening through the turns and esses. There are a lot of Corvette and Porsche drivers (and Mustang drivers) that don't practice these fundamentals, or understand the science (physics) involved in driving these aspects of a performance driving environment. Passing them on a straightaway..... boring. Passing them in the turns and esses; beating them at their own game. Now we're talking! I recommend making this part of your list of driver education goals each time you go onto the track. This is a sport of inches carried out over the course of miles. Just some thoughts. I'll see if I can post some supporting images.

I know there are several racers on this forum with a lot more experience than me that can chime in and expand upon this. Mastering turns/esses is like the "short game" in golf. Drive for show... Putt for dough!

Last edited:
Based on your own experiences.... what were your top 2 or 3 growth areas to improve your speed through the esses and turns, and what did you do to overcome those lessons learned?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I would say your points 2 and 3 applied to me the most.

Using third gear, instead of second, helped through the corners and lead to higher speeds at the end of the straights after the respective corners. lowering lap times (and not spinning out....as often LoL).

Braking late and being on the throttle sooner definitely brought down lap times. Being either on the throttle or the brake but not coasting takes time and getting used to your brakes and the knowing the track. Race brake pads and the confidence they give was key for me to make the car competitive against higher HP cars.

I guess it goes without saying that track time is the best improvement tool. Lots and Lots of track time and listening to better drivers advice with an open mind. Drivers tend to have large egos....and egos tend to lead to expensive repairs or worse.

When instructing advanced students I always teach that if you find the apex early and aim for 4 wheels off to the inside of it you tend to pick up the throttle earlier. Using the gas to push you out just clipping it ending up fully on the gas well before apex with the car in the proper attitude off the corner. If you have ever autocrossed you will get what I mean more than anyone.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think one of the biggest leaps was learning to 'tie' the motion of the steering wheel with the motion of the brake and gas pedals. Trail braking and exit throttle can be all tied together in relatively fluid motion.

Sadly, learning #2 is still a tough lesson. Driving in the 'right' gear is rewarding, but only when it comes with better times. I often test a gear up and see if I gain anything by losing the pair of shifts.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
We all start learning in "digital mode"... robotic... identifying appropriate near-field reference points and related control inputs. Things happen fast as we try to process lots of new inputs.

Seat time permits us to move our ref points into the far field... anticipate and plan better as our brains process faster. As a result, our control inputs become more premeditated (instead of being reactive)... we progress into "analog mode"... smoother and earlier control inputs with predictable outcomes.

Smooth = consistent = quick.

I agree. Checking ego at the door before getting into your car is a key component to place your brain into an open frame of mind to receive instructions and feedback from more advanced drivers, and not letting the faster car in front of you "get in your head" - drive your own line, not his/hers. Look through the car in front of you to see the apex and your line. Being self-aware and knowing your growth areas accelerates learning.

I think mastering threshold braking and throttle steering as you apply gas through the apex while tracking out and opening the steering wheel; tying together the motions of brake, gas and steering in a fluid motion while listening to your tires is one of the most satisfying feedback you get as a driver. You're "dancing with the car" - a smooth rhythm where you feel like you're going slower but actually driving faster because you're anticipating with the correct driver input. Lots of seat time!

Great analogy: digital vs. analog data collection, processing and driver reaction regarding the drivers approach to, transition thru, and exit of the turns and esses that many of us saw first hand as we progressed from HPDE 1 to 4+. Taking a series of steps and combining them into a set of smooth actions that allows you to move and keep your eyes up; scanning through and ahead of your car to become smooth, consistent and ultimately quick through the turns and esses.

Analog-vs-Digital.png

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This can be a very exhausting (and exhaustive) topic, and there is no "one right place" for any specific driver to start.

I echo the comments about driving "in the right gear" or "a gear up"--this reduces time spent shifting, and in most cases will FORCE you to try to carry more corner speed in order to keep the car in a usable torque/horsepower range for exit.

What I usually do with students is try to focus on one thing each session of the day.
Don't worry about the remainder of the skillset for that session (aside from what is needed to get everyone safely back to the paddock). Then build on that knowledge with each subsequent session. This could be focusing on braking technique, where and when to place ones eyes (probably one of the MOST important things!!!), or how to handle a certain corner or sequence of corners.

This is a subject too broad and deep to be handled at once, IMO. It needs to be broken down into digestable "chunks" and administered via liberal application of seat time.
If the student is BRAND NEW or still very new, the first thing is just to keep them from going into sensory overload--just get them to survive and get comfortable. Once they have achieved some comfort, start peppering in areas to focus on.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also please do not take my post above the wrong way--this is a GREAT thread and should foster excellent discussion between our drivers here of all levels. Thank you for starting it, @Gray Ghost GT and I'm glad you made it over here to TMO.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I agree with that sentiment! I think it was a perfect follow-up to ask about the top 2 or 3 growth areas. It seems many of us have different answers. The first post is a lot like the huge mass of info that you get the first time(s) you go to race school. But it's nice to see the individual skills where others picked up more speed.

I can tell you that one thing that helps a whole lot in learning the carrying of speed through turns (at least in my case) is go-karts. If you are in a TAG Kart (non-shifter) you have to carry speed or it destroys all momentum. While I do get to shift and driving my car is quite different, the fundamentals are the same. Also, my car has changed so much since my first track day last May, I have to keep relearning it. But overall, smoothness is the key IMHO. This is so true of racing motorcycles that it translated to cars for me.

I learned a lot before I built my car by going to the local karting club in Fontana and running races there.

Having said that, the biggest point I think i have to agree with is looking far ahead and exaggerating where I intend the car to go. I like the idea of aiming 4 off inside the apex and then throttling the car to the edge of the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel