The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

thinking of entering a 3 hour W2W event...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I probably do not have enough time to get my car ready (or my physical condition), but I was wondering if a set of new R7's would last a three hour race?? Never entered a wheel to wheel race before so am a little apprehensive..... Maybe better off on street tires or semis??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Generally I can get 320-400 mins out of a set of R7s, but that is with rotating them frequently and flipping them each weekend.

I think they will last but whichever tire takes the most load will be corded by the time you are done, for sure. You might be able to get away with changing just that tire to complete the race, during one of your fuel stops.

More importantly--do you have all the requisite safety equipment such as cage, fire system, seats, belts, driver gear? If not, just forget it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I got my hans, race suit/gloves/boots, 6pt roll bar, harness etc (still lacks the halo bar though). Looking at fire system but I always take a big manual extinguisher. I probably will not be ready in time, the hardest part is getting the second required driver. Its kinda of a personal thing to share!

If not might just push it back to next season. At least it gives me a goal to head too.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Don't rush it. Especially on the safety aspect--but start putting a plan together to get all of that stuff paid for and installed so you are ready in the future!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If the repairs go well I'll see how four 15min sessions go on Oct 14. Its a gentleman series (read...old farts). Contact is frowned upon (they ask you to leave)...... Does not fill me with overwhelming confidence, but some of the cars are classics so banging them up will be $$$.

The other w2w series down here are with cheap Japanese cars and look a bit like crash derbies!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am taking the slow and easy approach.... (partially because I just fixed the car after crashing..... ). Am getting the Roll bar extend over the front and was wondering what are some good suggestions for Fire suppression etc. I have seen the automatic systems in crashes and Nurburgring, is a auto system recommended??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Depends what you mean by "automatic".
What I would recommend would be a permanently-mounted AFFF or foam system that is activated by a pull-handle from inside (and possibly outside) the vehicle. These systems come with piping and multiple nozzles to position in the cabin and engine bay. These typically range $4-600 USD.
This is to buy you time to GET OUT of the vehicle, it won't necessarily prevent it from burning to the ground after you have exited.

A hand-held fire extinguisher is a good idea but it is a secondary measure, IMO. Can be helpful (if you can get to it without burning yourself) once you have exited the vehicle, if emergency crews have not yet arrived.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Will do, looking as fire systems now. First race of the season is in March so I have some time o_O.... they are still drawing up the new rules.... So far I heard its full FIA safety gear, RWD, preferably V8 ...and a roof....... Not very specific...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Starting a fire to stop a fire. Sounds a bit counter intuitive. The video shows the operator having to be right on top of the fire. Lots hope the fire is a small one.
This would only be to buy some time while the emergency crews arrive.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel