The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tire/Suspension Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One of my replay cameras monitors the rear suspension & side exhaust burnoff. I'm hoping I can use footage like this to get an understanding of how the suspension reacts to different damping settings.
Not sure how useful it will be, but gonna study it some anyway.

NOTE: There is no sound. Too much buffeting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3vW9hZeTlU[/youtube]

Yeah, it looks like its bulging out from the fender but (at rest) it's not.

It's interesting to see how the rear sway allows the axle to shift left/right. I suppose if I changed the sway setting, I'd notice a difference.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
...but its better use is for "guess that track" game!

i think i have it, but i want to see if anyone else comes up with the same answer!

Grant 302 said:
Looks like you're rolling way up on your sidewalls. What pressure are you running? What tires are those?

Yeah, I noticed that too. They are Hoosier R6's and I had them at 30 cold, 39-40 hot per Hoosier's suggestion (after two sessions). Max PSI is 44 on this tire.

I was pulling 1.08 G's and got the bigger sidewall for increased grip and it seemed to work. The sidewalls on this tire are VERY strong.

I got loose on my Hankook RS3's at .98 G's.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
temps are spot on, if not a bit high. I found they got greasy at 40-41, so I try to run no higher than 38-39psi hot. they look fine to me. the hoosiers do use the radius at the tread-to-sidewall area. the radius area wear can be exaggerated if the tire is too narrow for the wheel. aren't you running 295's on 18x10? if so, you have the right size tire.

pufferfish said:
temps are spot on, if not a bit high. I found they got greasy at 40-41, so I try to run no higher than 38-39psi hot. they look fine to me. the hoosiers do use the radius at the tread-to-sidewall area. the radius area wear can be exaggerated if the tire is too narrow for the wheel. aren't you running 295's on 18x10? if so, you have the right size tire.

Yep. 295's.

Sadly, Hoosier discontinued the 40/18's in this size :'( and now there is only 30/18's which is too small of a sidewall for the weight of this car and rear roll center, in my opinion. 30 sidewalls are for smaller, lighter cars in my opinion.

TMO Supporting Vendors