The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tires? Anyone got a good online site?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I just purchased the forgestar CF5's 18x9.5 & 18x11. I'm looking for some track day rubber. The reviews of the NT01's or something comparable would be great. Anyone have any good websites or a place in NY that has good prices? Thanks for any help

Tire rack? ;)

Gary and Pete are running the Nitto NT 555 II's in 285/35/18 and 305/35/18 with good results. I just picked up some 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 Enkei PF01's and will start with Hankook R-S3's in 265/40/18 and 285/35/18 because I'm driving to and from the track.

BTW I'm glad to see you got what I think is the ideal wheel width for our cars running a staggered setup and 305's or larger on the rear.

I go to America's Tire and to Wheelworks in person, ask about the same tire, then call them and have them bid against each other until one of them tells me just buy it at the other place. I've had good luck with it, getting tires cheaper than I can find them online. Saved a bundle on my mom's tires for her X5 last month.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ufnavy06 said:
I guess that changed because I definitely got Nittos from Tirerack on my '06. Oh well.

Interesting, currently they carry Toyo (who owns Nitto) but not Nitto specifically. All my previous tires came from TireRack but I went to Discount Tire Direct when I found they did not carry them. The last time I spoke to them (when I ordered the PF-01 wheels) was that they were working on carrying them since they already had Toyo...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire-brand.jsp

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Yeah I couldn't tell you what happened but I got 555r's on my '06. Best tire I've ever owned from value for the $$. Once the stock tires go, I'll probably look into replacing them with Nittos.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ufnavy06 said:
Yeah I couldn't tell you what happened but I got 555r's on my '06. Best tire I've ever owned from value for the $$. Once the stock tires go, I'll probably look into replacing them with Nittos.

I'm very happy with them - not as sticky as an Hoosier R6 but they last at least twice as long. And you can run them down to the cord without them turning rock hard like the R6's.

NFSBOSS said:
Jason what size NT01's are you planning on using?

http://www.nittotire.com/tire/nt01#size
Rick,
NT01
275/35 18
315/30 18
My local tire shop gave me quotes of $285 F $339 R includes mounting and balancing.
I think that's the best price I have found so far. I was looking into the RS3's but all the compares I have read say the nitto's are better.

PeteInCT said:
I'm very happy with them - not as sticky as an Hoosier R6 but they last at least twice as long. And you can run them down to the cord without them turning rock hard like the R6's.

Pete,
Have you tried the NT01's and how do they compare to the 555's?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Jza1736 said:
Pete,
Have you tried the NT01's and how do they compare to the 555's?

No, but the 555R-II's (not the regular 555's) are supposedly the NT-01's with a stronger sidewall for heavier vehicles like the Boss. The tread is different but I think (?) the compound formulation is the same as the NT-01.

I sent them an email to get there insight on which tire is better for our cars. I'll post up there response when I get it.

I'll have to get a quote from my tire shop for the 555R II's

TMO Supporting Vendors