The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Torque screw in wheel stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
Finally getting parts put on my car and a couple things I haven't done before. I have Baer hubs with screw in 1/2 - 20 ARP 3in wheel studs. I have no idea how to torque down the studs to 100lbs. Meaning I can't secure them enough to get them torqued. Tried securing with a vise but don't want to marr them up and they still move if I use wood blocks to secure.

Anyway. I was thinking I can and putting them on the car and torque them when a wheel is on and on the ground to keep the wheel from spinning. Just have 4 nuts on, torque the one without and rotate. But I don''t know if I'll have good access from behind. How are guys torquing them?

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I'm thinking you could make a jig for this. Square plate with holes for all stud and hole for raised center of the axle. Plate clamped in vise, use all but one stud to bolt axle to plate. Torque that stud, then put a nut on the stud you torqued and do the next stud. You could probably make the jig out of a couple of layers of 3/4 plywood or 1/4" steel, what ever you have laying around. I would probably oversize the hole that stud I'm torqueing is in and then rotate the axle for each stud, a little more work but I get a little OCD with my projects.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
I'm thinking you could make a jig for this. Square plate with holes for all stud and hole for raised center of the axle. Plate clamped in vise, use all but one stud to bolt axle to plate. Torque that stud, then put a nut on the stud you torqued and do the next stud. You could probably make the jig out of a couple of layers of 3/4 plywood or 1/4" steel, what ever you have laying around. I would probably oversize the hole that stud I'm torqueing is in and then rotate the axle for each stud, a little more work but I get a little OCD with my projects.

I'll draw that out see if I can make that work. I'll probably use the 3/4 ply because the wood won't marr the threads like steel. I'm usually good at figuring these things out but this one is stumping me. As if I'm the first to ever have screw in studs. If I make something this weekend I'll post it.

Thanks

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah

It's not pretty but it worked really good. I put a piece of sheetmetal in there as well. And I rotated each stud to the bigger hole. I'll do up a better one later but this is all the wood I had around. Thanks for the idea.

20220108_103504.jpg

20220108_102153.jpg

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
It's not pretty but it worked really good. I put a piece of sheetmetal in there as well. And I rotated each stud to the bigger hole. I'll do up a better one later but this is all the wood I had around. Thanks for the idea.
Excellent!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
red loctite?

Not right now. I'll go back and do it after I get everything on and drive it for a while in case I need to take stuff off. I won't be doing any hard at first. Plus I may switch over to the 5x4.75 pattern depending on what I do for my full floater. One I'm looking at uses the C7 Vette rear hubs. So I would want wheel patterns to match.

TMO Supporting Vendors