The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Towing A10 on a Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Canada
Does anyone tow their A10 (auto transmission) on a trailer to and from track events? I am busy purchasing a trailer but have a 22 Mach1 A10. I was wondering if it was okay to leave the vehicle in "Park" once it has been tied down. If I understand correctly, the manual says in the event of a breakdown for towing, to remove the gear shift panel and hit a switch to put it in 'neutral'. But this seems overkill every time one has to load your car onto a trailer when visiting the tracks frequently. I also doubt that they do this when transporting automatics on the car haulers. The local Ford dealerships are not much help in this information.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Does anyone tow their A10 (auto transmission) on a trailer to and from track events? I am busy purchasing a trailer but have a 22 Mach1 A10. I was wondering if it was okay to leave the vehicle in "Park" once it has been tied down. If I understand correctly, the manual says in the event of a breakdown for towing, to remove the gear shift panel and hit a switch to put it in 'neutral'. But this seems overkill every time one has to load your car onto a trailer when visiting the tracks frequently. I also doubt that they do this when transporting automatics on the car haulers. The local Ford dealerships are not much help in this information.
Even though I have a manual, I haul any car, including autos, in neutral and no parking brake.

I found this stuff a while back. I'm DCT with a 21 GT500, which claims "tire mount" (for Mach 1, but that is as close as they get
to a GT500), but I just went 4 hour round trip to Pocono and back last week, using hooks/straps in the factory frame tow point holes. My trailer is 26 foot, so
my angle is very shallow (especially with CFTP car).

GT500%20TOWING.jpg

I did also find the 350 (in 17MY guide), but being man trans, probably has nothing to do with either of our cars.

Last edited:
I glue it down, in gear (or park), and at least 4 straps, and wheel chocks. In most automatics, there is a " parking pawl" that keeps the car from moving. When you slam the rental car in park at about 30mph you can hear this trying to engage, it's the rapid click..click..click ( or so I've been told). Since the trans I've built are of the C4, C6, Turbo 350 and 400 series, I'm sure they are similar, but you should check.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Mine is probably different than y’all’s…I strap it down by the suspension…crossed…in neutral. Then I put it in a gear…usually first or second, whichever it wants to go into easiest.

Mine is probably different than y’all’s…I strap it down by the suspension…crossed…in neutral. Then I put it in a gear…usually first or second, whichever it wants to go into easiest.
The reason for strapping down the suspension is that it allows the body freedom of movement, and argument could possibly be made that tying down the body and binding the suspension, the shocks n springs could be damaged.
..especially in roads around Michigan..

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
When I was trailering my '16 I used the factory shipping point holes. I bought tie down straps that had the correct hooks to go into the slots that Ford puts there to ensure the car would not get damaged in shipment from the factory.
I figure if that is the way Ford does it, then it's probably the right way. The tie down straps were rated at 10,000 lbs, each.

Ford has a shipping guide for their cars, I posted it in this thread.

When I was trailering my '16 I used the factory shipping point holes. I bought tie down straps that had the correct hooks to go into the slots that Ford puts there to ensure the car would not get damaged in shipment from the factory.
I figure if that is the way Ford does it, then it's probably the right way. The tie down straps were rated at 10,000 lbs, each.

Ford has a shipping guide for their cars, I posted it in this thread.

Somehow, they pounded holes into the floor of my trailer. The extra hold downs somehow beat the floor to where the extra hardware actually went through the floor. I'm completely baffled how this happened as I checked the load several times and the straps were all tight.

20240615_143822.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors