The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TrackCar Setup based on 2013 GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I just bought a damaged 2013 GT with a friend of mine to build a race car out of it without licence plate and I am looking for helpful input from you guys here. We do not plan to participate at any competition, but we have fun driving a decent car at the track and also at some drift events. The clear priority is track, drifting is always possible even with a race car, although it is obviously not as easy as with a pure drift car.

What do you think about the following BMR parts? I have so far good experience with BMR:
KM020 - K-member, Lowered Motor Mounts, Standard Rack Mounts
TCA020 - Lower Control Arms, DOM, Double Adjustable, Rod Ends
UTCA033 - Upper Control Arm, DOM, On-car Adjustable, Spherical Bearing
UCM002 - Upper Control Arm Mount
MM006 - Motor Mount Solid Bushing Upgrade Kit
CB004 - Chassis Brace, Radiator Support
RS003 - Radiator Support With Sway Bar Mount
STB011 - Strut Tower Brace, V-8 W/ Plenum Cover
SFC011 - Subframe Connectors, Weld-on, Boxed
BAX105 - QA1 Bump Steer Kit
AA026 - A-arms, Lower, Adjustable, Delrin Bushings/Rod Ends, 19mm Tall Ball Joint
MPHR012 - Panhard Rod, Chrome Moly, Double Adjustable, Rod Ends
SB022 - Sway Bar Kit, Front, Hollow 35mm, 3-hole Adjustable
SB023 - Sway Bar Kit W/ Bushings And Billet Links, Rear, Solid 22mm
Is not BMR but is in the same area: 2005-2014 MUSTANG LIGHTWEIGHT TUBULAR FRONT BUMPER

A part of the above list in the first stage we want to leave the engine as it is and we plan to do the following (the numbers are not an order):
1. Taking out everything that is not required, including AC
2. Adding the BOSS 302R differential to the axle
3. Replacing the OEM driveshaft with the DSS carbon drive shaft
4. Adding good race seats and steering wheel
5. Full cage, welded to all domes
6. GT500 Front Bumper (airflow/cooling)
7. 380 brakes in the front, rear for the time being we leave
8. 302R ABS module
9. Oil pan, which is to be decided <-- recommendations? FRPP is to expensive...
10. Shifter fix by Steve when available, else MGW
11. LT-Headers, which to be decided (unless much easier with new K-Member, then maybe later) <-- recommendations?
12. Cat deletes (because of the longtubes) <-- recommendations?
13. Light wheels, very likely again the 18" from Steve
14. Suspension, springs and shocks front and rear <-- what do you recommend, track use only. I like the KW Clubsport, but it has it's price...
15. Oil pressure, oil temp and water temp sensors and gauges <-- recommendations? I am not a fan of the aerforce digital gauges
16. Anything else you think to be added here?

No change at the moment, something for later:
a) Hood
b) Rear brakes
c) 302R rear windshield
d) GT500 fan
e) active oil cooler
f) active rear differential cooler
g) battery relocation
h) clutch and flywheel, to be done when the OEM clutch is gone
i) 302r steering rack
j) bigger radiator, which to be decided
k) mufflers, over axle pipes
l) active transmission cooler

Even later and only perhaps:
- All around the engine itself

And we are also interested in used parts, in case someone is selling some we have listed above.

Cheers,
Orange

Tulsa, OK
So it sounds like you're just building a fun track car that could do HPDEs and Time Trials. Fun!

Do either of you guys have track experience? I might suggest getting the car in good working order and then upgrading as you get used to the car and exploit the weaknesses depending on y'alls experience.

Good luck! The GTs are awesome track cars 8)

cosm3os said:
Probably a good idea to pick a class first, before you do a bunch of work you have to reverse cause its not legal. So, what class?
No class, just fun. :)

roadhouse said:
So it sounds like you're just building a fun track car that could do HPDEs and Time Trials. Fun!

Do either of you guys have track experience? I might suggest getting the car in good working order and then upgrading as you get used to the car and exploit the weaknesses depending on y'alls experience.

Good luck! The GTs are awesome track cars 8)
We both have track experience, me with my Boss where I will move some of the aftermarket parts I have installed to the GT. Due to the damage we have to replace various things in the front and rear end anyway. And as we do not live close by to the US, we can save a lot of money by shipping parts together with the car. ;)

Swiss Boss said:
Any suspension work (shock, spring, sway bar) I would check with Cortex Racing or Vorshlag first.

For headers I went with Kooks, full exhaust. (Headers, H-pipe and catback).
Love the sound!!
That is a good idea, we will get in touch with them to get also their input on it. :)

Grant 302 said:
Sounds like fun!

I didn't see brake ducts on the list, but I assume you'd do those with the 380mm rotors/etc.

That's right, some small stuff like that or oil separator, transmission stiffening insert, boss trans cooler air sco0p etc. I have not listed.

TMO Supporting Vendors