The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Up front: Can I run wide front tires with brake cooling ducting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, title says it all. I want to buy Forgestar F14's for my 13 Boss. Im looking to put 19x11 on rear with 305 wide tires, and 19x10 front with 285's. I've already discussed it with a company, and have determined an offset that will work. However, I also have a FRPP Brake Cooling Duct Kit (Same as Laguna Seca) that I will be installing soon. Does anyone know if I can run these 19x10 wheels with 285 tires up front, and have brake cooling ducting? Or is that going to be too wide of a wheel/tire to fit in there with the ducting? Thanks

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
You may still have some rubbing at full lock. Nothing to worry about. You are hardly ever at full lock. Parking lots mostly.

To keep the wear to a minimum I wrap the ducts with Duct Tape. I bought orange tape at Walmart. The brand they sell is "Duck Tape".

The tape matches well and can be easily replaced as it wears.

I was recommended a +41 offset for the 19x10 fronts and a +53 offset for the 19x11 rears. Will that be sufficient clearance for everything?

Also, good idea on the duct tape! I will be doing that as soon as the kit is installed.

LOL. Have orange duct tape too but haven't used it.......yet.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Once you have the brake ducts installed, one thing you need to be aware of is just how effective they are.

I installed the ducts and then new rotors and Pagid pads. I left the ducts open when I bedded the new pads. Bad Idea.

Apparently I never got the pads and rotors to temperature and had huge problems with build up first track day. This caused a severe pulse when braking and a vibration at all times when moving.

I asked for advice and got it from a few track rats on the site. Block off the intakes, clean the rotors and pads and try again. No issues since.

Enjoy your mods. I have!!! ;D

I have 19 x 10 Forgestars up front with 295 30 19 Michelin PSS. I have +42 offset and use a .065" spacer for caliper clearance. So far no rubbing on the brake duct hose through a few autocross events and HPDE events. My hoses are routed like Arizona Boss mentioned earlier.

I definitely don't want to run spacers or make any suspension changes for my wheels to fit. Would I be safer doing a 9.5" wheel up front? Although I don't know that it would make a difference because I still want to run 285 tires. Also I forgot to mention I'm lowered on T springs.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
arabbit said:
I was recommended a +41 offset for the 19x10 fronts and a +53 offset for the 19x11 rears. Will that be sufficient clearance for everything?

Also, good idea on the duct tape! I will be doing that as soon as the kit is installed.

I'd want at least another mm of clearance, but you're probably okay with +41 on the fronts.

I'd go +55 in the back if the only mod is the T spring.

TMO Supporting Vendors