The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

wheel suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have to say that if you want 18x9.5 wheels for the street, and have a 2013, the 2010 Ford Racing Shelby Convertible wheels are awesome. They are $700 shipped per set, and they look great with the reflective stripe on the 2013's. They are exactly the right offset, and they clear the Brembo brakes. The background on the wheels is a dark metallic charcoal, so they may or may not look great with the black stripes on a 2012.

That is $700 for the whole set, shipped. You have a much wider choice of tires in 18" than in 19" and they are less expensive.

roketman said:
Never to old for the track! Go for it and start living!

I agree. I'm 62 and have been racing in SCCA for twenty years and counting. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up ;) . Plus a race track is the only place to legally appreciate what these cars are capable of. Go for it!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Dave

I also went with the Enkei PF-01s. Great wheels. :) I purchased the silver wheel, larger selection in silver, and had them powdercoated in gloss black. Should last for ever.

Checkout Tirerack www.tirerack.com or LSD lsdmotorsports.com. LSD had a slightly better price. Maybe you can work them both for a deal.

I was also under the impression that there was no place for the over 50 crowd at the track. WRONG. At 51 I was no where the senior person at BTA. MMP was my first time on track. Excellent experience. If all tracks work with individuals as individuals like MMP dies, I may be doing this for many years to come.

Get out there and enjoy.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
coboss said:
I have to say that if you want 18x9.5 wheels for the street, and have a 2013, the 2010 Ford Racing Shelby Convertible wheels are awesome. They are $700 shipped per set, and they look great with the reflective stripe on the 2013's.

Concur on all counts. The only downside is that they are heavy as hell!

JScheier said:
coboss said:
I have to say that if you want 18x9.5 wheels for the street, and have a 2013, the 2010 Ford Racing Shelby Convertible wheels are awesome. They are $700 shipped per set, and they look great with the reflective stripe on the 2013's.

Concur on all counts. The only downside is that they are heavy as hell!

Heavy as hell = ~29lb

They are lighter than the stock wheels and the Ford Racing Laguna Seca wheels......

There is no question that for track use going to a 20lb wheel is an awesome upgrade, but if I had 20lb wheels on my car for everyday use, I'd freak out every time I hit a pothole, and I hit a LOT of potholes. That must suck to dent a $1250 wheel like Forgelines.

If I had $2000 to spend on wheels I would have gone with the set of original red Laguna Seca wheels that were on eBay (with factory TPMS sensors). Those would look awesome on my Race Red 2013.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
coboss said:
Heavy as hell = ~29lb

I was speaking from a 'change the wheels, tote them back to and put them in the tire rack' heavy. People looking for cheap wheels that are good fitment and strong, this is a great option.

People looking for the trifecta (light, strong, cheap) need to look elsewhere.

Just lugged those things up the ladder to the tire rack again last weekend... I'm getting too old :)

...and if anyone in / around Colorado wants to buy a used set, let me know. My D-Force wheels are much easier on the back :)

TMO Supporting Vendors