The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Which spring length?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Finally got a set of MCS with coilovers rear. The kit came with 6” spring but it is definitely too short. I still need to raise the rear about an inch and a half but I only have 2-3 threads left on the shock body. I was certain that a 7” plus helper would fix it but it’s looking like 8”. Do you agree ? Is there an issue going with 8” or will it require too much preload to get the height needed? Sorry for the poor images
By the way I know that at full droop it’s okay for the spring to have play but I prefer it not to

IMG_5105.jpegIMG_5106.jpegIMG_9649.jpeg

Not sure that it will solve your problem entirely, but you're running the shock top mounts in the shortest of the two available positions which looks to give you a ride height of at least 1" less from the picture.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Not sure that it will solve your problem entirely, but you're running the shock top mounts in the shortest of the two available positions which looks to give you a ride height of at least 1" less from the picture.
I was thinking the same. I asked MMR if they ever used the the top holes and they said not. Every MMR kit Ive seen WRTeknica do has used the bottom ones. Cortex with a similar design uses the top holes for Koni coilovers and the bottom for Penske/JRi. I feel like I could but I dont know if that will affect the load the mount sees. Safe bet just points me to an 8" spring.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Okay I just asked again and different response. Yes I can move it up but will require removing the studs. Will go that route most likely with a 7” spring

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Okay I just asked again and different response. Yes I can move it up but will require removing the studs. Will go that route most likely with a 7” spring

With as much thread as you have, it looks like you could go with a 10" if you wanted. I generally use the longest piece of wire possible for springs. If I can make them longer, I do. If I can make them a bigger diameter, I do.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
With as much thread as you have, it looks like you could go with a 10" if you wanted. I generally use the longest piece of wire possible for springs. If I can make them longer, I do. If I can make them a bigger diameter, I do.
Ended up settling for 7” with helper. Moved the shock mount down. All is well now

IMG_5305.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors