The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Why choose the Boss over a used Z06?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready to get a new hot rod. Currently driving a BMW MCoupe. I have 20 years DE events under my belt, master instructor level, club raced for the better part of 10 years. I plan on using the next car for both daily around town use as well as at least 4 track events a year. Care less about ride quality or noise.

I've read all the threads, great forum, good/bad, by the time you add up suspension mods, improved shifters, limp mode and bad dealer experiences, I'm on the fence with the Z06 Vette, 2008.

I was lucky to see the original 69/70 Trans Am races at Watkins Glen as a kid, and have always wanted a Boss 302, SBY

Still I look at the Vette, 505hp w/o cold air induction and headers, aluminum chassis etc... Seems like even money. I'm not buying the car for investment, it will be driven like a rental car.

Help me with your input on why the Boss? Have many of the shifting/limp modes been resolved in the later 2013 models? Thx for your time and input, Tom

I know several guys with Z06's. If you want to go fast on track it's hard to beat a 2008+ Z06. I considered a used Z06 and GT3 before buying my Boss. I wanted the rear seat so my kids could ride in the back seat. I just ordered a roll bar for mine so that's about to come to an end. Not everyone likes the "Vette" image so that's a reason to buy a Boss. Plus the fact that Ford sells turn key race cars using the exact same engine that's used in the Boss is a big plus. Lots of trickle down from the race teams for our cars and a few of the race teams are members here on BMO. Welcome to BMO and good luck with whatever car you buy.

A C6zo6 Is A hell of a car. So is the boss, but the zo6 is on a whole new performance level. Having said that Ive had experience with both, and there is just something about the bosses that makes them special. I cant put my finger on it but there is. That and I get tired of seeing c6 zo6s every where.

Good point, when I club raced a 911, my friend had a T shirt that said "Friends don't let friends drive Corvettes"

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Kids. Mine (8 & 11) don't ride often but they need to be able to, as I don't keep a dd and toy. My car has to serve as both. If my wife isn't with us, my son (11) rides up front, due to lack of leg room in back. Maybe when it's paid off I can get something with more room for duty as the second family car and put the Boss in the toy category. But at that point a 2-seater would finally be acceptable.

If you don't need a back seat, the Z06 is a fine alternative and probably better suited. That said, I love my Boss and agree that it has something special to it. It can certainly hold it's own on the street or track.

I get a lot of people that want to say something good about it. The only car I've had that garnered more comments was a '55 Bel Air 2-door Hardtop w/ 468ci BB. Couldn't take it out without getting into conversations with at least two people, usually more. Everybody had one or knew someone that had one " just like it". The Boss gets half the comments, which is still numerous and a nice reprieve.

Never driven or ridden in a Z06 so I may be putting my foot in my mouth on this one, I just get the feeling on the track a Z06 may not give you the same good fear a Boss does. In no way when I get on the track do I feel like I may kill myself, but it is always fun feeling a little at the mercy of my car depending on what I ask of it. It just seems to have that perfect balance that makes it fun and engaging.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
As someone who runs a LOT of events with NASA, the Z06 was squarely in my sights. Here is some of the issues that were given to my by current Z06 guys (not saying the Boss is perfect... but you didn't ask about that):

1. C5 Z06 - poor oiling system. We have 6 C5 Z06s in our region. Each of them has lost a motor in the last year and a half. One guy has lost two. Really needs to go dry sump to make it last. Eat Hoosiers like candy.

2. C6 Z06 - Heavier car and tends to run hot (I'm at altitude). I've heard a lot of negative feedback concerning not being able to completely defeat the nannies. I've also heard / seen that most of the real track cars are having to swap out front brake calipers as the 6 pad setup is crap and the calipers don't take well to the heat generated in tracking environments. If you look at most of the race cars, they are running non-OEM calipers for this reason. Eat Hoosiers like candy and no good 'compromise' street tires to run on the track (Rival is supposed to come out in Z06 sizes. I haven't followed up).

With that being said, out of the box, both the C5 and C6 Z06 are a total blast on the track. Neither is really that comfortable as a daily driver although the seats in the C6 are far better than any preceding vette. Every one I have driven on the street or track has left me smiling. I had invested a lot of time / energy in finding a used Z06 right up until I was given the OK to buy the boss by my accountant. There are definitely days I regret it... like when the boss overheats or the clutch plate disintegrates. Overall, I think I made the right (albeit expensive) choice.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I went through a debate about C5z06 vs Mustang. I couldn't afford a C6z06. I am skeptical about buying a performance car used, so that was one of the main decidin factors.

I am a huge fan of the z06, but I also have read in the forums they seem to have some engine issues. I don't recall details at the moment, worth investigating. Perhaps no worse than the clutch and tranny issues the mustangs have though.

I owned a C5 in the past (not a Z06) and it was fun. I never tracked the car, but I would imagine that a Z06 would be a very capable track vehicle. That being said...if your intention is also to daily drive the car, the Boss wins in my book. The Boss is very much a Jekyll and Hyde car. It can be tame and well mannered and then in a split second it becomes a snarling monster. The corvette is more seat of your pants missile...and not so great for everyday driving. Just my .02. You really cant go wrong either way. I'm not sure this is an issue for you but as far as the "cool" factor goes. ..the Boss wins hands down. Z06's are a dime a dozen. Boss's are pretty rare.

Nothing pulls like those vettes especially with a head and cam package. Theres something to be said about a 600whp 3100lb NA car. ;D

Why a new (or new-ish) Boss versus a used 'Vette?

There are lots of reasons why I chose the Boss, but here's one clear difference: warranty. My Boss has been a champ in terms of reliability (5 track days so far this year), but it's nice knowing that if the engine were to grenade at 7500 rpm going down the back straight, that's Ford's problem, not mine.

When I bought the car I remember being absolutely gobsmacked that Ford stood behind the car, on the road or at the track. Heck, Ford practically begs you to track it. (And compared to the BMW M3? Well, my M3 friends won't come out to the track to play because BMW told them they'd void their warranty if they did. I'm sorry, but BMW is no longer in the performance game.)

So, in terms of rational arguments, peace of mind is one. But this is a much more subjective decision. Basically, you're trying to optimize at the margin. You won't go wrong with either one. Both will be a ton of fun. It's just a question of which one strikes the right chord with you.

For me, it was easy. Yes, a new Stingray or GT-R or any of the current crop of cyborg cars with more silicon than Pam Anderson would be quicker around the track. But the Boss is just too much fun - a true joy to drive at the limit. It's obnoxious, but in all the right ways, like a really big puppy that just wants to go out and play and run hard. And it's the car I promised 10-year-old me I'd buy.

Isn't it nice to have a choice? Let us know which one you pick.

I have a friend who is very knowledgable on Corvettes. He advised me to stay away from pre-'09 Z06 cars due to a poor wrist pin design that was causing piston slap and failure on the track. Street use they were fine but track use would expose the issue in short order.

Apparently GM corrected this on '09 and later Z06 Corvettes.

What a great group of guys here, I agree with many of your comments, every time I pass a Z06 on the track, the gold chains, I wish I had the extra 200HP that they weren't using. The warranty is a good point. I'd end up putting in a roll bar and doing the RSD, so no rug rat issues for daily driving. I'm amazed how much more a Boss is worth with the Recaro/Torson option. That let's you know most people are really using them at the track. More to think about. Thanks for the input. Ford was smart to only build two years, resale value will always be ensured.

tw78911sc said:
What a great group of guys here, I agree with many of your comments, every time I pass a Z06 on the track, the gold chains, I wish I had the extra 200HP that they weren't using. The warranty is a good point. I'd end up putting in a roll bar and doing the RSD, so no rug rat issues for daily driving. I'm amazed how much more a Boss is worth with the Recaro/Torson option. That let's you know most people are really using them at the track. More to think about. Thanks for the input. Ford was smart to only build two years, resale value will always be ensured.

Theres a million corvettes, theres 8,000 Boss mustangs. ( give or take )

DEye

You can't get there from here...
At 6'3" I wouldn't fit in the Vette with helmet unless the seat was leaned way back, AND my wife would not let me buy th Vette UNLESS it was a C1 ;)

It's hard to imagine the BOSS winning out as the Practicle car ::)

I have 3 friends that had Z06
2 blew up at track day (bone stock) dropped valves
1 also blew at a track day but he had 'oil starvation' even though its a dry pump system.

All 3 had to have their motors rebuilt. If i got a vette it would be a grand sport.

Not all z06's blow but it seems to be a common problem also people say 10+ don't have the issue but some people on the c6 forums posted blowing there motors in 11' and newer models.

The quick fix is new heads/cams/valves/springs/lifters etc. The Z06 is DAMN GOOD CAR!

Black_LS said:
I have 3 friends that had Z06
2 blew up at track day (bone stock) dropped valves
1 also blew at a track day but he had 'oil starvation' even though its a dry pump system.

All 3 had to have their motors rebuilt. If i got a vette it would be a grand sport.

Not all z06's blow but it seems to be a common problem also people say 10+ don't have the issue but some people on the c6 forums posted blowing there motors in 11' and newer models.

The quick fix is new heads/cams/valves/springs/lifters etc. The Z06 is DAMN GOOD CAR!
No doubt they're track monsters. Simple math, 3100 lbs, 13" tires, 500 rwhp with CAI and tune and incredibly aerodynamic. That said I have had two friends grenade their motors at the track, and they've also had their share of clutch issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors