The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Widest tires for the stock rims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
What is the widest tire that will fit on the stock wagon wheels? I'd prefer not to get new rims (brakes and tires cost enough!) but I want the best tire for the buck. Seems the Nitto NT01s are the choice of many on the board but I was hoping to buy from Tire Rack (had good experiences before plus I got a gift certificate from my in-laws for Christmas) and it doesn't seem they carry Nittos anymore, but I can get other needed replacement parts from them if needed.. Also, what's the weight of the wagon wheels?

If you're using them for mostly on the street with an occasional track day the NT01 is not for you not to mention they don't make sizes that fit on stock wheels. Look at the Michelin PSS or Yokomaha AD08 R in a 265/40/19 and 295/35/19 or 265/35/19 and 295/30/19. The 295 is technically too wide for the 9.5" wheel but it will probably not cause much of a problem other than maybe wearing prematurely down the middle. Tire Rack does not sell Nitto's per your other post.

ufnavy06

Yeah, good point Rick. So 265 and 295 are 'workable,' on the wagon wheels. The PSS are the Pilot Super Sports, correct? Those are pretty expensive over some Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110s (almost 2x) on the stock wheel size. I'm torn on the rims since my wife 'agreed' to to the HOD frequent driver thing, so it might be nice to have track rims/tires. But I'm thinking the brakes are the better addition for more frequent track days.

Yes the PSS are expensive but a terrific tire. The V12's are a solid option and should provide more grip for less money than the stock Pirelli's. Brake's are definitely the first step. DOT 4, brake cooling ducts and track/race pads before anything else. The stock suspension is fine for now. I plan on doing several days with HOD so we'll have to get you out to Sonoma and Thunderhill in 2014. 8)

ufnavy06

NFSBOSS said:
Yes the PSS are expensive but a terrific tire. The V12's are a solid option and should provide more grip for less money than the stock Pirelli's. Brake's are definitely the first step. DOT 4, brake cooling ducts and track/race pads before anything else. The stock suspension is fine for now. I plan on doing several days with HOD so we'll have to get you out to Sonoma and Thunderhill in 2014. 8)

I want to do the long Thunderhill when they open that up. I know I'm losing prime track days because we'll be in the Keys come June.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good option when you consider price is to get ahold of Luke Pavlik at the TireRack for a set of Enkei rims ( 18s ). Tons of us are running them and then you can contact Todd Zimmer at GT Racing Tires ( Wisconsin ) and get some used sets of Continental Slicks ( $100 a piece) . You end up having not much more in the rims and used race tires than you would with a full set of Pilot Super Sports. Now you can keep your stock cars for the street and drag your 18s to the track for fun. Do get the brake ducting and use a good DOT 4 ( Like Motul 600 ) as well as track pads ( Using Carbotech 20s on the front and 8s on the back , though many prefer 12s on the front ).

Now your concerns are solved so get out there and rip up Thunderhill !!

ufnavy06

Well that is definitely an option I'll have to think about. Would I need to worry about recalibration with changing the 19"s for the 18"s? I got to imagine I'd need a handheld tuner to fix the ECU, right?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Naw, didn't do a thing, just stuck those 18s on and rock and rolled. I turn everything off, so not sure how it might work with traction control or anything left on?

ufnavy06

Bill Pemberton said:
Naw, didn't do a thing, just stuck those 18s on and rock and rolled. I turn everything off, so not sure how it might work with traction control or anything left on?

That's my problem still, not at that point to turn everything off.

I would avoid the V12s for track use. From what I have read, they start to chunk once they heat up, and that was from autoX guys, so a road course would be worse. You get what you pay for, but it seems like they do great in the rain and have plenty of grip for a cheap summer only tire. I would keep them in mind still for the stock wheels if you go through with dedicated track wheels/tires. You could also try looking up some reviews on the new Mickey Thompson Street Comps, they are made with us in mind (stock sizes and well priced). I chose BFG Sport Comp 2s for street and occasional track duty. Don't want to deal with an R compound suddenly breaking away at my experience level.

AT and TC create some weird vehicle dynamics and, worse, they overheat the brakes. I disable them as part of my "pre-flight" checklist before going out on track. Wish that TK disabled them by default.

ufnavy06

Maybe I'll have to drive closer to 75% with those nannies off until I get comfy. It's tempting. Did any of you do it on the street first or just scale back on the track the first time?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel