The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Budget street/hpd tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Looking into what tires I should buy for a good street tires and decent track/autoX tire. This will be my first season for lapping so I’m almost certain tires won’t be my limiting factor in lap times. Looking for something durable good for street and track and budget friendly

Monaca Pa
I had been talking to Cornerz and his contis would only get him one season of street and track use. Are there any other tires that may be more durable
That’s why I have the Continental Sports on stock wheels for street use and track tires on Apex 19x11 wheels. I have to buy new track tires every year BUT if I took it easy at the track they would last more then a season of Track Nights. My track tires are street legal but not real good in the rain..

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Tires that last over a year with track and autocross time ( reasonable amount of both ), along with street use are going to be Flintstone rock rubber. Lasting a year, autocrossing, tracking and driving on the street is a good tire, but not likely great since the majority of us who track alot will go through at least a couple sets of tires in a year ........and some will use many more. A year of use is a solid barometer, and a Continental Extreme Force is a tire that will get decent wear, though it is not a fast autocross tire. It is an Endurance based track tire , so it will last longer than many, but it and others like it will possibly go beyond a year of use , but looking for tires that last forever will not be much fun at either a track or autocross venue in my opinion. Best option to go fast is tires, so keep that in mind for your budget, and compared to some other mods that folks dive into before ever getting a good set of rubber often cost a bunch more.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
I run Firestone Firehawk 500's on my old FoxBody. They are a 340tw. I run 3 track days and 5 autocrosses a season and they'll last two years. Although I rarely street drive them. They are connected enough to feel what they are doing with the road, pliable enough to allow for some errors and sticky enough to be competitively fast. For comparison, at Road America I am lapping at top 10 American Iron qualifying times.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dear jchady,

If you ran as quick as the top 10 American Iron cars at RA, you probably could have beaten all of them with a decent set of tires, ha. Running on Hawks for two years, even with little street driving, I would politely suggest you get some sticky rubber because you may shock yourself at how fast you really are?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
More track focused tires will also aid you in the braking zone. I run Falken RT660 (200tw) for dampish conditions, green track or rain coming but they’re also pretty good in the dry. I run the Michelin cup 2’s (180tw) in the sunny, dry, no chance of rain. So, like black sheep said, 2 sets. For what it’s worth, I don’t do a whole lot of street driving, but if I do, I run the RT660 tires. Tires are part of the safety program for track cars so its not a place to go budget (IMO).

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
For someone starting out track days, I recommend a tire that has good heat tolerance rather than outright pace. To be able to learn car control skills easily, you need a tire that can handle being driven reasonably hard for a full session and is very consistent over that duration. The "endurance 200" type of tire is probably the best starting point, but being that you also want to street drive it in Nova Scotia (and probably have more wet/chilly track days than SoCal), I'd also look for a tire with good wet performance and decent warm-up characteristics.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
You really need 2 sets of wheel n tires. The biggest problem I see is guys trying to make street ( really hard) tires work on the track, or track ( really soft) tires work on the street. Throw that in with excessive heat cycles and you prolly won't be happy.
This is the conclusion I have come to aswell. I have a set of Goodyear eagle f1s that I think I’ll be running on the street and I’ll find a 200TW track tire

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
That’s why I have the Continental Sports on stock wheels for street use and track tires on Apex 19x11 wheels. I have to buy new track tires every year BUT if I took it easy at the track they would last more then a season of Track Nights. My track tires are street legal but not real good in the rain..
I think 2 sets is the answer. This is the consensus lots of people I’ve talked to have come to

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
More track focused tires will also aid you in the braking zone. I run Falken RT660 (200tw) for dampish conditions, green track or rain coming but they’re also pretty good in the dry. I run the Michelin cup 2’s (180tw) in the sunny, dry, no chance of rain. So, like black sheep said, 2 sets. For what it’s worth, I don’t do a whole lot of street driving, but if I do, I run the RT660 tires. Tires are part of the safety program for track cars so its not a place to go budget (IMO).
I had been looking at the cup 2 but unfortunately they don’t make them in the correct width in an 18 inch tire which is the wheel size I currently have. The Falkens are something I’ll have to look into

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You can flip the Falkens on the wheel and that is one benefit for tire life. I have run a ton of Cup2s over the years and they are fast but they are not a good autocross tire, and they do wear reasonably quick on the track. The Falkens give you one of the better autocross tires out there and they are a solid, quick track tire, and much better on the street or in the rain than a Cup 2. The Cup 2 , Goodyear SC3R, and the Pirelli Trofeo all have a similar tire design and all three are ice skates in the rain.

I would consider going with the a set of Apex wheels as they are hub centric and they are on sale at present , which helps with the Loonie's value to the dollar. Going back to your budget you might also consult some of the Trackrats who run at Atlantic Motorsports Park since they will have a good idea what tire works on the surface there. There are some other Nova Scotians on here so someone may pop in, but if they do not reach out because I seem to remember one gentleman I chatted with some years back that the track was rather coarse. He also mentioned that a repave was in the future plans, but I am not sure if that ever occurred? Good luck and glad to have you here!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
BS1, the gentleman is in Nova Scotia, Canada and the cost to ship and their taxes would make the purchase ridiculously high. He would be better off to get a set of tires through a large Wholesaler who covers most or all of the Provinces.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel