The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winterfest at VIR February 7/8th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
Thanks Darren
Have the coilovers on the car and just ordered 300lb/in and 350lb/in springs to go with the 375lb/in rear springs I have installed. This weekend will be a shakedown/testing session for me to get used to the new setup. Drove the car around on the street a little today and it feels like it has cement springs in it, gonna take a little getting used to. Wish you were coming but we'll catch up later in the year.
Steve

Yep. Superfest for sure.

And don't be discouraged by how it feels driving around. My car rides and sounds like a rusty battleship around the paddock but dances like a gazelle at speed - the stiff springs come alive when you're pounding the snot out of them. Trust them through the esses without a brake check and you'll get a big confidence boost.

Just got off the phone with Tony and should be there Friday afternoon. First time to VIR sounds like it should be fun.

Matt

DGRacing said:
Yep. Superfest for sure.

And don't be discouraged by how it feels driving around. My car rides and sounds like a rusty battleship around the paddock but dances like a gazelle at speed - the stiff springs come alive when you're pounding the snot out of them. Trust them through the esses without a brake check and you'll get a big confidence boost.

+1 :)

I will be there I hope. Just got done plowing snow and shoveling off the trailer. Steve any hints about this trip? Doing it in 2 days stopping at a friends house Thursday in Harrisburg PA for the night. Looks like maybe 6 hours on Friday.

Matt

mustangmatt said:
I will be there I hope. Just got done plowing snow and shoveling off the trailer. Steve any hints about this trip? Doing it in 2 days stopping at a friends house Thursday in Harrisburg PA for the night. Looks like maybe 6 hours on Friday.

Possibility of more snow here in the northeast on Thursday.

Matt

Dropped my car off at Crossroads Ford in Kernersville this AM for P0300 code, tech inspection, brake/clutch flush (trying Castrol SRF for the first time), and oil change. I'm hoping to make it Sunday for a day of fun. Weather look good so far, highs in the mid 60's!

My car in front of further 's car at Ford service today 8)

Can not wait!!!

1496553_10204032450717214_4572844142026162574_o.jpg

For those newbs going to VIR this weekend, read this tip guide. It translates pretty well to the boss actually.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/09/VIRtrackguide.html
5736916866_1fbc3e8b2b_b.jpg

DGRacing said:
For those newbs going to VIR this weekend, read this tip guide. It translates pretty well to the boss actually.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/09/VIRtrackguide.html
5736916866_1fbc3e8b2b_b.jpg

Thanks, I read through it and a lot makes sense. I am so used to wheeling around this track in a Miata or Atom, and the Mustang is such a different car to push. I feel things in the Mustang that I did not feel in the lighter cars. #1, T9 is big brake fest for me, the car just does not want to rotate, I have since tightened up my rear sway bar with hopes of this helping. #2, slowing this car down at the end of the backstretch never feels smooth, I always feel on the edge of traction in the braking zones, I guess this is the nature of the "beast" though! #3, this car hauls butt, but I am still at least 10 seconds faster in the Atom (2:04 on old pavement in Atom), but then again the Atom is a bare bones race car that I trailered to the track, and I turn the AC and radio on in the mustang on my way home! Just a few things I've noticed, and I kind of expected before purchasing the Stang, I still love it though!

Cool. Keep at it. For #9 it will expose setup issues for sure and pushing there is a common problem. Try a later apex, turn in with more initial steering input. If you're too early and gradual with the steering you'll push. Let the suspension work. I use throttle oversteer there if I drop a gear before apex.

I run 2:04 in my boss now but will crack sub 2:00 by May.

Stiffer springs and dampers will cure that unsettled feeling in high speed brake zones or aero.

NFSBOSS said:
Any update from this event?

It was awesome! Great weather and good to see everybody again.

I'll have video up later in the week. I know Tony took some photos too, and I'm looking forward to seeing those.

I had a ton of fun, this was the first time I was able to get TONS of open track in the Boss. It was nice to meet the people from this site and see their awesome cars, it was great to run with a flock of Mustangs at the same time, something I haven't been able to do before.

DGRacing said:
Cool. Keep at it. For #9 it will expose setup issues for sure and pushing there is a common problem. Try a later apex, turn in with more initial steering input. If you're too early and gradual with the steering you'll push. Let the suspension work. I use throttle oversteer there if I drop a gear before apex.

I run 2:04 in my boss now but will crack sub 2:00 by May.

Stiffer springs and dampers will cure that unsettled feeling in high speed brake zones or aero.

Holy cow 2:04 is hauling! I was able to get 2:11's with my theoretical best being a 2:10.5. I think that with slicks it would be a bit quicker, but I enjoy driving the Boss to the track and back. After I figure out how to overlay my go-pro with the data from HLT I will post it, 2:11 on street tires was pretty sketchy to say the least, but I love working the wheel. For T9 I found that stiffening the rear sway helped a lot and also setting the nose down pretty hard with the brakes worked well too, the Mustang is a different car to drive but I am more impressed now that I've learned to drive it a little better.

I will admit I tried too hard Sunday afternoon and went off at T17 which subsequently caught the dry grass on fire, it was a wild ride but a good learning experience to put things into perspective.

BOSSSTANG said:
Holy cow 2:04 is hauling! I was able to get 2:11's with my theoretical best being a 2:10.5. I think that with slicks it would be a bit quicker, but I enjoy driving the Boss to the track and back. After I figure out how to overlay my go-pro with the data from HLT I will post it, 2:11 on street tires was pretty sketchy to say the least, but I love working the wheel. For T9 I found that stiffening the rear sway helped a lot and also setting the nose down pretty hard with the brakes worked well too, the Mustang is a different car to drive but I am more impressed now that I've learned to drive it a little better.

I will admit I tried too hard Sunday afternoon and went off at T17 which subsequently caught the dry grass on fire, it was a wild ride but a good learning experience to put things into perspective.

Here's a vid of it (from last year, pre-cage etc). But I can't for the life of me figure out why youtube is chopping the last second off. My MP4 is 2:04 long on my hard drive but after uploading, it's 2:03 and a couple frames truncated. wierd. Anyway. enjoy. NOTE: My data logging devices ran out of battery so no overlay and this one has wind noise so turn your volume down. Normally I use the audio from an internal camera syncd with this (dead battery too).

Take a look at my steering inputs entering T1 and T10, two slow places where if you're too gradual you will push. However, I'm in near-full race trim with comp slicks, so I wouldn't be that abrupt on R's or street tires, or without heavy aero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptyW741jrek

TMO Supporting Vendors