The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You will be fine Fabman, as the tax plan from what I heard ( from a friend it will affect ) is for folks who have extreme wealth and are leaving the State --- I believe $30 million or more. It will take a portion of the wealth for 10 years after they leave,, around 1% I believe. Some people believe those same uber wealthy folks will either band together in a lawsuit , or they will have the funds to legally avoid any issue. I won't list the idea my friend told me he could use to avoid it , as I am sworn to secrecy, ha. You won't have any problem, nor will 99% of folks I know in the Golden State.

CA
This is my home track where I raced stock cars for many years.
Each race is $3000.00 to win, and last place pays $400.00.
Meanwhile we are currently paying $700.00 + to enter, and road racing for what….zero to win?View attachment 93042
Yeah, that’s right. Zero.

View attachment 93041
If you get 1st in NASA TT you get a two free Hoosiers right? Build your car around the A7/R7 and never have to pay for tires again. That's my plan.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
If you get 1st in NASA TT you get a two free Hoosiers right? Build your car around the A7/R7 and never have to pay for tires again. That's my plan.
Open class TT cars are much lighter and more powerful as you can get away with murder if you're only going at it for a couple laps, not to mention the crazy aero.
My car was built for battle, and it does that well. Different challenge I'm afraid. Probably would be near the tail end of the field in a real TT event.
Plus, I'm not that great of a qualifier, but get me in traffic and that's where I shine. I'm a old Stock car pilot...and that experience has done me well so far.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Totally relate to enjoying battling through the crowd Fabman, as some of my favorite races were where I screwed up, got to the grid late and had to start from the back. Time Trials are fun, but not as much fun as the working your way through a gaggle of competitors who are not going to just let you get by, which is pretty common in a TT Event.

Monaca Pa
This is my home track where I raced stock cars for many years.
Each race is $3000.00 to win, and last place pays $400.00.
Meanwhile we are currently paying $700.00 + to enter, and road racing for what….zero to win?View attachment 93042
Yeah, that’s right. Zero.

View attachment 93041
If there are few spectators at the races like in karting we never got any money. The cost of track rental is crazy money and if the car/kart count is low the organizers take a big loss.
This is why I like Track Night in America, it’s usually once a month and I enjoy beating the crap out of my car on track 😱

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That's the one. Reminds me of Zanardi's "The Pass'' in 1996.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
IMG_6749.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I left Kevin alone in the shop and he found 6 more pounds from an already gutted door.
That's 12.284 pounds for the pair and they don't look half bad!1f970.png

IMG_9685.jpgIMG_9686.jpgIMG_9687.jpgIMG_9688.jpg

I read somewhere that 50 pounds is worth about a half second on track so, I set him loose and just closed my eyes.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Correct thought on weight, since Ye Olde Rule of Thumb is a 100 lb loss is worth 1 second improvement in time on a 2 mile road course! I just wanted to know who you were going to mail those 12 total pounds of scavenged metal to, ha!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I just wanted to know who you were going to mail those 12 total pounds of scavenged metal to, ha!
To the competition.

I'm planning on running with the US Touring car championship series this year.
There is an actual payout and prizes awarded and its broadcast on NBC TV. The vids are pretty cool with driver interviews etc. A sort of broke dick nascar if you will.
I have to run in GT which is the top class, against tube frame cars including some Transam cars that somehow get a weight break while I have to weigh .5 pounds per hp more than they do. (which I don't understand)
So you can have a tube frame pro built race car but I get a weight penalty for running the car I used to drive to work. Makes sense. :mad:
I can't even make the weight they gave me so we are looking to even up the score a little.
These guys don't know me....Don't give me a challenge....and don't give @Albino500 a grinder!

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Me: RWD Solid axle Production car: 5.8 pounds/hp
Them: RWD solid axle (w/15" wheels) Tube frame car: 5.3 pounds/hp
What kind of sense does this make?

Screenshot 2024-03-14 163942.png

Screenshot 2024-03-14 165633.png

Only 710 pounds to go...better order some more grinding wheels.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors